Jotul 602 problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
You need to stop guessing. Do you have a 24" level? If so put it on the stove op and then on the cook plate to see whether the suspicion of warping is verifiable or speculation.

I doubt you did anything wrong with your break in fire. Those stoves are a lot tougher than that! I do think this may be a fairly common problem. The reason I say that, is in 1979 I bought one of the older versions of the 602 new from our local dealer. After using it for a short period of time, I noticed the same wobble you have on yours. I told the dealer about it and they got me a new cook plate. The new one was much better, but there was still some wobble. Don't remember if I just got used to it or gasketed it at that point. Never caused a problem with the burn, though.

We recently installed a newer 602 N version at our cabin. I bought it used, though it hadn't had a lot of use before I got it. It also has a slight wobble of the cook plate, though it isn't nearly as bad as the one I originally had on that first stove. I found that the wobble could be minimized by rotating the cook plate. At its best spot it is very minimal. I would contact your dealer, and if you don't get anywhere with them, just gasket it with one of the thin gaskets that you might use for door glass.

You need to stop guessing. Do you have a 24" level? If so put it on the stove op and then on the cook plate to see whether the suspicion of warping is verifiable or speculation.
I have done this numerous times to over check ever squeezing of the top and it’s level I’m not guessing on flatness of the stove top itself it’s the lip on the inside

I doubt you did anything wrong with your break in fire. Those stoves are a lot tougher than that! I do think this may be a fairly common problem. The reason I say that, is in 1979 I bought one of the older versions of the 602 new from our local dealer. After using it for a short period of time, I noticed the same wobble you have on yours. I told the dealer about it and they got me a new cook plate. The new one was much better, but there was still some wobble. Don't remember if I just got used to it or gasketed it at that point. Never caused a problem with the burn, though.

We recently installed a newer 602 N version at our cabin. I bought it used, though it hadn't had a lot of use before I got it. It also has a slight wobble of the cook plate, though it isn't nearly as bad as the one I originally had on that first stove. I found that the wobble could be minimized by rotating the cook plate. At its best spot it is very minimal. I would contact your dealer, and if you don't get anywhere with them, just gasket it with one of the thin gaskets that you might use for door glass.
Gasket seems to be what I’m going to do until I get in touch with the dealer and until he can get a fix for it. But that might be some time. They don’t get very many shipments and from my experience with them when they do it takes quite some time