Jotul 118 replacement suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Old118

Jan 4, 2020
Ashfield
We have a Jotul 118 that has been heating our house for 20 years. I bought it used off the side of the road, not knowing what a fantastic stove it would turn out to be. Over the years it has suffered some very high temps from operating error, and I am afraid it is time for a “new one”. Can you recommend a “cigar burn style” stove that will perform as well as an original 118 and meets The new epa standards? Thank you so much.

What is your house like? I don't know if Jotul is continuing the 118, but the 602 V2 is 2020 EPA compliant. My Morso 2B Classic is not 2020 compliant, but is 2015 compliant but slightly smaller than the 118. Not many smaller cigar style stoves anymore.

What is your house like? I don't know if Jotul is continuing the 118, but the 602 V2 is 2020 EPA compliant. My Morso 2B Classic is not 2020 compliant, but is 2015 compliant but slightly smaller than the 118. Not many smaller cigar style stoves anymore.
Thank you. The 118 heats an open room of about 1000sqft with high ceilings and lots of glass (requiring 60,000 btu?). One caveat is I currently have 20” wood... might just need to wait till next year and get shorter wood. The Morso 2B classic would be a good fit for my hearth configuration, but do you think it would put out enough heat?

Jotul updated this model with the F118CB. It had some initial issues, but they did improve it in the later models. Unfortunately we are in a transition time when older stoves will not be updated for a while if at all, to meet the 2020 EPA standards. It could be a challenge finding the right stove. I don't think the little Jotul F602CB v2 or the Morso 2B would satisfy. The F118 was capable of some serious heat output over a longer period of time. You might try and locate a Buck 261. It is not as good looking, but is a similar design. I

Or you could be on the lookout for an excellent condition used F118. They do show up from time to time in the $800-1200 range. Another classic would be a used Lange stove like the 6302 or 6203.

Or you could consider getting a Jotul F500 which is an EW loader. Sort of like an F118 with a door and window on the side. That will take your current wood length.

Reactions: SpaceBus
@Old118 there is a posting for top condition Lange stoves in the classified forum here. It is in New York.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Good afternoon. Is your 118 the enameled green type or black? I am looking for the rear panel if it is in good shape. Thanks!