Jotul 118 lower legs ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

macrumpel

Oct 5, 2016
France
Hello to all jotul 118 users,

I would like to install a used 118 to heat two 40m2 salons in an 19th century house. The evacuation would be by the old fireplaces chimney.

The later has a height of 64 cm, 12 cm to low for the 118 rear tube.

So would it be possible to shorten the legs of the 118?

Thank you very much!

Hubertus

There ARE no short leg kits for the F118 Black Bear, but you CAN cut the legs with a sawzall.
Whether or not you can cut & then grind the burred edges evenly so the stove sits level is an unknown.
You don't have to worry about warranty issues, but you may have to increase the R-Value of your hearthpad.

Thanks that is useful

How much could I shorten the legs? I would need to gain 12cm... would this be doable?

And for the heat shield. Is this the one on the floor or beneath the stove which needs to be augmented? How much?

It is for a beautiful used brown enamel 118!

Best wishes from France

12cm is a large drop. That is going to put the bottom of the stove much closer to the hearth. The hearth would need to be very well protected and a bottom heat shield on the stove would be mandatory.

What is the construction of the current hearth?

Jotul 118 lower legs ?

Actually nothing. There is wood flooring and stone near the fire place. I will attach a photo:

The photo did not come through. Can you try again?

Personally I would not lower the stove that much ( 12cm = almost 5") unless this was being installed on a full fireplace hearth. We don't know what the insulation value that would be needed in order to properly protect the floor, but my guess is that it would be high. That would mean quite a thick hearth which would raise the stove even higher. I think either another approach needs to be taken or another stove must be found with a lower flue exit.

Last edited:
I think you are right. We have 2x40m2 with a 3.5 m large passage between.
Might be the jotul 602 would do the job, even the 19th building has no insulation other than its big walls.

For the photo, I try...
Jotul 118 lower legs ?

Best wishes

Is there another fireplace in the other salon on the other side of this fireplace?

The reason I ask is because there is the option to have a stainless steel liner dropped down that chimney (only if it has a separate flue pipe) and then to tap into the liner higher, above the fireplace opening. This might be ok if the other fireplace is simple and plain. If it is as nice as the one pictured then maybe that is not an option.

I understand. It is not in marble but still in old wood paneling, so it would not be a real option.

What do you think about the 602?

Hubertus

The F602 is a good, small room heater. It will work better than the fireplace at heating one room and maybe a bit of the other during normal French winter weather, but if a mistral hits and it gets below freezing it may have trouble keeping the room at 15-20ºC. The F602 will need to be reloaded about every 2-4 hours. The F118 can go 6-8 hrs between reloads.

What I did not mention is that it would be a secondary heating, the primary is central wood with pellets.

But we would like to reduce pellet consumption, the comfort of a stove and then we have a lot of wood in the fields.

I think we are between the 602 and 118. A pity that the latter seems really too high for our chimney

This happens. In many homes there may be an alternative, like going out a wall, but not so many in a period home with classy fireplaces.

Indeed, one cannot have all benefits!

Anyway, the look of the classic jotul
Goes with every style!

Will let you know once decided what to install

Status
Not open for further replies.