It doesn't get any easier

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

marty319

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2014
Belair mb
I'm going to be 70 at the end of the month and still in reasonably good shape but I really can feel it this year cutting my 5 cords.I'm 2 cords in and have till the end of November to get this done weather permitting. Taking it a lot slower.

I'm going to be 70 at the end of the month and still in reasonably good shape but I really can feel it this year cutting my 5 cords.I'm 2 cords in and have till the end of November to get this done weather permitting. Taking it a lot slower.
I am lucky enough to still be in my 20's (until march) so I can get a lot done and still feel pretty good. I do some trading with a neighbor who has acquired lots of tools, tractors, and other goodies that he lets me use in exchange for a hand on projects that benefit from a guy my age. Easier said than done but reaching out for a hand can be helpful and whoever helps you would likely benefit from your years of knowledge and experience in whatever the task is.

Definitely something I’m concerned about. I’m 53 now and worry about keeping up with CSS 5 cords of wood every year. I’m hopeful that with a good saw, hydraulic splitter and lawn tractor to help haul wood around eases some of the burden the body can take with this hobby.
How do you manage while in your 70s? Are you CSS your own wood? Do you get logs delivered or are you out in the woods cutting down trees still?

Yes I'm still in the bush cutting,my ranger holds about 1/3 cord.i cut stove length in the bush then come home to split and stack,wiener dog keeps me great company

[Hearth.com] It doesn't get any easier [Hearth.com] It doesn't get any easier

I'm past my mid 60's so 70 is just around the corner, it sure doesn't get any easier.
Still a young-un. BrotherBart and I were born the same year. I stopped scrounging a couple years ago. Sold the saw last year, this year the splitter will be sold., buying cordwood now.

Welcome to my world. The I wish I were 30 again this job took an hour, and now it takes 2 days

Still a young-un. BrotherBart and I were born the same year. I stopped scrounging a couple years ago. Sold the saw last year, this year the splitter will be sold., buying cordwood now.
We've talked about ordering wood but I'm not there yet even though it would be easier.

We've talked about ordering wood but I'm not there yet even though it would be easier.
Give it a decade and the decision is easier. My knees finally said enough.

FB memory came up yesterday showing that 9 years ago I moved 5 tons of wood pellets from my yard to the garage in one day.

I'm either getting weaker (physically amd/or in mental want-to), or I'm getting smarter as I wouldn't even try that today. I had 4 tons out in my yard this summer, and I moved it on two different days (evenly split at 2 tons each day). Of course moving each ton is like moving that ton twice - pick up each bag and put it in the Explorer, then pick up each bag from the Explorer and stack it in garage. so, it is not only strength, but a bit of gymnastics too :)

I'm 62, so in another 10 years I'll probably be down to moving 1 ton per day.

Reactions: jmb6420
FB memory came up yesterday showing that 9 years ago I moved 5 tons of wood pellets from my yard to the garage in one day.

I'm either getting weaker (physically amd/or in mental want-to), or I'm getting smarter as I wouldn't even try that today. I had 4 tons out in my yard this summer, and I moved it on two different days (evenly split at 2 tons each day). Of course moving each ton is like moving that ton twice - pick up each bag and put it in the Explorer, then pick up each bag from the Explorer and stack it in garage. so, it is not only strength, but a bit of gymnastics too :)

I'm 62, so in another 10 years I'll probably be down to moving 1 ton per day.
I think I know how you feel. Now at 75 my two sons come over and put 2 skids (3Ton)
in the back porch in 30 minutes but they are 2 strong as Bulls Farmers. It is what every
old man needs his own forklifts

I will be 80 real soon and it does not get any easier. I call it a maturation period of time and I think it starts about 67 and this I call the danger period for getting ready for the future. You people have worked all your lives with heavy work and are used to it and you just think you can do things when you cannot---this is the dangerous aspect of this all...Sure you can lay cement for you did it all your lives--no big thing--or cutting wood and hauling it or getting on a roof--no problem you always did that type of work and the first warning is "overdoing it"---pulled muscles--back problems--falling or tripping -----you whole body is changing and its not very pleasing. The worse part of it is trying to do things now because you have always done it...Be on guard about the age of 67----because this starts off a whole new category of things---hurt backs, broken arms, legs, broken hips--etc etc and just be careful and think before you do heavier things so that you can maintain your health in the your coming senior life-think, think and beware of what you can do and what you should not try to do and get help--having a family is just a blessing for you so get their help when needed. Sure do hope every one of us lives over 100 and be around our love ones and see what they are up to and life goes on and bless everyone of you...Sure you can walk on that low amount of ice---think, think, and think again.. clancey

Reactions: jmb6420
I will be 80 real soon and it does not get any easier. I call it a maturation period of time and I think it starts about 67 and this I call the danger period for getting ready for the future. You people have worked all your lives with heavy work and are used to it and you just think you can do things when you cannot---this is the dangerous aspect of this all...Sure you can lay cement for you did it all your lives--no big thing--or cutting wood and hauling it or getting on a roof--no problem you always did that type of work and the first warning is "overdoing it"---pulled muscles--back problems--falling or tripping -----you whole body is changing and its not very pleasing. The worse part of it is trying to do things now because you have always done it...Be on guard about the age of 67----because this starts off a whole new category of things---hurt backs, broken arms, legs, broken hips--etc etc and just be careful and think before you do heavier things so that you can maintain your health in the your coming senior life-think, think and beware of what you can do and what you should not try to do and get help--having a family is just a blessing for you so get their help when needed. Sure do hope every one of us lives over 100 and be around our love ones and see what they are up to and life goes on and bless everyone of you...Sure you can walk on that low amount of ice---think, think, and think again.. clancey
Yeah i'm 59 and the tall ladders are the 1st thing i'm getting warry of. Next is roofs, although i still get up and shovel it in Utah and sweep chimney from the top here in NJ.

But still working the body hard as that keeps the body strong, until it doesn't.

Sure do hope every one of us lives over 100 and be around our love ones and see what they are up to and life goes on and bless everyone of you...Sure you can walk on that low amount of ice---think, think, and think again.. clancey

Please don't curse me with living to 100 - that is not my thing. I definitely want to go before alzheimers gets me - which family history says I have a high chance of.

I"m with you on that but there is still hope with today's medicines and you seem to be just fine for now...keep plugging.., and working--ugh....clancey

I remember my wife’s mother saying ‘Getting old is not for the faint of heart’. While that may be true so much of it is what you make it. Of course little luck with genes doesn’t hurt either. My dad, despite a couple of serious surgeries and many of the things that come with aging, he stayed very active, took up golf after retirement, made new friends, stayed busy with family, kept up with yardwork on his few acres and cleaned gutters until an undiagnosed tick bourne disease took him down at 93. If I’m half as smart that way I’ll keep on enjoying all I can, whatever comes my way.

Reactions: clancey
Tennis elbow...
It's certainly easier without tennis elbow...
I wouldn't have guessed that tennis elbow would slow me down!
Look on youtube for finger stretches, indian rope burn, and pressure rubs for tennis elbow. They do work over time. Tennis elbow can come and go. Also your keyboard and remote control can exacerbate it. The good news is tennis elbow is "self limiting" according to our surgeon that works on hands, wrists etc.

I've also found that hand splitting (with my light maul) can actually help my lower back, and sometimes tennis elbow as well.

Yes, it definitely comes and goes, has been for more than 5 years. I just don't give it the rest it wants, physical job, acreage, and motorcycles are the worst offenders.
Thanks! I'll have to check YouTube more, I have found a bit of relief with naproxen and Voltaren. I do believe it wants rest but it's not the season for rest!

Reactions: clancey
If funny how we all come up with different solutions to help our getting old parts and if they work I say "go for it"...I have elbow problems to and that's after I have broke my lower arm in two places, my elbow and three vertebrae in my back and of course one finger. That's when I was stupid and did not heed the warnings of my body--for I tried to run in the yard with my doggie and trip on a hose--that hurt--broken vertebrae oh lets not forget a broken shoulder because I thought that I could work on ice with bad shoes---brother it goes on so be careful and safe everyone and "know" your limitations especially with "weight" for you get hernia's from that as well as other problems--muscles etc etc....Bless and stay safe and believe me its easier to say then do especially when you want to drag a piece of wood or something in you day to day work or even lifting a furniture piece.
These little chores are enticing too but think and get a younger person to lift and remove things for you--I am still learning...ugh....clancey

For Tennis elbow and something similar.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: GG Woody
And this is a new method for tennis elbow.

Reactions: GG Woody