Issues building fire on the first try

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
NH_Wood said:
oldspark said:
Oak is not worth a crap for starting fires, is your maple soft or hard, you need a less dense wood for starting fires and Oak is not it, Oak needs a good bed of coals to catch fire. Are you checking the splits for moisture on a fresh split and not on the outside?

Oldspark is dead on here - oak or other very dense wood is a bear to use when starting fresh fires - using less dense woods, red maple, white birch, cherry, etc., are great for adding to an early fire at this time of year (keep them split on the smaller side). Cheers!

Sounds good, if you actually HAVE red maple, white birch, cherry, etc. However... I only have oak and a wee bit of hickory. I not only make due with it... I do very well with it. That's pretty much all I burn and have no problem with getting a fire started with it.

And I don't use lighter fluid!

Kenster said:
NH_Wood said:
oldspark said:
Oak is not worth a crap for starting fires, is your maple soft or hard, you need a less dense wood for starting fires and Oak is not it, Oak needs a good bed of coals to catch fire. Are you checking the splits for moisture on a fresh split and not on the outside?

Oldspark is dead on here - oak or other very dense wood is a bear to use when starting fresh fires - using less dense woods, red maple, white birch, cherry, etc., are great for adding to an early fire at this time of year (keep them split on the smaller side). Cheers!

Sounds good, if you actually HAVE red maple, white birch, cherry, etc. However... I only have oak and a wee bit of hickory. I not only make due with it... I do very well with it. That's pretty much all I burn and have no problem with getting a fire started with it.

And I don't use lighter fluid!
I tried it years ago with the old stove and it sucks when compared to a less dense wood but if that is the only game in town you have to play it.

Status
Not open for further replies.