Portway stove not getting hot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hey all

So it appears that the problem was the logs as @stoveliker suggested. I got some wood from another supplier who assured me it was bone dry and I got the fire roaring away and heating the whole room as I hoped it would.

Thank you so much to everyone who helped me out and offered solutions - I appreciate you taking the time to reply to me.

Oh thank you for this super reply, I'll search for another supplier today and lookout for those punky logs.

So as its a twin wall, I light a small kindling fire first to push the cold air out as advised by the guy who fitted it. The only time I've had smoke in the room is when I've jumped the gun and put a log on too early. So, no I don't get smoke in the room unless I make a mistake.

When the logs are on, I attempt to shut down the bottom vent and it almost immediately starts dying so I open it up again and it seems okay but I still have the issue of not getting hot.

So the temp outside is around 5 -10 degrees at the moment.

Yes I tried coal to rule out the log issue but it still didn't get hot. I put quite a bit on too. Plus the Carbon monoxide alarm woke me up at 4am, I assume as it was dying out it released poisonous gas!

I don't seem to be having much luck with this and I'm so grateful for all your replies. The vision I had of me being toasty warm has gone out of the window and it's so disheartening after saving up so much money to have it fitted and I was literally counting down the days until it was installed. However all your suggestions and help have given me a bit of hope so I can't thank you all enough 😊
YOU NEED DRY WOOD !!!! hehe the difference will amaze you // get a tester split the wood to get inner reading / do not trust wood venders, test it / be ready to buy your wood a year in advanced and dry it yourself for the last year/ as most vender dry one season and it takes two / if your stuck go buy a 2x4 and cut it up for a test

They’re priced in English pounds, not dollars.
I get that its in pounds, used a few of them to get pints of cask ale when I'm in England lol but still the pound is only 1.26 to the dollar so that makes it $854.00 usd which seems cheap