Installed new stone hearth - how long to let mortar cure?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ansel

Feb 1, 2020
North Carolina
I recently installed a new stone hearth behind my woodstove which I am quite happy about and excited to use. As of now it has been two and a half days since the last significant coat of mortar (not including touch ups). I used Type S mortar for the vertical sections and quickrete mortar mix on the floor (before I realized I needed better quality ie. type S).

This was my first time doing stonework so I would say I did a moderately good job of installing it and am concerned about starting a fire too early and weakening the mortar. I've been poking around and have been seeing folks say 24 hrs, 4 days, or 10 days +. Some folks even say 28.. so I thought I would make an account and ask here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm really excited to get a fire going in the new hearth.

Pic doesn't include the woodstove which is a glass door, mid size 6" pipe stove

Attachments

• Installed new stone hearth - how long to let mortar cure?
    stonehearth.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 213
I'm no expert, but I'd wait a week. Looks nice, you did ok for a first try. What stove will this be for?

Note that the stove backsplash does not reduce clearance requirements for the stove. They will be to the wood behind the stone.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
I'm no expert, but I'd wait a week. Looks nice, you did ok for a first try. What stove will this be for?

Note that the stove backsplash does not reduce clearance requirements for the stove. They will be to the wood behind the stone.

Thanks for chiming in so quickly! I have an England stove model 13-NC.

I believe that I am in the tolerable limits for clearance, measuring 8-9" from the corner to stone, which is ~2" thick with mortar, which goes to 3/4" cement board and then a 3/4" air gap to the wall, ie. about 12" in total clearance on the corners whereas my stove book recommends 13.5. I could scoot the stove out a bit more but that'll put my chimney pipe at an angle - not the end of the world if getting some more distance is important. The chimney is sitting where I had it from my prior woodstove, a much smaller Vogelzang. I'll upload a picture from my phone here shortly.

Does the stove have side shields? If so, with double-wall stove pipe the clearance drops down to 8.5".

The 13NC is a good heater, but its base is short which gives it a high hearth insulation requirement of R=2.0. Was micore placed under the cement board for the hearth?

Does the stove have side shields? If so, with double-wall stove pipe the clearance drops down to 8.5".

The 13NC is a good heater, but its base is short which gives it a high hearth insulation requirement of R=2.0. Was micore placed under the cement board for the hearth?

I don't have any additional side shields but I do have double wall stove pipe going through the ceiling and I did not place micore underneath the cement board. I did run the vogelzang through a couple winters with less clearance and no stone, but its a smaller stove. Thanks for your input I really appreciate it!

Attachments

• Installed new stone hearth - how long to let mortar cure?
    7124CD9C-059A-4EA0-8101-295FD6DFF966.jpeg
    140.6 KB · Views: 197
Could be the Volgelzang also had inadequate hearth protection.

That is really attractive, ansel!

Sharp looking hearth.

I have some career advice for you. Quit your day job.
You have a new career building stove hearths. That is beautiful work.

Reactions: firefighterjake