I'd like some help on these 2 stoves from anyone who has some to offer. Thanks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

JTT1

Hearth Supporter
Nov 6, 2009
CA
This is some of the info I’d like clarification on to see if I’m on the right track regarding these 2 stoves:

1. The Napoleon 1402 insert has a "vortex" system which seems like one of the better non-cat designs. It says it uses 1 lever to regulate "both" primary & secondary air at the same time. It also has a fully lined firebox with 145lbs of firebrick. I think it has a good glass cleaning system?

2. The BK Princess apparently has one of the best cat designs going and a thermostat that controls the burn cycle. It doesn't seem to have side bricks to protect the firebox which seems like it would open it up for damage to the walls? I guess a little dirtier glass. Do all cat stoves function with basically the same success by re-burning all gas & smoke before it leaves the firebox? Are all cats pretty much equal?

-->Can someone tell me how hard each is to get prepared to sweep so that the creosote falls into the firebox? Both seem to stick out on the hearth about the same amount for radiated heat. Both use what I've heard are "the quieter" squirrel type fans, although the Napoleon uses two 200cfm fans as opposed to the Princess which I think uses 2 less powerful fans?

Thanks for your input

Wow, 145lbs seems like a lot of firebrick in the 1402! I don't know too much about this stove but I too have heard that the squirrel fan is supposed to be superior in noise & longevity. The 1 lever control basically sounds like the PE stoves control (other than the Summit's controversial EBT).

I've heard lots of good things about BK and the way they use cat tech but I've also heard bad things about the way VC utilizes their cats so NO, I don't think all cat stove manufacturers are equal. That's actually why I'm leery about a cat stove I found because it's made by a company with seemingly no followers that can attest as to it being more like a BK or a VC and I don't want to get stuck with a VC type problem that I've read about on this forum.

I'd also like to hear from people irt how difficult it is/isn't to get their stoves ready for sweeping. Good luck.

Usually more people are more than happy to chime in. Just don't get BB frustrated with a lot of follow up Q's... ;-P :zip:

JTT said:
2. The BK Princess apparently has one of the best cat designs going and a thermostat that controls the burn cycle. It doesn't seem to have side bricks to protect the firebox which seems like it would open it up for damage to the walls?

I don't have a Princess, but I can tell you my King has a layer of firebrick on the sides of the firebox. I would assume the Princess is the same, but I don't know that for sure. BKP guys?

I've got a 1402, and I love it. The glass stays very clean with hot burns, the "vortex" secondary burns are fun to watch, and it takes about 10 secs to lift out the two refractory panels to access the flue for cleaning.

I don’t have a Princess, but I can tell you my King has a layer of firebrick on the sides of the firebox. I would assume the Princess is the same, but I don’t know that for sure. BKP guys?

Yes, the princess has firebricks on the side as well. The fan is a variable speed and is very quiet. Ive been running mine almost two weeks and still learning but I can say it really throws some heat and is pretty easy to use, in fact very easy to use.

BurnininMichagain, thanks for the feedback, the pics of the vortex in the brocures look cool but you never know how much air brushing occurs. That's a great point irt ease of cleaning. Can you tell me how loud you think the fan is on various speeds. Thanks

weatherguy, what size space are you heating? In the short 2 weeks you've had it what kind of burn times are you seeing? Thanks.

----BurnininMi got me to thinking about ease of cleaning. Can any Princess owners who've swept their liners speak to how much time/effort it takes to get them ready to clean the liner? Thank you.

JTT said:
This is some of the info I’d like clarification on to see if I’m on the right track regarding these 2 stoves:
2. The BK Princess apparently has one of the best cat designs going and a thermostat that controls the burn cycle. It doesn't seem to have side bricks to protect the firebox which seems like it would open it up for damage to the walls? I guess a little dirtier glass. Do all cat stoves function with basically the same success by re-burning all gas & smoke before it leaves the firebox? Are all cats pretty much equal?
Thanks for your input

No, not all cats are equal. In fact there appear to be some rather poorly designed ones out there. Seems that some are housed in rather fragile parts of the stove (why I have no idea) and make for more expensive repairs rather soon. Others are very hard to access to inspect and maintain. Some cat stoves appear simply to have the cat added on, not designed in from the beginning. At any rate the BK cat stoves are among the top of the list for reputation so you are unlikely to find many folks putting that choice down (other than those that inherently dislike some aspect of a cat stove).

Cat or non-Cat the basic concept is the same, burning the smoke/gases before they hit your flue. Burn tube stoves do this in a secondary burn by providing good hot air into the smoke stream (generally at the top of the firebox well in view of the window - great show!). This is achieved by getting enough air to the smoke and having it burn at a high enough temperature (somewhere around 1200f I believe) at the point where the actual burn is happening.

Cat stoves run the flue gases through the cat and 'scrub' them clean by burning off everything on the way out at the top (or back in some cases) at a temperature of 500f or higher (slightly lower for steel cats). If you turn the air way down and smolder your wood the cat does almost all the actual burning - you get little to no flame in the firebox but the burn goes on (cleanly) for a very long time. Stove stays hot (wherever the cat is located) and you get heat for a good long(er) time.

weatherguy, what size space are you heating? In the short 2 weeks you’ve had it what kind of burn times are you seeing? Thanks.

I have the stove in an interior chimney on the bottom floor thats 1100 sf, the upper floor is 1870 sf. The lower level will be 70's - 80, while the upper floor will be 66-70 depending on the room location. My wife kicks on the furnace at 5am for an hour but other than that we dont use the furnace much.

As far as burn times, Im still learning how to run this stove so keep that in mind as well as some of the wood I have isnt seasoned and some is too long and its a tough fit in the box. I just bought a cord of seasoned 16in wood that I can pack in tightly. I 've been putting 2-3 splits in at 1am before bed and when I get up at 8am I still have a thick bed of red coals, now that I have better wood to pack in the box I can probably get a better idea on burn times.

Like I say this is my first year burning and some of the other experienced guys (Lanning for one) can give you a more accuarte burn time with their BKP's.

I can say that this stove is easy to run, in the shoulder weather I would put some splits in and turn the tstat to 1 or 2 and it would emit heat from 8am til 4-5pm before I put more wood in.

One of my biggest concerns with installing an insert was the view of the fire, as I like to watch the flames. I can say now that with the 1402 I couldn't be happier. As long as you burn it hot, the glass stays very clean.

The 1402 has two fans, one on each side, with an adjustable rheostat for speed. On low, they are quite reasonable and blow the heated air out a ~1" gap above the firebox. You can feel the air blowing 6-8' away even on low. I can read or watch TV about 8' away and the noise is not bothersome on low speed (IMO it would be on high). I usually turn the blower up to high speed as I go to bed to pump out as much heat as possible. I can't believe the heat that the insert puts out. I can easily get overnight burns (8-10 hrs) if I stuff it full at ~10PM. By this I mean there firebox is still >200F and the fan is blowing in the morning, with lots of coals to start a new fire. I did install an insulated SS liner with a well sealed block off plate.

I also like the firebox extension that allows a water kettle to help with the humidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending content