I Could Use Some Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Two thoughts. The first is that the laminate floor will never match the rest of the flooring if you remove it later. The second would be to consider a stove that only needs ember protection (no r-value), which might be more handy if you are going to relocate the stove to a future unkown location.

The stove was already ordered so that ship has sailed. As for the floor, that's a good point. I hadn't even considered the floor matching if/when the stove comes out. I will say that I don't know if the stove will ever move. I was just trying to avoid pulling up flooring to keep that option available. Hmmmm......

I did order the Micore. I'm pretty well set on 3/4" plywood, Durock, Micore, Durock, tile. That should keep the process relatively simple (I hope) and give me an R-value around 1.8 not including the thinset or the tile. Regardless, I'm committed now so wish me luck!

Reactions: Smolder and Ludlow
Where can plain sheets of Micore SB be bought?

Where can plain sheets of Micore SB be bought?
I haven't found any retail locations yet. It is specific to the stove board industry. That's what the SB stands for.

.390 is for the lighter Durock NexGen. The pure cement board Durock is .26.

I think next gen is what was advertised at my local Lowes but it will get me to 1.5 either way.
Yes, that is what most stores stock.

And so it begins....

Plywood and layer 1 of durock down. The Micore is scheduled for delivery tomorrow and I'm headed out to pick up the tile.

Attachments

• I Could Use Some Advice
    15780021039955850144881163085640.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 175
Reactions: kennyp2339
And so it begins....

Plywood and layer 1 of durock down. The Micore is scheduled for delivery tomorrow and I'm headed out to pick up the tile.
Love watching a project unfold, keep us posted and take some pics

Reactions: Jbeau009
Going to look very nice. I might start the pattern at the front as opposed to the wall end. I guess you can just flip it end to end when finished though.

I got my micore today. I got it down with a thin layer of thinset between layers. I also got my tile down with only a few cuts to deal with. Tomorrow is grout and trim. My stove was delayed with the shipping company. Apparently they can't drive a semi down my road so I won't get the stove until next week.

My chimney didn't meet the 10-3-2 rule so I ordered an extension and a roof guy kit. I also gave it a good cleaning. I ordered telescoping stove pipe for the interior. I'm excited to get this done and have my first burn.

Attachments

20200103_200609.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 156
    20200103_201848.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 173
Getting started on the trim. I went with golden oak.

Attachments

15781668771676713470732362693044.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 165
Well I probably won't be taking up cabinetry or tile installation but, for my first time, I think it went well. I'm just sitting around now waiting for grout to dry so I can clean everything up real well.

Attachments

20200104_164731.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 158
    20200104_163121.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 149
    20200104_163132.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 172
Reactions: Ludlow and Mech e
. This is my home but will eventually be rented out. I want the ability to relatively quickly remove the stove and put everything back to normal.
You got that right. You dont want tenants anywhere near a wood stove. When im ready to turn a house over to tenants even cover the flue thimble with something so they dont get any ideas.

Not sure why the manual calls for anything other than ember protection as the bottom of the stove never gets over room temps but this is a VERY low squatting stove unless you raise it up some how its always pretty close to the floor if not raised up . I have both on my 30s raised about 18in off the floor.

That looks good ,even though the stove doesnt get hot near the bottom ,in front the radiant heat from the door glass is a factor, looks like that pad will take care of it not getting the floor in front too hot and for ember protection.

Okay, my stove pipe is set to arrive tomorrow but I did not order the stovetop adapter (ac 1677). It is a single wall telescoping pipe. Do all stovepipes require the adapter or is it strictly for pipes with significant size differences from the stove exhaust?

Okay, my stove pipe is set to arrive tomorrow but I did not order the stovetop adapter (ac 1677). It is a single wall telescoping pipe. Do all stovepipes require the adapter or is it strictly for pipes with significant size differences from the stove exhaust?
You shouldn't need an adapter with single wall

Also don't get crazy concerned of there is an ever so small gap between the stove pipe and flue collar, if wont leak smoke and it doesn't need sealant between any of the seams, just 3 self taping screws, don't forget, male end pointed back to the stove incase liquid creosote forms, it can drip back into the stove, the smoke will naturally be pulled by the vacuum (draft) out through the chimney.