Hutch Pot Belly Stove - Identification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

chrisdogle

Jun 21, 2024
Leonard, Michigan
Hi everyone! So, first off, I know nothing about stoves. That said, I inherited this one, and I'm trying to learn whatever I can about it. I've Googled like crazy and just can't seem to figure much out about it - although I've seen several other versions that appear to look nearly identical except for the word "Hutch." Some say "Sears" if I recall correctly, and they look almost exactly the same. Is Hutch the actual company that made it? If so I can't locate info about them that seems to fit.

So I'm looking for a potential year made or rough age and, of course, any thoughts on potential value .... ??

Also, if I wanted to sell it, would it be worth more if I left it rusty? Or should I clean it up a bit and paint it?

Lastly, if I did want to clean it up, what would be the best way to remove the rust, and what type/color paint should I use?

I really appreciate any advice anyone can provide!

Update: I just found another one that looks the same - minus the word "Hutch" on the front. It's on Etsy, looks repainted bright blue, and is listed for $700 plus shipping !! This asking price seems unlikely to be reasonable to me - way to high I assume:

Hutch Pot Belly Stove - IdentificationHutch Pot Belly Stove - IdentificationHutch Pot Belly Stove - IdentificationHutch Pot Belly Stove - IdentificationHutch Pot Belly Stove - IdentificationHutch Pot Belly Stove - IdentificationHutch Pot Belly Stove - IdentificationHutch Pot Belly Stove - IdentificationHutch Pot Belly Stove - IdentificationHutch Pot Belly Stove - Identification

Last edited:
Coal stove with no secondary upper air for burning wood.

The link for a “1920’s built antique” has Phillips screws the same as yours that didn’t exist in the 20’s and were not popular for many years later.

Wire wheel and paint with any high temperature paint available in many colors.

Reactions: chrisdogle
Coal stove with no secondary upper air for burning wood.

The link for a “1920’s built antique” has Phillips screws the same as yours that didn’t exist in the 20’s and were not popular for many years later.

Wire wheel and paint with any high temperature paint available in many colors.
Thanks for quick response coaly! Sorry for the dumb questions, but what is a "secondary upper air"? You have a best guess as to the age of mine? Is it worth anything? Or should I just put it out in the yard for "garden decor" lol ....??

Upper air is an inlet above the grate. Usually on the loading door.

Coal requires lots of air to come up through it. When all oxygen is depleted through the coal bed, secondary air above the fire is needed to ignite coal gas being expelled from fresh coal. With coal, this upper intake is only cracked open to allow enough. These leak around the ungasketed loading door supplying oxygen above fire.

For this reason, they burn too hot and fast with wood, so a flue damper is used to slow the air coming in from wherever it can.

When you see a coal stove with the upper secondary air that is adjustable, you can start a wood fire with the bottom primary open and close bottom when fire is established. Using the adjustable secondary with wood becomes the primary inlet using wood.

Opening a secondary too far with coal allows indoor air up chimney, cooling it, and slowing draft. It can be used as a check damper to slow a coal fire, since incoming air takes the path of least resistance into chimney, instead of through coal bed.

Still looking for years of production from this company. Hutch could be the stove model name. Any other markings on bottom, or inside doors? Many have numbers on the bottom of the two part grate. The inner portion opens for dumping a fire.

As all classic stoves, worth whatever buyer and seller agree upon.

Last edited: