How to tell if scrap wood is treated?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I scored some construction scraps from a home construction site. Basically a bunch of 2x4 and 2x10 cutoffs that I plan to make into kindling. They look like indoor scraps - not the darker treated stuff. But I was a bit paranoid about the 2x10 stuff as it looked like they were scraps from a stairway and I kept picturing an outdoor stairway for some reason. I really think they were indoor stairway but not 100% sure. Is there a good way to tell? I don't see that green tint and they don't seem as dense as treated stuff usually is.

treated wood looks like this on the ends when cut. You can see the chemical penitration.

Attachments

• How to tell if scrap wood is treated?
    IMG_0298_1_1.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 259
If that yapping dog of your neighbor's stops barking it is treated lumber.

Oh I solved that problem. I sent that neighbor copies of all my documentation, calls to the police, and the police website information about how to request a hearing with the magistrate regarding a barking dog. I don't know what they did but after 5 years they finally shut it the hell up.

Status
Not open for further replies.