How to clean liner when converting from oil to gas?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
Replacing oil boiler with nat gas boiler. New one will be the traditional cast iron heat exchanger, not high efficiency condensing unit that can be vented through the wall, so still need the chimney. There is a pro installed stainless liner in the chimney.

What needs to be done to clean the chimney liner, in preparation for the conversion to gas use?

Thanks!

Replacing oil boiler with nat gas boiler. New one will be the traditional cast iron heat exchanger, not high efficiency condensing unit that can be vented through the wall, so still need the chimney. There is a pro installed stainless liner in the chimney.

What needs to be done to clean the chimney liner, in preparation for the conversion to gas use?

Thanks!
Just an inspection

Just an inspection
Thanks bholler! The chimney pros who installed the liner (previous owner of the house had the liner done), provide a "lifetime warranty" on the liner, as long as they sweep it every year.

They tell me they need to do a "level 2" inspection that costs about $150 more than the $180 sweep and annual inspection, for PECO to install the gas meter. I asked what the difference is between the inspection done with the sweep, and a "level 2" inspection, and the told me exactly what they should be doing when the do the sweep (get up on the roof, check the attic, etc.).

I feel like this "level 2" stuff is a scam. If they weren't the folks who installed and were providing the warranty, I'd just hire the other pros who I called that said they provide the inspection with the sweep, $180.

Is this level 2 stuff a scam to wring extra dough from the uninformed?

Thanks bholler! The chimney pros who installed the liner (previous owner of the house had the liner done), provide a "lifetime warranty" on the liner, as long as they sweep it every year.

They tell me they need to do a "level 2" inspection that costs about $150 more than the $180 sweep and annual inspection, for PECO to install the gas meter. I asked what the difference is between the inspection done with the sweep, and a "level 2" inspection, and the told me exactly what they should be doing when the do the sweep (get up on the roof, check the attic, etc.).

I feel like this "level 2" stuff is a scam. If they weren't the folks who installed and were providing the warranty, I'd just hire the other pros who I called that said they provide the inspection with the sweep, $180.

Is this level 2 stuff a scam to wring extra dough from the uninformed?
Yes a level 2 is required. Are you telling me they charge you $180 anually to sweep a chimney that doesn't need swept?

If I want their lifetime warranty on the liner. I'm certain it doesn't need it every year, but that's the business model these days. Everything is a subscription model. I'm not going to worry about the warranty after this transaction, as I think it's predatory business practice.