How to burn wood pellets in 2006 Auburn corn burner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Maybe a drill motor and flex shaft is in order but I'd still like to see the termination cap on the roof. I have that issue with mine (termination cap getting clogged up) as well. That is especially true if it is a screened from flying birds cap. Mine isn't but will still load up with fly ash. With an outside the wall vent and turn out that rarely happens because one, the venting path isn't that long and 2, the turn out will self clean to a certain extent (and discolor the siding on a house as well). Seen that a lot. House a couple miles from here has that issue. White siding and brown doughnut around the venting termination. Looks like hell actually.

After almost 400 posts we have to be very close....... Running out of viable options. If a little' roto rooting' with a drill motor and flex shaft don't do it, I'd really suspect the termination cap then.

Actually, anything flexible and able to chuck in a drill motor would do. Short length of fish tape, or even a twisted wire bottle brush would work. Something to 'bang around' in there and knock off whatever is inside, but, I would pull the exhaust blower motor and fan and stick a vacuum crevice tool inside the passage before hand to suck out anything that might get knocked loose.

Always been against inside venting and cleanout Tees for the filth issue. Always been my impetus to get the vent outside in as short a distance as practical and have the cleanout Tee outside.... That thread comes to mind a while back where the owner put the wrong end of the leaf blower on his inside cleanout tee and filled the house with fly ash. it ain't good on painted walls, especially light colored ones.

I remember seeing that picture way back when.... Hard to keep track with so many pages. Went back and looked. What I found interesting about that picture was the amount of rust on the internal parts and cabinet, like the unit lived in a damp environment all it's life. Mine is 15+ years old and don't look anything like that inside. Kind of struck me as odd.

That still don't address the termination cap on the roof and she did try it not hooked up, I'll agree but that was before she cleaned out the combustion blower housing and replaced the induction fan. If it was an oil stove, I bet the termination cap is loaded with soot, very typical with an oil stove, they make a ton of soot in the vent. I believe it's time for a roof trip and a cap inspection. Not a whole lot of avenues left.

I was kind of surprised myself that she got to setscrew on the induction fan to release as easily as it did. They usually heat lock tight and have to be cut off. Very unusual, corn or pellet burning, almost like the original owner was in there and was fiddling with it.

All stoves need 3 things to work, fresh air, fuel and exhaust. I'm still leaning towards a clogged exhaust and up top not in the house.
The termination cap on the roof was worked on in 2017. My husband and I replaced part of the roof that summer and we were up there nearly every day.
Believe it or not, I feel like Ive aged 10 years since summer 2017. I dont think I could get up there now, so it would have to wait until someone younger and skinnier can climb up there.
I did attempt to fire up the oil stove last winter and I was able to see the black smoke coming out. But that was a year ago.
In any event, I did try the vacuume switch again AFTER all this cleaning and new exhaust fan blade. Still didnt work, and this one was new out of the box I ordered.

A pair of binoculars and maybe you can see if termination cap is plugged ?? Hate walking on my metal roof....

She used the leaf blower on the chimney vent. I don’t think the pipe is the issue. The inside of that stove is a f**king labyrinth and its gonna take a HOT burn for a few hours to clean it out

Reactions: Washed-Up
I think that should be the next step Ssyko

Reactions: Ssyko
I'll be reading along from here on out. I'm out of suggestions.

Maybe a drill motor and flex shaft is in order but I'd still like to see the termination cap on the roof. I have that issue with mine (termination cap getting clogged up) as well. That is especially true if it is a screened from flying birds cap. Mine isn't but will still load up with fly ash. With an outside the wall vent and turn out that rarely happens because one, the venting path isn't that long and 2, the turn out will self clean to a certain extent (and discolor the siding on a house as well). Seen that a lot. House a couple miles from here has that issue. White siding and brown doughnut around the venting termination. Looks like hell actually.

After almost 400 posts we have to be very close....... Running out of viable options. If a little' roto rooting' with a drill motor and flex shaft don't do it, I'd really suspect the termination cap then.

Actually, anything flexible and able to chuck in a drill motor would do. Short length of fish tape, or even a twisted wire bottle brush would work. Something to 'bang around' in there and knock off whatever is inside, but, I would pull the exhaust blower motor and fan and stick a vacuum crevice tool inside the passage before hand to suck out anything that might get knocked loose.

Always been against inside venting and cleanout Tees for the filth issue. Always been my impetus to get the vent outside in as short a distance as practical and have the cleanout Tee outside.... That thread comes to mind a while back where the owner put the wrong end of the leaf blower on his inside cleanout tee and filled the house with fly ash. it ain't good on painted walls, especially light colored ones.

I remember seeing that picture way back when.... Hard to keep track with so many pages. Went back and looked. What I found interesting about that picture was the amount of rust on the internal parts and cabinet, like the unit lived in a damp environment all it's life. Mine is 15+ years old and don't look anything like that inside. Kind of struck me as odd.
It does. I noticex that too. Rusty even under the gasket and exhaust fan.

She used the leaf blower on the chimney vent. I don’t think the pipe is the issue. The inside of that stove is a f**king labyrinth and its gonna take a HOT burn for a few hours to clean it out
Agree with SSyko, if not plugged at top.. what a maze. of a stove to clean...

Reactions: rickwai
Here's my ugly stove pipe. You can see the old footprint of the brick chimney that used to be there.
The house is very old and was added on to and modified several times waaay before I got my hands on it in 2006. Moved it to new foundation in 2008.

How to burn wood pellets in 2006 Auburn corn burner How to burn wood pellets in 2006 Auburn corn burner How to burn wood pellets in 2006 Auburn corn burner How to burn wood pellets in 2006 Auburn corn burner How to burn wood pellets in 2006 Auburn corn burner

Damp cellar dweller

Lmaooooooo

Reactions: Rxwoman1961
Sorry couldn't resist..

Reactions: Ssyko and Washed-Up
This the first thing that popped in my head

How to burn wood pellets in 2006 Auburn corn burner

Thats one pic NOT in RX’s dossier lol

Reactions: Rxwoman1961
I can see the exhaust tube, if that's behind the burnpot.
It was hard to capture with my phone, but I could see back in there some. None of that hard stuff right there. But I did find a corn.
If my stove pipe isnt getting hot, how could a fire start in there?
Oh, I also found binoculars. I cant see inside the cap, of course, but I was able to see more creosote drippings leaking out at the seams. Id like to fire it up again and look for smoke with the binoculars.
Also, I would REALLY hate to do it. It would be a horrible mess. But if it were blocked in the cap I could always disconnect it upstairs and shove a coat hanger up inside to the cap. It's just such a messy pain to play with that sooty stove pipe that doesnt always want to go back together easily.

How to burn wood pellets in 2006 Auburn corn burner How to burn wood pellets in 2006 Auburn corn burner How to burn wood pellets in 2006 Auburn corn burner

Last edited:
I actually did get a few better angles of it. I dont know if it tells you anything you didnt already know.

Attachments

• How to burn wood pellets in 2006 Auburn corn burner
    IMG_20210101_141933069.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 97
    IMG_20210101_141851319.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 95
    IMG_20210101_141842625.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 94
I was wrong. That isnt creosote drippings I'm seeing on the roof. That was black roofing sealer stuff my husband went crazy with when we were trying to seal up leaks when the roof still leaked.