Here's a funny one and question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Marc S.

Nov 8, 2019
Cincinnati Ohio
So this week I noticed my flame was getting lazy and loopy, it was nice out so I figured I would do a complete clean. I popped off my outside cap to clean the pipe. I have a multi piece rod with a brush. I got to my last piece and it broke. I have 4 pieces and my brush stuck in my exhaust pipe. I was fortunate enough grab just enough of the brush to pull all of it out of the bottom of the exhaust pipe.

I have a Harman Absolute 43. There is nothing in the maintenance schedule or videos about cleaning out the fines pot. However when I emailed Harman they gave me the standard contact your Harman Dealer but yes there is a fines pot that needs cleaned out. I have never noticed a fines pot and will be taking the back off again to look for this thing. Yes there is a question here; anyone have info about a fines pot on Absolute 43?

Its not really a pot. I can't say for sure on the Absolute 43, but I think all Harmans use somewhat the same feeder weldment; that said, when looking at the back of the stove there will be a cover that is held in place with a wingnut, remove the wingnut, remove the cover and you will see the fines. BTW, it will be on the left side facing the stove from the back side.

Its not really a pot. I can't say for sure on the Absolute 43, but I think all Harmans use somewhat the same feeder weldment; that said, when looking at the back of the stove there will be a cover that is held in place with a wingnut, remove the wingnut, remove the cover and you will see the fines. BTW, it will be on the left side facing the stove from the back side.
Thanks, I will be taking a look at that this weekend. I have been in the back several times for cleaning didn't notice it. I know there is a plate on a pin under the igniter that has a wing nut you loosen and slide the plate away. The plate holds ash and I suppose you could call some of it fines; we'll see.

It is the rectangular cover right behind the circuit board

Reactions: Marc S. and rona
Thanks, I will be taking a look at that this weekend. I have been in the back several times for cleaning didn't notice it. I know there is a plate on a pin under the igniter that has a wing nut you loosen and slide the plate away. The plate holds ash and I suppose you could call some of it fines; we'll see.
That particular plate or compartment holds ash that sort of falls through the holes on your burn pot.

Reactions: Marc S.
This is the left side of the feeder weldment; old style on the left, new style on the right. The cover is held on by a wingnut, once you remove the cover, you will see where the fines collect. Here's a funny one and question

Reactions: Pete Zahria
Here is the fines box on my Allure should be very similar or the same on the absolute. Access is from the right side of the stove looking from the front
IMG_20180506_105729.jpgIMG_20180506_105612.jpg

Reactions: rich2500
So this week I noticed my flame was getting lazy and loopy, it was nice out so I figured I would do a complete clean. I popped off my outside cap to clean the pipe. I have a multi piece rod with a brush. I got to my last piece and it broke. I have 4 pieces and my brush stuck in my exhaust pipe. I was fortunate enough grab just enough of the brush to pull all of it out of the bottom of the exhaust pipe.

I have a Harman Absolute 43. There is nothing in the maintenance schedule or videos about cleaning out the fines pot. However when I emailed Harman they gave me the standard contact your Harman Dealer but yes there is a fines pot that needs cleaned out. I have never noticed a fines pot and will be taking the back off again to look for this thing. Yes there is a question here; anyone have info about a fines pot on Absolute 43?

BIG THANKS FOR THE ASSIST. No were in my manual or online vids did I see anything about cleaning the FINES POT on my Absolute 43. Threw it out in this forum and found out there is a FINES POT and it needs cleaned. I am anal about keeping my stove clean and needless to say when I found the FINES POT and was a wee bit upset when I took off the cover and found this. Had the stove going on 4 years and this has never been opened. It contained what you see and backed up to the auger. Needless to say this will be cleaned every couple of months not. Again, Thanks!!!!

Attachments

• Here's a funny one and question
    20200111_121417.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 240
  • Here's a funny one and question
    20200111_121424.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 247
That's not bad. I have Harmon XXV and every time I clean it (1T Use) it's about like that. Does not effect stove in the least for me.

That's not bad. I have Harmon XXV and every time I clean it (1T Use) it's about like that. Does not effect stove in the least for me.
I actually had some partial and half pellets in with the mess and I did notice more frequent noise on pellets breaking up so was this the reason why, idk and maybe not. However, it perturbed me that there was noting mentioned in my manual or online vids about cleaning it....

My P61a looks like that after a month or so and like yours does not seem to affect the operation any.

Not bad for 4 years (may be plenty compacted by now), your pusher arm & auger motor will thank you!

Cleaned mine today. Over 1/2 full. Was cleaned out 2 1/2 tons ago.

My P61a looks like that after a month or so and like yours does not seem to affect the operation any.
I clean mine every ton and it is about half full. Depends on the size of your pellets I guess!

Reactions: Tonyray
Why wouldn't they put a cleaning the fines box in the manual? I've had mine for 3 years and never touched it. What issues does a full fines box cause?

Next time you open it for cleaning, put the stove in test mode and watch the moving parts inside the fines box, resistance to moving parts is nobody's friend.

Reactions: Marc S. and Tonyray
Why wouldn't they put a cleaning the fines box in the manual? I've had mine for 3 years and never touched it. What issues does a full fines box cause?
Good question....But my wife and I both noticed how much more quiet the auger is since I cleaned it this weekend....

Next time you open it for cleaning, put the stove in test mode and watch the moving parts inside the fines box, resistance to moving parts is nobody's friend.
I sent an email to Harman today inquiring about why they did not put that information in the owners manual and on their videos; curious to their response.

Somewhat similar to changing the anode on a hot water heater tank. They put them in at the factory and forget to tell the owner to check the anode on occasion and replace it when needed so the heater lasts longer. Instead the owner wonders why they need to replace the heater when the tank rots out. Planned obsolescence.

Reactions: jackhammer
Harman has it in this video for the P43
P43

Reactions: Marc S.