Harman P68 BURNING BAD

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shell

Feb 1, 2013
Ohio
Hello -
I have a 2012 P68 Harman stove that has worked perfect for the last 11 years. I have been burning Sommerset pellets for at least 5 years. Always the same clean white ash and great heat. This year my interior of my stove is covered in black soot. The burn pot does not clear of ash - does not go over the edge or get blown out of pot. The ash is gritty and heavy and I have to clean the pot manually to get a good burn, if not it goes to a lazy burn. I called Sommerset and asked about there pellets, if any problems were reported. They are stored indoors and have a terrible smell also. He said that no one has really complained about them, and thanks for info.
Both doors - new gaskets
Checked oak - clear

I do the maintenance on the stove and have clean every inch and checked all I can think of. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Burnpot holes clear of carbon? Also check inside the burnpot and make sure there isn’t a buildup of ash. Have you ever done the leaf blower trick when cleaning? Sounds like an airflow issue if it’s not the pellets.

Yes holes are clear.
I clean the interior every ton I burn. I usually burn 5 ton a year.
I use my shop vac in reverse to clean the vent pipe which goes straight out the wall.
Leaf blower trick have not done, my shop vac is enough I think lol

Hello -
I have a 2012 P68 Harman stove that has worked perfect for the last 11 years. I have been burning Sommerset pellets for at least 5 years. Always the same clean white ash and great heat. This year my interior of my stove is covered in black soot. The burn pot does not clear of ash - does not go over the edge or get blown out of pot. The ash is gritty and heavy and I have to clean the pot manually to get a good burn, if not it goes to a lazy burn. I called Sommerset and asked about there pellets, if any problems were reported. They are stored indoors and have a terrible smell also. He said that no one has really complained about them, and thanks for info.
Both doors - new gaskets
Checked oak - clear

I do the maintenance on the stove and have clean every inch and checked all I can think of. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
would not be the 1st time that a reliable pellet brand starts burning different for someone for small economical changes in the recipe.
over 9 yrs burning and have expirienced it many times..P61A,
sounds like u have covered all the major cleaning spots so i am not going to spitball fixes to you.
I say it;s the pellets.. I even get it with top softwoods..
also, if i sold pellets I would not mention anyone complaining about them.. [just sayin]..

Last edited:
Reactions: Washed-Up
in addition to the above suggestions I would check the air intake. If you have an OAK perhaps the intake vent may be clogged.

Thanks for your replies. I know the guy from Sommerset was just blowing smoke, just sayin lol.
I am just a little guy to him ! going to recheck the oak too

Go buy a couple bags of pellets from someone else and burn them and see what happens.

Reactions: Washed-Up
I was reminded again this burn season of how inferior pellets effect stove performance. I have a P68, and have almost exclusively burned Turman pellets. This year I have had issues with excessive black ash with the Turmans--also, many of the pellets were 2 inches plus long and caused bridging. I tried some New England Premium pellets, along with American Wood Fiber and Green Supreme. The Turman still have the lowest amount of ash (but have to be broken down so there's no blockage of the feed area). The Green Supremes were OK but black and ashy. In the past, I could put more than a ton of Turman pellets through the stove and it wouldn't fill the ash pan. I have experienced the same issue with black ash filling the burn pot.

I hope the manufacturing process hasn't changed for the pellet producers--if I have to deal with this poor performance, I will likely change my heating source.