Heat n glo NorthStar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yep. Been about 10 years, but I installed a bunch of em. I burned one regularly after I moved to sales.
It was the main source of heat for the store.
Great heaters, & the secondaries will keep you entertained for hours. Make sure you build your chase 6
feet wide if you bump it out from the house, so you can leave room for the mandatory Outside Air Kit (OAK).
Anything else you wanna know, just ask.

Reactions: Wlucas617
This manufacturer has products they refer to as stoves, and products they refer to as fireplaces.

This Northstar unit has a metal body with a firebox, airtight doors, a regulated air supply, reburn tubes, and a top baffle. What makes it a fireplace as opposed to a flush tube stove?

I think of a 'fireplace' as a setup lacking airtight doors and/or effective air control, often with no firebox of its own.

The Northstar is an EPA-Rated fire place. It is as efficient as a woodstove, but it looks like a fireplace.
It is Zero-Clearance as well, & is meant to be installed directly on a subfloor & within 1/2" of combustible
framing members, except for the front of the unit above the doors.

Heat 'n Glo makes gas, wood burning and electric fireplaces, gas fireplace inserts and gas stoves.

No, a fireplace is a fireplace. They are built in as opposed to freestanding. You can move a stove out when you sell the house, not so with a zc fireplace. EPA fireplaces have doors and a secondary burn system (cat or non-cat). A stove is typically a freestanding unit, though fireplace inserts are sometimes called stoves.

Reactions: jetsam