Hearth - No R requirements?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

3dogsrule

Hearth Supporter
Oct 14, 2009
central Arkansas
I have searched the manual on the Lopi Republic 1750i and all I can find requirement-wise for the hearth is:

• Must extend 16" in front of the insert and 8" on both sides (min. 26" deep by 40-1/4" wide)
• Must be non-combustible and at least .018" thick (26 gauge)

Size is addressed (min 40 1/4" x 26") but no R value requirements are stated. Next to 26" depth of hearth, it states "This is the distance the insert protrudes from the fireplace opening plus the required 16" of hearth extension."

So, 2 questions:

1. I'm bleeding money all over the place and am running dry, so I need to meet "non-combustible" requirements BUT as inexpensively as possible. Hearth is going to be 10-12" tall. I have a piece of 1" thick granite to use as the hearth top, which I was going to set on top of cement board, but under that does it have to be metal studs and insulated and all? (I don't mean to sound cheap, but seriously, $200 in materials sounds like a fortune right now, plus I've got to pay guys to build it.)

2. My precious piece of free granite is only 15" deep; to get anywhere close to 26" deep, I was going to cut out my laminate floor in front of the hearth and lay down cement board and granite tile. Will that suffice to meet 26" requirement?

Many thanks for everyone's wisdom and patience!!

Karen

1) In the case of this insert, no, the base doesn't have to be non-combustible since you'll have a non-combustible surface above it. With that said, if you build the base out of 8" cement block, it will still be very cheap and offer considerably more fire protection... No need to insulate the block.

2) Yes, that is non-combustible.

As always, I'm a fan of over engineering the hearth protection and overall size, safety is a good thing and those hot embers always seem to find their way out of the stove... You won't be happy if they reach you laminate floor!

BTW, my guess is you can build this hearth yourself out of block. It's very easy and I'm sure the folks at HD or Lowes can walk you though it.

Just to add to WET1's advice, the hearth needs to also have mortar between the pieces. If you don't want to use mortar, 3M makes a fireproof caulk which is spendy, but comes in white, black and gray and is fireproof.

I might blush a little but um, size matters. :red: bigger hearth area = good thing, because sparks love to fly. I'd opt to go at LEAST 20" horizontal out front of the glass.

If the mfr sez you don't have to meet an R-value, then go for it. I'd opt to cut out the laminate, rather than lay Durock and tile/stone on top of it. Lay the durock and stone/tile on the same layer the laminate floor currently resides upon. But w/ an insert, it probably makes little difference overall...

All good ideas, thanks! I really like the concrete block idea, especially since I've got some blocks left over from the construction of my house. Nice to know they make fireproof caulk, will definitely use that. Will also definitely cut out out the laminate (my builder had told me that since the laminate floor "floats", I'd need to cut it out before I put in a hearth) before I lay tile. Hope Home Depot still offers tile laying classes, I've never done it before but will be attempting it now.

Am awaiting advice from the dealer as to how high to build the hearth now (will probably hit you guys with that after I take some pictures)...

Karen

Yes, please to be posting pics. Thanking you. :lol:

Correct me if I am wrong, but in 3 or 4 threads, we've yet to see the actual room and/or fireplace, am I right? :question: ;-P

Karen,

Tile work is easy. Even men can do it.

C'mon over to the htt://www.johnbridge.com forums to learn everything you could ever want to know about tile :)

Pagey - try 9 different threads! :lol:

Karen - if and when you do go visit the johnbridge/TYW forums, they request you strictly adhere to a "one project, one thread" policy :) might be tough, I know ;)

ALL of my posts have been on one project! One project, 20 different sets of questions. And I ain't done yet. :)

Will snap some pictures, might have to wait until I'm home and it's daylight, the two haven't been happening together much lately.

Karen

DAKSY said:
<>No need to insult the block.<>

I agree...Blocks have low esteem & are VERY easily insulted...
Okay nitpicker, I fixed it for you. :lol:

lol - i thought it was proper originally! :)

Hey! I finished my hearth!!!!

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Hearth - No R requirements?
    KM2.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 302
I thought I did a fine job on the hearth! Talk about cheap! :)

Here are the rest of the pictures of my room, since some peeps have been asking about it. It's an open room with a kitchen off the east side of the room (fireplace is on the west wall), and on the north side is a staircase leading to a bedroom upstairs and my interesting little catwalk that leads to a deck outside on the second floor.

Karen

Attachments

KM3.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 288
    KM4.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 271
    KM1.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 314
I see where your heat will be... better get some ceiling fans!

The lights are kinda blinding them out, but there are two ceiling fans, one on each side of the catwalk.

K

Ceiling fans are good :)

What's that little black thingy directly over the FP? A cable box?

The center speaker of the surround sound system. My builder mounted it there and was gonna come back and build a hearth and the speaker would set on it, but we never came back to finish some stuff up. So I've had a magically floating speaker.

I just looked a little closer at your pictures Karen... Once you put an insert in there, you're going to get REALLY toasty in that "hotseat" watching TV!

That would be nice for a change! With a roaring fire going in the Heatilator POS, I never even felt the heat, even with the blowers going!

I'm gonna get the guys going on my hearth hopefully next week, get my downpayment back on my Hearthstone hopefully tomorrow and order the Lopi, he said it'd take 5-10 business days to get it in and they should be able to install it the same week. So hopefully before Thanksgiving I'll be a'burnin'!

Karen

Excellent! So does this mean we are all invited over for Turkey Day to see the new insert? :cheese:

BTW, do you have good dry wood on hand? I think you'll find your new EPA insert might be fussy about the MC of the wood you burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.