Has any seen these before?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AppalachianStan

Minister of Fire
Nov 4, 2011
Clover SC
I need to know what these are for. The side windows and door window has a metal shields at the top of the windows. The door window metal shield is not as long as the side windows. Has any one seen these before?

Attachments

• Has any seen these before?
    100_2861.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 741
    100_2863.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 732
Could be it has something to do with the air wash system to help spread the air more evenly over the glass?

If this is for the air wash system how does that work?

I'm not sure on your stove, but I'm guessing the air comes in above the door somewhere and down behind those steel brackets? Look inside above the door frame and see if there's some kind of manifold or holes where air can come out.

Have you seen any stove that has no gaskets at the top of the windows with the metal shield?
What would be the worst that could happen with out the gaskets at the top?

If you remove the door gaskets, you'll use more
wood as you won't be able to control the combustion air...

maybe it is just the picture but it looks like you are burning unseasoned wood. That might be why you are not getting the desired heat from your stove, but it could be the picture angle and flash. good luck

Agreed that it looks a very basic air wash system. The stove interior looks pretty black. It it all coated like that?

That is the same setup as the doors had in my old Sierra insert. They left the top of the glass un-gasketed and put the shield in there to guide the air coming over the glass down across the glass for a crude airwash system. Take those off and the glass will be black as coal in a half hour of burning. Plus the air coming in will head right to the flue exit and out.

Worst case if you have a slow starting smokey fire the smoke will pour out over the glass into the room.

These metal shield has no manifold or holes where air can come out to air wash the glass.
Would like to know if anyone has seen this on a wood stove before. Has no gaskets at of top the glass for the air wash.
If you have a stove that has no gaskets at the top of the windows can you post a photo for me.
I thought that too about "won’t be able to control the combustion air" So if the stove is like this does that make it a bad stove?

Yes the stove is black in side I replace the gaskets and clean the inside really good started a fire with 2x4 kindling and it does not draft now so the wood just smolder make that mess you see.
So if I remove the gaskets at the top it should burn better?

Did you put gasket material on the top part of that glass? If you did, I think you made a mistake that could be causing the no-draft situation.

I think BroB is on to something with the air coming in above (over the top of) the glass, where there was NO gasket.

I have all ways thought the stove did not draft good. The guy I bought the stove from had gasket at the top of the door glass but not the side windows. I put all the way round all the windows. So I need to go back and take it off the top of the windows?

AppalachianStan said:
I have all ways thought the stove did not draft good. The guy I bought the stove from had gasket at the top of the door glass but not the side windows. I put all the way round all the windows. So I need to go back and take it off the top of the windows?

Well...I CAN NOT SAY FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, but it does sound like where the plates are designed to re-route air, that the tops of THOSE windows should be ungasketed. WARNING - I DON'T KNOW CRAP ABOUT YOUR STOVE. This is simply musings of a crazy wood burner dude.

Mellow - I know what you are saying about the glass support, but if you look at the OP's pic his plates are completely different than anything that I have seen to hold the glass.

mellow said:
The stoves I have used/rebuilt in the past had the metal to hold the window in, they had window gaskets all the way around.

Picture of one of them:
Has any seen these before?

Okay the metal does not look like the ones I am showing. I do have smaller metal clips to hold the glass in.
Maybe I will take them out today and get a better photo of them.

I just asking to get the beast to work for a bit long with out the fight.

I know the old smoke dragon had a lot of air going through them. Can I not just drill some holes under the side windows to get more air through the stove and use magnets to control the air? To have better control over the stove then taking out the top gaskets.
If that is not a good ideal how do you close off the air that come in at the top of the windows?

AppalachianStan said:
If that is not a good ideal how do you close off the air that come in at the top of the windows?

Its not a good idea to drill holes in your stove. My point above was that I don't "think" you want to close off the air coming in at the tops of the windows. The gasket that you added did that and now your stove won't breath and your crude airwash system has been nullified.

Rip out the gasket that you put in at the top and try things again.

pen

I would say give it a try and remove part or all of the top gasket on the side windows. If I remember correctly you mentioned in a previous thread that they were not originally there. The manufacturer must have had some sort of airwash system for those windows, or it would not make sense to even have them there.

Sound good I will take out the gaskets at the top of the windows. Thanks

Here is metal shield for the side windows.

Attachments

100_2861.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 430
    100_2864.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 405
Here is the metal shield for the door windows. Are you sure this is a air wash?

Attachments

100_2863.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 262
    100_2867.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 238
AppalachianStan said:
Here is the metal shield for the door windows. Are you sure this is a air wash?

Attachments

100_2866.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 266
Status
Not open for further replies.