First World Problems - Too Hot!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Caw

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2020
Massachusetts
We've had the normal shoulder season weather so far around here and I've been burning half loads often to keep the chill out. Tonight it's finally going to get a little colder down to 20 so I went for more of a full load. Whoops!

Im burning 3 year old maple tonight and was quickly reminded about my excessive draft. Powered right through the quick air shut downs up to 800 STT for 15 min while fully shut down before settling in at 700 for the night. It always runs hot, 650-700 is pretty comfortable but 800 for any length of time is always nerve wracking (840 is considered an over fire). I measure right at the hot spot with IR but still. I don't like it getting that close.

Since I'm using an insert a key damper isn't an option I just run smaller loads when using quick off gassing woods like maple or cherry. Its less of an issue with oak/ash so mixing also helps. It's a bit annoying reloading more often but it's safer and works. Even if it goes out being gone all day for work it's fast to rescue a few coals with kindling or fire back up from scratch with dry wood.

I'm not complaining, it's definitely a first world problem having really good wood and plenty of draft. It's just the opposite end of the usual wet wood/snuffed out fire problem so I find it interesting. Wife and dog are plenty warm tonight. 😉

Reactions: Solarguy3500
After a month of running my Defiant stove, I am glad I am back to the wood boiler. Too hot with temperature variations in the house was the norm with the Defiant, I only have too heating zones in the house but its nice to leave the second floor at 62 since I rarely use it. I do get some extra heat in the evening when I charge up the storage tank but nothing like trying to heat the house from the basement with the Defiant.

We've had the normal shoulder season weather so far around here and I've been burning half loads often to keep the chill out. Tonight it's finally going to get a little colder down to 20 so I went for more of a full load. Whoops!

Im burning 3 year old maple tonight and was quickly reminded about my excessive draft. Powered right through the quick air shut downs up to 800 STT for 15 min while fully shut down before settling in at 700 for the night. It always runs hot, 650-700 is pretty comfortable but 800 for any length of time is always nerve wracking (840 is considered an over fire). I measure right at the hot spot with IR but still. I don't like it getting that close.

Since I'm using an insert a key damper isn't an option I just run smaller loads when using quick off gassing woods like maple or cherry. Its less of an issue with oak/ash so mixing also helps. It's a bit annoying reloading more often but it's safer and works. Even if it goes out being gone all day for work it's fast to rescue a few coals with kindling or fire back up from scratch with dry wood.

I'm not complaining, it's definitely a first world problem having really good wood and plenty of draft. It's just the opposite end of the usual wet wood/snuffed out fire problem so I find it interesting. Wife and dog are plenty warm tonight. 😉
A damper is possible. You don’t even have to disconnect the the liner to install!! Remove baffle. Drill. Install. Replace damper. 20 minutes or less.

Edit. I used washers next to that liner on both sides so the damper doesn’t hang up on the cut end of the liner.

61A42283-9777-44F7-A1EF-B181F9DC693A.jpeg

800 is not hard to get to when the wood is dry and you wait slightly longer to turn down that usual. I’m well up in the 700’s using the regency 2450 for part of the burn even when doing everything right.

I'm guessing that has to be black stove pipe to cover the liner for aesthetics. Not sure how it could be functional given the size difference.

In the picture above am I seeing it correct that your liner goes over the connector to the insert?
The black pipe is an 8” stove pipe wrapped around the 6” insulated liner just to cover it up.

I've thought about doing that myself just been kind of lazy about it and the wife stopped asking sooooo...🤣

I've thought about doing that myself just been kind of lazy about it and the wife stopped asking sooooo...🤣
Well I bought the piece of pipe as I happened to walk by it at the store and it sat around for a good year until one fateful day i happened to be moving it again and was within reach of the snips.

Reactions: Caw
Our first world problem starting out this season is too dry wood. Our drought summer sucked a lot of moisture out of the load we are burning. I'm noticing full load burn times are a couple of hours shorter as a result.