Firewood up, oil down, where is the line?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know anybody with the ability to heat with either oil or wood, that keeps their house as warm with oil as they do with wood.

Yup.

My oil set point is +62dF. Before the stove I was burning 2,000 gallons of #2 annually. I do make domestic hot water in the #2 furnace and had three long haired women in the house at the time.

My target temp for the main living areas with wood is +80 to +85dF, had two long haired women home last year and over the twelve months used about 1300 gallons of #2 instead of 2000.

I have both daughters out this season, just the wife at home this time around. Looking good.

I don't know anybody with the ability to heat with either oil or wood, that keeps their house as warm with oil as they do with wood.

Well . . . for me . . . yes . . . kinda sorta.

I wasn't stingy with the thermostats in the home and typically set them around 70 or so . . . and honestly with zoned hot water baseboard the house as a whole felt warmer since every room was roughly around the same temp.

That said . . . the room with the woodstove is most definitely warmer than it was before . . . and most of the rest of the house is around the same temp with a few exceptions. I do notice the difference in temps when going from one part of the house to another, but for me personally the cost of heating with wood vs. oil is a no brainer . . . it's still much cheaper for me to go with wood.

UHN broke 20 down to 19.83 before rebounding. Nibbled a little...waiting for another step down before adding more.

Status
Not open for further replies.