enviro windsor high temp sensor tripping UPDATE still tripping

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

steevo

Oct 17, 2011
central ct
so replaced the auger motor today due to having the old auger motor moving while turning ( the 4 screws had stripped out of the motor casing).

installed the new motor today, stove tuned right on, running for a few hours and then I tripped the high temp sensor. flame was pretty big inside.

I just recently installed a new convection fan as the old fan was noisy and barely worked. I also just replaced the 160 temp sensor as I previously tested it and it need replacement.

I reset the high temp sensor, turned stove back on and it seemed like the new auger motor was turning at a pretty decent rate. on setting number 4 out of 5, the flame was real big and hot. seemed the auger motor had maybe 1 second in between turning and dumping pellets.

maybe the old auger motor was just turning slow or never turned correctly due to not being mounted 100% with the bad screws.

I already replaced the circuit board from a previous thread as there was a screw that pierced the main harness that the store technician had done while supposedly going through it ( we bought a store demo)

am I missing anything here? any reason I would trip the high temp sensor still? the auger motor was replace with the exact 1 rpm motor.

thanks
steve

so the stove tripped the high temp sensor again. Like the manual states, I bypassed the 160 degree sensor and the convection fan goes on high. manual says to then replace the 160 temp sensor. ( which I just installed a brand new one I received from stove parts for less in massachussettes.

what are the chances of getting a bad sensor brand new??? I cant seem to win with this stove........

Reactions: RyanMcD
The new convection blower is it OEM? does it move as much air as your old one?

Does the heat output seem wicked hot? Can the convection blower not be running correctly? Did you try running it lower than 4?? Might try it on 2 or 3 and see if it will stay on... One thing tho- I thought all Enviro units had a 200 deg hi temp sensor?? Ok I see in an older Windsor manual the 160 degree fan sensor.... unusual problem... It almost sounds like the convection blower can't strip enough heat quick enough to keep the sensor from activating....

the new convection blower is a factory enviro, runs great. I ran it on 3 and it trips the 200 degree high temp sensor the same. the new factory convection fan seems great, hoping it is just a bad "new" 160 temp sensor. gonna head to the local store tomorrow and see if they have a new 160 temp sensor and go from there....

so stove seems to be running real hot, haven't tripped the sensor which is good. flames looks pretty big for being on #3 ( out of 5 setttings ).

been running all night without tripping, but its been running on setting #2, flame still seems the same on #2 as it does on #4. top is to hot to touch, will clean the dampers again and maybe open up the air damper a little and see if it helps.

Is there are chart for how many seconds there should be in between the hopper motor turning and not turning on different heat settings?

turned stove up to heat setting #3, ran for about an hour and tripped the high temp switch. I am at a loss here, not making any sense.

I’m thinking a feed issue. If you still have your old auger bench test it and see how many times the shaft rotates a complete 360 in 60 sec then check your new one.

I can try that tomorrow. it runs on number 2 fine, an hour or 2 on setting 3 it trips itself. maybe I need a cold air kit ( house is a 1954 built cape) . the auger motor is the same 1 rpm and same rotation, but a lot louder than the old one.

its funny because when it trips, I bypass the 160 sensor and the fan goes on high which means the 160 degree sensor needs to be replaced. I have 2 brand new ones and the old 1 still and it still does the same thing. at least according to the manual

Have you looked and seen if the insulation on the firebox shield is gone or completely deteriorated? And how hot is the inside of the hopper nearest to the firebox?

Steevo what kind of pellets are you burning? On time for most enviros are in their service manual. I believe on heat level two, the auger feeds for 3 secs, then off for 5-6 secs, feed level 3 is feeding for 3 secs, off for 3-4 secs. I'm wondering if maybe you just got some hot running or maybe short pellets (where more will feed per auger movement) and its feeding more than normal? If the stove is heating great on two, then use it there. A weird problem though.....

Stove chow at the moment, ran hamers last year but could only get stove chow delivered.

Level 2 is right at what you listed and level 3 is right at what you listed.

3 has a pretty big flame at the moment.

2 runs fine and I'll use it on that, but just going crazy trying to figure out why it keeps tripping.

I'll take some temps in a few

just took this pic of stove running on setting 3, I can take temp readings with my infrared gun, just not sure where to read it from on the stove

Its always hard to judge a flame on a single pix. I would say a simple test is to get some other fuel and see if you get the same results. Stove chow does seem to be a good pellet this year, I'm not usually a box store pellet guy, but the store I work at is burning them this season and man have I been impressed. I use spruce pointe almost exclusively. Hamers is always a good brand too. Would be interested in knowing what you find out..

stove has been running no heat setting number 2 for the last 9 hours + with no issues.

-- could the high limit sensor itself be bad?

-- everytime it still trips, the service manual says its either the low temp sensor or the convection fan. after bypassing the low temp sensor, the convection fan comes on high and the manual stated to replace the senor. I already replaced it twice with factory parts and both still do the same thing. the convection fan is also brand new and a factory enviro fan

Yes a high limit can go bad.
They have you look at the 2 because the covection fan is what removes heat from the heat exchanger and the low limit generally controls power to the convection blower. They are the common denominators in overheat issues.

the new factory convection fan seems to be working fine, but I will have to get meter out and test it. the chances of 2 brand new 160 temp sensors being bad out of the package is pretty nil.

its just not making sense on why it keeps tripping the high temp sensor. I can order 1 and give it a shot, or finally say screw it and call the dealer to come out and pay for diag

the auger motor is the same 1 rpm and same rotation, but a lot louder than the old one.

Are you sure? i have recieved wrong parts in the right boxes many times. No i doubt you got 3 bad swiches, but the stove didn’t act up till you changed the convection blower.

-- bought stove as a demo locally last year and was told 2 years old and gone through. ( they lied )

-- stove tripped the high temp sensor and convection fan was noisy. ordered new factory fan and was exact fan I removed. the old convection fan had a bad bearing and bent shaft causing noise and not blowing to hard. installed new convection fan and works fine.

-- while resetting high temp switch, I got shocked when I touched the control board, the stores tech used to long of a screw to hold control panel in and screw pierced the harness connector plastic and broke metal lead. I had some exact wire leads in my tool box from work and fixed it.

-- just to be safe I replaced the control board with a new factory board incase the screw shorted anything out, installed.

-- ran the stove for a few weeks on 2 and 3 and seemed fine.

-- heard a noise from stove and saw the auger motor screws that attack motor to bracket were all popping out and auger motor itself was turning a little when feeding.

-- ordered new auger motor, installed, runs fine but seems a little louder when turning and feeding. same exact part number on it. I am in contact with the company I got it from to see of they will replace it.

-- stove starting tripping high limit sensor on 3 after about an hour, but runs fine on setting 2.

--tested and bypassed 160 low limit sensor and convection fan turns on high as it is supposed to. manual says to replace lo limit 160 sensor which ii did, same issue so I figured maybe a bad sensor, bought another factory sensor and same thing.

-- stove is clean, cleanout T and chimney cleaned, proof of fire switch cleaned, convection fan is clean, no bad wires anywhere else other than the 1 I fixed, heat exchangers are spotless.

-- I opened a window and used a fan to see if I need more airflow in the house but same thing

** today found that the 2 orange wires were going to the high limit switch, but the wiring diagram shows they should be going to the vacuum switch, and the 2 gray wires on the vacuum switch should be going to the high temp switch. I switched and stove runs great on 2 but trips on 3. maybe that messed up the high temp switch???

called the store again where I got it from and they told me to go screw unless I pay them to diag....... the issue with them will be dealt with soon.

sorry, I know its long, but didn't want to forget anything. I am at the point to just my lennox montage back in the spot.......

They put the stove together wrong! And want to be paid to diagnose that’s wrong on so many levals. They both are going to carry 120vac but when they were reversed and stove not “on” it should have never turned on because the vac switch would have been the high limit and with no vacuum the switch wouldn’t have put power to the stove. I think you have a lemon bro and a store owner/manager would be having a sit down.