Englander nc30 running in high gear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

woodsHAM

Burning Hunk
May 28, 2015
WV
Englander nc30 running in high gear
I dont know what else to say other than i love this beast !! Arctic blast may be in full force but youd never know in our house. Battled last year in cold temps with coal buildup but i chalk that up to the hard maple and locust i was burning then. Ive been running hard cruising around 650-700 burning white ash and red oak and loading every 4-6 hours (home on vacation )to a manageable amount of coals left. Warmer weather i get better burn times with it throttled back but im more than pleased with this stove.

Battled last year in cold temps with coal buildup but i chalk that up to the hard maple and locust i was burning
A coal problem with locust? Maple I can understand but locust. I'm burning 90 percent locust and never have a coaling problem.

I do burn locust often and typically dont have a problem with it coaling up. Only thing comes to mind was all the ash from the maple smothering out the coals to burn down. ?

great looking stove - i'm looking at installing the same unit. any tips for the install? i'm hoping to heat my 2600sqft home.

I do burn locust often and typically dont have a problem with it coaling up. Only thing comes to mind was all the ash from the maple smothering out the coals to burn down. ?

I usually have a calling problem with ash. I assumed it was the ashes created smothering the coals and not allowing them to burn down. It gets worse the longer I go without taking ashes out. Once I scoop out the ash and use my sifter, they burn better.

great looking stove - i'm looking at installing the same unit. any tips for the install? i'm hoping to heat my 2600sqft home.
Check out the Summers heat 2400SF model from lowes ,made by the same company ,same price,Taller ,better looking ,huge front door glass,which stays cleaner. Seems to burn longer between ash removal. I have both these stoves (30-NCH and SH 2400) and id say the 2400 is the new and improved model.

I am very likely to upgrade the stack on my oil burning furnace to class A this year. The idea is if the power goes out long enough i can grab one of these at Lowes-Depot, run it in my garage on the class A until the power comes back on and not freeze any pipes.

I have a generator and might ought to instead fool with electrical so i can plug the furnace breaker into the generator output, but electric gives me heebie-jeebies.

The Englander NC 30 routinely punches above its weight class, without a single negative reputable review that i can remember.

Reactions: woodsHAM

Dry wood is a must ! This stove is way more finicky than my previois non epa stove. Other than i use ceiling fans to move the heat through my home quite comfortably, have yet to use the stoves blower.

I usually have a calling problem with ash. I assumed it was the ashes created smothering the coals and not allowing them to burn down. It gets worse the longer I go without taking ashes out. Once I scoop out the ash and use my sifter, they burn better.

Any ash ive burned has burned down to a fine fluffy ash or dust.

I have found locust to burn up to fine ash...pushing a stove hard can make anything coal especially if the moisture content is not ideal. Glad your happy and staying warm!

I have a generator and might ought to instead fool with electrical so i can plug the furnace breaker into the generator output, but electric gives me heebie-jeebies.
I did the same .I rarely use my wood stove in the home i live in (use 3 other woodstoves where i work) .But i have a stove on standby partly in case of power outage. Makes so much more sense than fiddling with a generator.The generator i do have dont start when i need it anyway, and its almost new.