EcoBricks/BioBricks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bushels20

Feeling the Heat
May 20, 2018
OH
I’ve read these can increase heat output and increase burn times.

True or sales tactics?

Thought about getting some to add to my cord wood (that is seasoned). I wasn’t thinking along the lines of helping my wood burn better, but rather, get more heat and longer burn times through the night as winter settles in.

Pound for pound when compared to firewood, assuming both are hardwood, they will burn longer and hotter because there is less moisture.

They also are denser so you can fit more lbs of bricks in the stove, so yes longer burn times.

It’s a good practice in my opinion if you have some wet wood, or are running hard and coals are not burning down quick enough preventing the loading of more wood into the stove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The bricks help when you don't have very good seasoned wood or no wood at all. I suppose bricks will also help extend burn times if your burning soft woods and need a longer burn time.
The problem is the type of stove with these bricks, if your running a harder to control stove then the bricks will also be harder to control.
I have a BK princess that is controlled by a t-stat, it is a very stable stove so I can literally load 15bricks on a hot bed of coals and turn the stove down and let it glide away, this is not recommended on stoves that have secondary reburn tubes since the secondary air can not be controlled, those bricks will take off like a rocket and possibly over-fire and damage the stove.
No if you have a secondary re-burn stove and add 2 or 3 bricks then cord wood on top it may give you a longer out-put of higher btu's, but it all depends on how controllable the stove actually is.

The bricks help when you don't have very good seasoned wood or no wood at all. I suppose bricks will also help extend burn times if your burning soft woods and need a longer burn time.
The problem is the type of stove with these bricks, if your running a harder to control stove then the bricks will also be harder to control.
I have a BK princess that is controlled by a t-stat, it is a very stable stove so I can literally load 15bricks on a hot bed of coals and turn the stove down and let it glide away, this is not recommended on stoves that have secondary reburn tubes since the secondary air can not be controlled, those bricks will take off like a rocket and possibly over-fire and damage the stove.
No if you have a secondary re-burn stove and add 2 or 3 bricks then cord wood on top it may give you a longer out-put of higher btu's, but it all depends on how controllable the stove actually is.

I have a 2011 model Napoleon 1101. A secondary re-burn insert. So....my insert is not new obviously but it is not an old drafty unit either.

Just to make sure I’m following and being safe....DO NOT add a load of exclusively bricks, but rather add a few to the cord wood. One thing I did fear was the secondaries going crazy and overfiriing. I have never over fired my insert and don’t plan to.

I dont think the eco bricks will burn longer than most hardwoods. The NIEL's will and give you more heat, NIEL's will burn 10-12 hours.

I get longer burn times in a similar insert. Harder Secondaries for sure, it allows you to fully close the stove down for the night.

I dont think the eco bricks will burn longer than most hardwoods. The NIEL's will and give you more heat, NIEL's will burn 10-12 hours.

It’s all about BTUs energy can’t be created or eliminated. If you put 10000 btus in the stove weather thats a NEIL and 1/4 or several pieces of pine or a few hardwood pieces its the same btus. Now where the btus go and the rate they are consumed do vary...example how efficient is the stove determine how much goes into the room vs wasted heat up the stack.

Then how long of a burn is based on how low the stove can go down? The ability to finitely control the stove.

It’s all about BTUs energy can’t be created or eliminated. If you put 10000 btus in the stove weather thats a NEIL and 1/4 or several pieces of pine or a few hardwood pieces its the same btus. Now where the btus go and the rate they are consumed do vary...example how efficient is the stove determine how much goes into the room vs wasted heat up the stack.

Then how long of a burn is based on how low the stove can go down? The ability to finitely control the stove.

True, but I find the eco bricks burn faster than NIEL's, for the money it's a better value.

wish we could get those Niels jobs here in Mich

Last edited:
If anybody is curious, just go buy a few and try them. It’s fun.

it says in store pick up only, I was told they are only sold west of the Mississippi, I'm sure shipping would make it cost ineffective anyway
No, can buy them in many places on the east coast. They're more compressed than an eco brick therefore more btus.

I get longer burn times in a similar insert. Harder Secondaries for sure, it allows you to fully close the stove down for the night.

I ran the insert with 2 last night and experienced the same results you mention. Harder secondaries and air all the way closed. Loaded at 7:30 and woke up at 4:30 to a hot stove and plenty of coals. So far I am a fan.

I ran the insert with 2 last night and experienced the same results you mention. Harder secondaries and air all the way closed. Loaded at 7:30 and woke up at 4:30 to a hot stove and plenty of coals. So far I am a fan.

I have super dry wood. Ash, Oak, Mulberry, etc. I load on a bed of coals, raked forward. I can usually only get 3 splits in at once without the risk of the 4th falling on the glass. I then can fit 2 ecobricks on top the the splits. I could probably shove 2 more on the ends but never have. They work good. Not for every burn but if you're wanting to have something to work with in the morning they do seem to help.

On an insert too, you can get longer burn times with the fan on super super low. with my fan on high it cools everything off too quick.

Weird. I am able to complete a purchase with shipping.

ILL look again, how did you get them from, and if you dont mind sharing, how much did you get and what was the shipping cost, thanks

I went and tried to complete a transaction and you’re correct. When I entered my payment info and hit complete it asked me to then pick a store for pick up.

Well Bush, i guess you driving to Idaho. Have fun. Bring me back a pallet will you please?

bushels20 I don’t know where in Ohio you are located but my father in law and myself both bought a ton of Envirobricks this year. I can’t say enough good things about them. There is a local Amish planing mill that has started making them in Walnut Creek, Ohio. They delivered right to my door for what I thought was a too good to be true price. I also saw in their literature that they are selling in some TSC stores. I went out to the mill and they gave me a pack so I could try them before I bought them.

In my opinion I don’t think they replace cord wood but are definitely a nice addition. They burn hot, clean and last a long time.