EcoBricks/BioBricks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
bushels20 I don’t know where in Ohio you are located but my father in law and myself both bought a ton of Envirobricks this year. I can’t say enough good things about them. There is a local Amish planing mill that has started making them in Walnut Creek, Ohio. They delivered right to my door for what I thought was a too good to be true price. I also saw in their literature that they are selling in some TSC stores. I went out to the mill and they gave me a pack so I could try them before I bought them.

In my opinion I don’t think they replace cord wood but are definitely a nice addition. They burn hot, clean and last a long time.

I am within an hour and a half southwest of Walnut Creek. Up that way for work quite a bit. Jefferson County is in my working territory.

Mind telling me how much they are and which Amish mill it is?

Haven’t seen anything in my local TSC, yet.

I love them and have been buying them at tractor supply. I have seasoned wood but the burn times are outstanding with the bricks. I put three in my castine and put splits on top and I can get a 8 hr burn no problem. Some nights if ive had a long day I just start the fire with those and don't really have to do anything once its lit.

I will be buying a pallet after Christmas

It’s called Walnut Creek Planing. If you search Envirobricks their sight should pop up. They had a free delivery special running earlier in the fall $140 delivered to your door. I think they ordinarily get $40 on top of that for delivery. They have a semi with a all terrain forklift on the back. I’m not sure how far out they deliver but might be worth a call to find out.
http://www.wcplaning.com/

Reactions: MAD MARK
Ive used the ones that Tractor supply sells and I liked them, I would like to compare them to the other ones Niels I believe they are called.

I use the Envi and envi8 blocks but I've also used the biobricks and ts brand. They're great. Long even heat.

They work great in my regency i2400 (insert). If you use them standalone, you'd want to take the coals to the side and pack them tight together so they burn through the stack slowly. You can close down the air almost all the way and get great secondaries with a total 8+ hours of heating time. Just came down this morning after eight hours, and there were still plenty of coals left, and the house was at 65*.

Otherwise, they're great to throw in a couple with less than well seasoned wood to lower the overall moisture content. I've got only another 1.5 cords of well seasoned wood left plus three that need another year, so I will probably supplement the rest of the season with them.

Before I started packing them in,I started with two and burned them down to see how long they would go. Then 3, etc. You can overfire your stove if you're not careful, so I would recommend that before you just throw a bunch in there. But that's true of any wood.

Several years back I tested NIELs, BioBricks and HomeFire Prest-Logs. All gave good burn times and excellent heat. There are two ways to use the brick fuel that differ from the logs. One way is to add one or two as a supplement to the firewood. The other way is to create a solid mass of bricks as the sole fuel in the firebox. My test stove was a Castine, so the firebox capacity was limited. I also didn't want to overfire the stove so I erred on the side of caution and only tested with 13 bricks, 26# of fuel. The resultant fire was well behaved and uneventful, producing meaningful heat for about 5 hrs.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/biobricks/

The HomeFires and NIELs were more impressive, but again one needs to be careful not to overload the stove because unlike the biobricks there will be more airspace between the logs. When they get burning a lot of btus are released.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/home-fire-prest-logs/
https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/Northern_Idaho_Energy_Logs/

The secondary lightshow with the NIELs was really impressive. Lots of blue flames.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.