Duravent vs Selkirk & Northline vs Ventingpipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have Selkirk Metalbestos and it's been up for 9 years without a problem.

I haven't had to use any other. I found the lowest price at my local hardware store. He undercut the online guys and let me store it in the back his barn actually) until I was ready to cut the hole in the roof.

Reactions: Hesta
I have Selkirk Metalbestos and it's been up for 9 years without a problem.

I haven't had to use any other. I found the lowest price at my local hardware store. He undercut the online guys and let me store it in the back his barn actually) until I was ready to cut the hole in the roof.

Thanks. My biggest concern at this point is ease of connection. This is going to be a 12/12 pitch, and Ventis/Champion has welded seams, so no need for caulk, and having Class A in double wall, instead of dealing with double to triple, should make things easier. It's also supposed to be easier to interconnect. From what I understand, with the Selkirk, I'd have to deal with putting bands on every connection. BUT, that having been said, if I can save a thousand bucks or more, I'll have to rethink. I can't get prices yet, without at least putting the new stoves into place. We're still burning up here, so can't get estimates without accurate measurements. Most of the vendors with stores out here aren't willing to undercut online prices.

Went to a store called Leisure Time to buy an auger for the pellet stove this past winter. They wanted $275 for the part. Found the same part online for $109, and told them to cancel the order. They didn't say doodlely about cutting the price when I told them why.

Selkirk & Duravent both make good quality double-wall chimney pipe. It's just the bargain lines that are triple wall. I have never caulked the seam of a DuraTech installation and never had leakage. Not trying to discourage you from using Champion/Ventis, just trying to keep the record straight. This info may be helpful:
http://www.hartshearth.com/ProductCart/pc/viewcontent.asp?idpage=4

The ring around the joints is nothing to worry about. It won't slow you down at all. You can always buy longer sections so you have fewer pieces/joints. I have 48" long sections.

Reactions: chance04