Drolet and Osburn 2020 - how?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
That makes sense. They don't want some arbitrary solid damper installed if these even exist. Might be easier to slip a stove shop or sweep some loonies to print out that section, or what about your library system?

That's a good idea, I'll have to try the stove shops, the library is closed unfortunately right now, we are in the depths of another Covid lockdown.

Check to see if the library online services are open. I have used ours quite a bit during lockdowns.

That's an interesting method I might try, how do you hold the washers inside the tube?

Here's how I installed bolts in the ends of my secondary tubes - worked wonders at slowing down the secondaries.

Just a thought and my observations. I've done some testing with magnets and made a restrictor plate for the secondary air. When restricting the secondary intake it increases the primary air intake so it's unbalanced. You take from one but you increase the other. I think a damper is the only way to decrease each air intake proportionally.

Reactions: EbS-P
Here's how I installed bolts in the ends of my secondary tubes - worked wonders at slowing down the secondaries.

Thanks, but I wound up using 1/4" countersunk finishing washers like this. Using a deep socket as a punch I could gently drive these into the tubes, I could then take and drill them out to fine tune the airflow. I even have an excel spreadsheet made up to do this.

I've since installed a flue damper, so my stove runs a combination of both now, I now run way less restriction on the tubes than I used to, the flue damper is the largest controller.

Drolet and Osburn 2020 - how?

Last edited:
Reactions: Das Jugghead
Just a thought and my observations. I've done some testing with magnets and made a restrictor plate for the secondary air. When restricting the secondary intake it increases the primary air intake so it's unbalanced. You take from one but you increase the other. I think a damper is the only way to decrease each air intake proportionally.

Your setup is different than mine but that's not what I've found. I've found the primary air either stayed the same or decreased. In my case due to running more reasonable flue temperatures, reducing the draft and reducing primary air.

In some ways I actually find a flue damper more disproportional, there's only so much flue gas that can flow through it, so when the primary is wide open the secondary's are quite small to compensate, when the primary is closed the secondary's begin to flow more, being the reason I still run a small restriction in my secondary tubes.

I had an issue with my air control not shutting closed on my osburn 2300. Air control plate was bent from factory so I could not shut mine down all the way .I blocked off the round hole with a piece of foil tape to control low burn till I got a new one from sbi.all is good now

View attachment 269442
Would it work to position something like a magnetic sheet over the hole in the circumstances where you need it?
It might even work for the rectangular secondary air cover/opening.

Something like this: Amazon product ASIN B005HY9KDM

In addition to the restrictors in the scondary tubes I also (probably illegally) modified the primary intake. Yep - I'm the guy who rips off those mattress tags too . . . . . But in all seriousness you are absolutely correct in that modifying one affects the other.

I am still contemplating the flue damper to helps slow things down.