Do you think inflation will hit firewood sellers hard?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
our costs are up , therefore likely will see higher selling prices. the occasional or ambiance burner will cut back. most will weigh pricing vs conventional. pellets are up again same applies . personally my propane pricing is already locked in. Electric rates already jumped, Do not know about NG as I do not have that available.

Being that inflation has been slowly coming down i doubt it, I have been using the same guy for5 years now and he still charges the same as when I first bought from him.

Got a news flash for you, what the gov calls inflation doesn't mean squat on our pocket books. What affects common man isn't even part of their calculations. Prices for everything have gone way up and they typically do not retreat . Groceries alone are up over 25% from a year ago. think shrinkflation in that area. Construction costs are up , Freight costs are still climbing. Insurance companies for anything have jumped more than 30% . fuelis up accros the board In other words everyday expenses have not retreated. People rant about interest rates which at current levels are nothing compared to 70 through 80s when home loans were got to 20% point conventional. a good auto loan might have been 9%, most were in the 15-18% range. Course autos didn't have an msrp of 30K+ back then .

People rant about interest rates which at current levels are nothing compared to 70 through 80s when home loans were got to 20% point conventional. a good auto loan might have been 9%, most were in the 15-18% range. Course autos didn't have an msrp of 30K+ back then .
And you could buy a house for 20k and a case of beer...............

Do you think inflation will hit firewood sellers hard?
No. Like others they'll not just raise the price according to increased costs they'll jack the prices and complain all the way to the bank.

No. Like others they'll not just raise the price according to increased costs they'll jack the prices and complain all the way to the bank.
Eman, you gotta love the firewood market down here though. Dirt cheap and they pretty much have to stack it. I'm not buying due to supply I have but when that time comes life should get fairly simple.

Being that inflation has been slowly coming down i doubt it,

Ugh, I've heard that trick before and it's becoming a (perhaps unreasonable) pet peeve. Kinda like hot water heater for some people.

The rate of increase has slowed down but inflation is still up. Every dang year. Today's report was 3.2% up, not down.

I don't know if inflation will affect wood sellers.
A Lad down the road was selling wet bucked blocks 2 years ago for 250 a cord
I just checked with him and they are now 375 and have sold everything they have cut.

I think local market effects may have a larger influence than general inflation.
If oil (or whatever is the common heating fuel in your area) goes up, demand for wood goes up. Generally that will result in higher prices of wood.

And highbeam is right: only when inflation is 0% are prices not going up...
If the FED is able to get it down to their wished for 2%, you better get at least 2% higher income every year or you'll have to tighten the belt...

I don't know if inflation will affect wood sellers.
A Lad down the road was selling wet bucked blocks 2 years ago for 250 a cord
I just checked with him and they are now 375 and have sold everything they have cut.
That's economics 101, next batch should be $400-450, basic supply and demand. People complain as they stand in line for $6 coffee at Starbucks, but they'll be back tomorrow.

Reactions: sloeffle
Maybe not going broke, but converting his firewood side of the business into a charity.
If not even loosing money

Maybe not going broke, but converting his firewood side of the business into a charity.
Well, you have no idea what the starting price was five years ago. He may have been charging an arm and a leg, so he's still got plenty of profit to absorb current costs increases.

Just using common sense here I think wood choppers will do very well this year. But the prices are so high that it will "drop even", but at least they will keep busy for the time being. clancey

If not even loosing money
On Long Island they have to pay to dispose of wood.
That is the other side of the cost picture.

Hence them being happy to drop off logs, even paying a bit for it.