Do I have too much draft?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
A few thoughts and questions on this thread from a fellow GM driver (ha). @cabinwarmer I'm confident we can get you going with this.

Re: draft, I have the same ish length of flue. I think yes, a damper is a good idea, probably necessary. With the hybrid tech these things can really heat up and take off with the unregulated secondaries... your foil trick can come in handy. Interesting reading here about these modern stoves and the need to burn cleanly in all setups, including a florida bungalow, which is a way warmer climate and shorter flue than you. Florida Bungalow Syndrome. Some folks on the Hearth here actually run two dampers. I admit I modified mine by blocking one side of it to make it very restrictive. Or the tinfoil trick at the intake, which in some ways makes more sense as outlined in the article, but isn't really a friendly way to control the stove regularly and is more directly "tampering"... but hey, if it works...

I find my GM runs very much like a non-cat stove if I use smaller sized splits. Which is to say it's harder to find the sweet spot that makes for a balanced fire and can't be turned down. In my stove, using thicker splits makes all the difference. What size are your splits? Species? MC?

I find it can run more like a cat stove with larger splits. I can burn low and slow, barely a candle flicker of a flame, no smoke and an active cat. The trick here is having the mass warmed up first, with either a top-down start or reloading on coals.

Your GM60 a sizeable stove, and very massive. It should eat smoke when up to temp. So try reloading on coals, just enough as you described, not too hot or cold. Put in a few of your largest splits. Let them catch, engage cat (assuming it's still "active", mine stays active long time during coaling) and keep air on high to char "just enough" (you'll get the hang of this!). For me this is usually ~10-15 mins with a firebox full of thick splits of ~19% black locust (very dense) these days. Then turn the air back. Sometimes halfway, sometimes full on in one go. (Again you'll get the hang of which to do). As long as there's some flame and your cat is active you should be good. You're aiming for a wispy flame above the splits. early on in the burn this is usually in the form of "secondaries" above the wood for me, then it shifts and looks like candle like flames coming from the wood.

I have reloaded on coals using dense hardwoods in my stove after 12 hrs. I do question the "16 hour burn" claim of the marketing material as I have to be perfectly dialled in to get 12. Your larger stove really should be able to do overnight no problem though.

I do suspect your draft is strong, and maybe your splits are a bit on the small side. Sorry if you posted any info I've missed... and good luck, have fun and keep us posted :)

Reactions: tabner
Nigel, thanks for taking the time to respond. Here are the answers to your questions/thoughts:
1- I believe a damper would help, but is there a drawback? Am I asking for creosote build up with one? Is one kind better then another?
2- Yes, it seems to be the secondary, as mentioned earlier in this thread, the secondary is impressive and just continues to act on its own ignoring the intake setting, as designed I am sure
3- Tin foil trick is only in panic situation - 2x now so far
4- I have been playing around with different size splits. The largest has been 4 inches, the smallest 2 inches. Mostly Ash, some red Oak. The Ash has been more forgiving as I learn it seems. All under 20% MC.
5- Top down start is regularly used. Loading on coals after that has burned down.
6- My CAT acts like yours. Stays active (according to side gauge) during cooling, allowing for my reloads to catch will still active
7- I am only running around 2-3 hours at this point, because I am only loading two larger splits. I know I must do better with my reload size.

Dave

Load it up with some 5-6" splits. 2" is kindling and filler wood.

@cabinwarmer only been a couple days, but I'm curious if you've had any luck with this ?

tabner, I am still working on operating the stove. I have made some progress, graduated to High School level. Last two burns went like this:
Top down start - heated up the flue and CAT. Took about 45 minutes to bring the CAT into range of the factory gauge on the side.Engaged CAT. Let the top down go down to hot ashes, loaded in two 4 inches splits, one red oak, one ash. They caught after a few minutes and at that time I backed down the air intake to 50%. Flue temp rose to ~480F. I closed the intake all the way closed. Flue temp rose to 585~. Stove settles in around 580 for a few hours, nicely burning. About 4 hours later, down to red coals. This temp rise of 100F with the air intake fully closed is what has my attention the most. I just added the same amount of fuel and the stove is climbing back up. I will probably get the same burn. I am not use to the stove to try to load more splits as I can not watch it today. So for now, I am happy with 500 temps for several hours. So, to answer your question, I am still slowly better understanding. At this point I figure if my flue temp is over 450 and the CAT is firing, I am not causing any issues on the low end. I can not help to think that a flue key damper might help as suggested by Nigel. I just do not want any build up in the flue/chimney if I did install one. I have no experience with any flue dampers.

Last edited:
tater, I am still working on operating the stove. I have made some progress, graduated to High School level. Last two burns went like this:
Top down start - heated up the flue and CAT. Took about 45 minutes to bring the CAT into range of the factory gauge on the side.Engaged CAT. Let the top down go down to hot ashes, loaded in two 4 inches splits, one red oak, one ash. They caught after a few minutes and at that time I backed down the air intake to 50%. Flue temp rose to ~480F. I closed the intake all the way closed. Flue temp rose to 585~. Stove settles in around 580 for a few hours, nicely burning. About 4 hours later, down to red coals. This temp rise of 100F with the air intake fully closed is what has my attention the most. I just added the same amount of fuel and the stove is climbing back up. I will probably get the same burn. I am not use to the stove to try to load more splits as I can not watch it today. So for now, I am happy with 500 temps for several hours. So, to answer your question, I am still slowly better understanding. At this point I figure if my flue temp is over 450 and the CAT is firing, I am not causing any issues on the low end. I can not help to think that a flue key damper might help as suggested by Nigel. I just do not want any build up in the flue/chimney if I did install one. I have no experience with any flue dampers.
Cool, thanks for the update. My GM60 is sitting in my garage waiting for the install, so I apologize, I'm just eager and living vicariously through you. And I hear what you're saying on the Damper. I described my chimney setup on here looking for input, and bholler and others said definitely need a damper. When I had a local installer out for a quote the other day, he said he really recommends against them because of creosote. There's so much to learn, and definitely conflicting opinions.
(I think the guys in this forum are actually more knowledgeable, and i'll probably be siding with them and installing a damper)

Cool, thanks for the update. My GM60 is sitting in my garage waiting for the install, so I apologize, I'm just eager and living vicariously through you. And I hear what you're saying on the Damper. I described my chimney setup on here looking for input, and bholler and others said definitely need a damper. When I had a local installer out for a quote the other day, he said he really recommends against them because of creosote. There's so much to learn, and definitely conflicting opinions.
(I think the guys in this forum are actually more knowledgeable, and i'll probably be siding with them and installing a damper)
tabner, No problem, I am glad to see another new owner! There is no doubt, this forum has the most knowledge. Will have to search on damper issues and see if there are any previous posts.

To damper or not to damper seems to be an on going debate. Tabner, if you decide to go with one, please keep in touch. Begreen mentioned he does not think I need one with my GM 60, Nigel uses his on a GM40. Many variables I suppose. Testing the draft with a meter would be the best way.

Reactions: tabner
Have you burned some larger fires yet? The best way to find out is run the stove like it is meant to be for a couple of weeks. It will take a while for you to get used to its operation.

begreen, somewhat larger, but not up to what you would like to see. I have put in larger splits but no more the two on top of red coals. Confidence is building........

Reactions: Highbeam