Did i finally find something good?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cedarjunki

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2015
Upstate NY
Ventured 20 miles or so in a direction i almost never go.. remembered a small lumber yard/home center type shop i have only driven past for years and years. They carry these LG premiums... And, they even have parts for my englander on the shelf! I was very impressed with just seeing the parts. And at a lower cost than they are online. I think they will get a little more of my business instead of lowes now. So are the LG's any good?

No idea about the LG's. Never seen or burned them. That's cool you found a place like that. Something to be said about the mom and pop shops. I hate seeing the BBs running some out of business.

Everywhere you go now is the SOS ( Same Old S...) from stores to restaurants. Same everything everywhere.

Reactions: bcarton
I found it funny since there is no sign or anything up for pellets. None in the store either. All out back in the building with the lumber. I asked out of curiosity if they sold pellets since they are apparently an englander distributer.. and was suprised when i heard yup. Softwoods. :) cheaper than the shiit at lowes or tractor supply too.. got a bag in now to see

Reactions: bags and bogieb
I use LG Premium in m
No idea about the LG's. Never seen or burned them. That's cool you found a place like that. Something to be said about the mom and pop shops. I hate seeing the BBs running some out of business.

Everywhere you go now is the SOS ( Same Old S...) from stores to restaurants. Same everything everywhere.
I use LG Premium softwoods in my Drolet Eco-65 I'm pleased with them.

Only been a couple hours but so far so good.. i did have to bump it up one level to keep the same heat output but i do believe that is only because these are a bit longer than the others i have. Which is a good thing in my mind since a bag should last a bit longer when running on low

Reactions: bogieb
Ventured 20 miles or so in a direction i almost never go.. remembered a small lumber yard/home center type shop i have only driven past for years and years. They carry these LG premiums... And, they even have parts for my englander on the shelf! I was very impressed with just seeing the parts. And at a lower cost than they are online. I think they will get a little more of my business instead of lowes now. So are the LG's any good?
I burned 2 tons of LGs 2 winters ago and they were excellent. The bags have almost no fines at all, and they leave little ash. I posted a picture way back when showing how clean the LG pellets were in my hopper. Seems silly to get so excited over clean pellets, but after having pellets with handfuls of fines in the bottom of the bag clogging the bottom of my hopper, and leaving a fine sawdust around the top of my hopper, you do appreciate a mfr who double vacs their pellets before bagging.

Reactions: Cedarjunki
LG's are top premium and burn great. Probably in the top 5 best pellets from what I research. A little bit pricey, but like mentioned, very little fines, clean burn, and plenty hot! Also, very CONSISTENT......

Oh, 20 miles is a short hop.... We have people in our small towns that think driving 10-15 miles to go somewhere is a hassle, yet it only takes a mere 10-12 minutes to get there.

LG's are top premium and burn great. Probably in the top 5 best pellets from what I research. A little bit pricey, but like mentioned, very little fines, clean burn, and plenty hot! Also, very CONSISTENT......

Oh, 20 miles is a short hop.... We have people in our small towns that think driving 10-15 miles to go somewhere is a hassle, yet it only takes a mere 10-12 minutes to get there.

Pricey? $275 ton. So far they seem great. Been burning overnite. Pot is pretty clean.

I drive by the shop all the time, when im going fishing.. but it was never a need to stop or shop elsewhere when i had every other store in a 5 mile radius in town.

Ive driven an hour and 15 minutes south for pellets. An hour North-west and 25 minutes dead East. But... I have a company truck and drove off the beaten path for a few "pit-stops" here and there...

I have driven much farther for much less.. its just the fact that the place is so close yet never really had a clue. I work in the middle of town and only live 15 miles north of town. I say town but technically considered a city i guess.. :-/ never found a need to hit up any of the smaller shops off the beaten path but glad i did this time.

Twenty miles is not very far ... 28 miles to get groceries where I live. Double that to get to Wal-Mart, Canadian Tire which are our only "big box" stores locally. It is what it is ... I could live in Toronto and be stuck with an hour commute in very heavy traffic and then have to pay $$ for parking:eek: With our drive, the worst we have to worry about is deer==c The draw back is that we are a captive audience so selection is limited...

From what I've seen on reviews, LGs are supposed to be a very good pellet. Likely Mom & Pop heat their home with them using an ESW stove! The Home Hardware here brings in Indecks which are usually a very ashy pellet and they are selling them for $7.50 a bag. Luckily, North American Lumber brings in either Lacretes or Spruce Pointes and will deliver out where we live since we buy by the pallet.

Reactions: Daveman
Twenty miles is not very far ... 28 miles to get groceries where I live. Double that to get to Wal-Mart, Canadian Tire which are our only "big box" stores locally. It is what it is ... I could live in Toronto and be stuck with an hour commute in very heavy traffic and then have to pay $$ for parking:eek: With our drive, the worst we have to worry about is deer==c The draw back is that we are a captive audience so selection is limited...

From what I've seen on reviews, LGs are supposed to be a very good pellet. Likely Mom & Pop heat their home with them using an ESW stove! The Home Hardware here brings in Indecks which are usually a very ashy pellet and they are selling them for $7.50 a bag. Luckily, North American Lumber brings in either Lacretes or Spruce Pointes and will deliver out where we live since we buy by the pallet.

I have more of a turkey problem than deer lately.. deer population here is rapidly declining.
The 20 miles is nothing no.. but not a place i ever thought about shopping at until now.
They have a 25pdvc heating the main building with these pellets. But also have englander wood and pellet stoves on display.

The lG's dont seem to have the heat the orford softies do. But i think its a matter of the length of the pellets coming into play.. orford are short. These lg's are longer. I will know more later today when i get back home and determine the usage vs the others. But by looking at the hopper this morning before i left i dont think i used about a gallon or so of pellets overnite set on 4. Got down to single digits here and it stayed above 73 at the stove. So i think they are going to be pretty good

Longer pellet length will slow down feed rate ... save the orfords for the really cold weather!

I've burned LG a few times, seems to me they are rated at 8600 btu if memory serves me right. Where I bought them they also sell Energex, I always thought my stove burned a bit hotter on the Energex personally for a bit more ash. I wish my stove could burn only a gallon bucket of pellets overnight in single digits, never happen regardless what pellet I use. Not in this house with this stove combo. Be lucky if it didn't burn a bag. but too,what constitutes " overnight " time wise ? I base that on 12 hours. And really I thought LG burned a bit quicker than Spruce Pointes at that.

On another note, Spruce Pointes do very well in this stove, just the dealer gets $7.49 US a bag for them. I can get TSC ( Maine Woods) for $5.39, they burn just as hot and slightly more ash. So that's silly. Except this year I think TSC's stock has sat outside too long ( I was afraid that was going to happen), I got a few bags from them and found of the bags I got, two had gotten wet inside and had some fairly serious clumps of swollen pellets mixed in. The P61 doesn't really care but I can't buy a ton of those that would be basically nuts and eventually the P61 will care..

Last edited:
I've burned LG a few times, seems to me they are rated at 8600 btu if memory serves me right. Where I bought them they also sell Energex, I always thought my stove burned a bit hotter on the Energex personally for a bit more ash. I wish my stove could burn only a gallon bucket of pellets overnight in single digits, never happen regardless what pellet I use. Not in this house with this stove combo. Be lucky if it didn't burn a bag. but too,what constitutes " overnight " time wise ? I base that on 12 hours. And really I thought LG burned a bit quicker than Spruce Pointes at that.

On another note, Spruce Pointes do very well in this stove, just the dealer gets $7.49 US a bag for them. I can get TSC ( Maine Woods) for $5.39, they burn just as hot and slightly more ash. So that's silly. Except this year I think TSC's stock has sat outside too long ( I was afraid that was going to happen), I got a few bags from them and found of the bags I got, two had gotten wet inside and had some fairly serious clumps of swollen pellets mixed in. The P61 doesn't really care but I can't buy a ton of those that would be basically nuts and eventually the P61 will care..

They state 8500 btu and 8190 btu as recieved
But i found you cannot rely on what is printed on any brands pellets..

They state 8500 btu and 8190 btu as recieved
But i found you cannot rely on what is printed on any brands pellets..
I agree, in fact the TSC pellets don't list BTU and they seem plenty hot to me.

but too,what constitutes " overnight " time wise ? I base that on 12 hours. ..

Heat setting 4.
IR reading on stove top- 200 degrees
19 hours- 38#

I couldnt get the lid to close with it all in...its probably got more squeezed in now than when i filled it last nite.

Attachments

• Did i finally find something good?
    20160108_154630.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 148
Reactions: alternativeheat
I cant compare the IR Temps to anything since i just bought it yesterday tho.

The ash of these LG's seem a bit heavier than the orfords and the logik-e's but overall they seem to be a pretty good pellet.

All 3 brands are equal in price as well.

I cant compare the IR Temps to anything since i just bought it yesterday tho.

The ash of these LG's seem a bit heavier than the orfords and the logik-e's but overall they seem to be a pretty good pellet.

All 3 brands are equal in price as well.
Well After using LG a few times I concluded they were not my top pick and certainly not considering the dealer wanted a premium for them. i can think of a few other brands that beat them out but it just depends what shows up out in this neck of the woods !

If you're traveling in an easterly or westerly direction in this state, that's generally true.
Yeah it seems there aren't many roads that run truly east and west up there but rather diagonally. Maybe down in the southern state but not so much up north. And then you have to travel north or south to get to one LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.