Did i finally find something good?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have more of a turkey problem than deer lately.. deer population here is rapidly declining.
The 20 miles is nothing no.. but not a place i ever thought about shopping at until now.
They have a 25pdvc heating the main building with these pellets. But also have englander wood and pellet stoves on display.

The lG's dont seem to have the heat the orford softies do. But i think its a matter of the length of the pellets coming into play.. orford are short. These lg's are longer. I will know more later today when i get back home and determine the usage vs the others. But by looking at the hopper this morning before i left i dont think i used about a gallon or so of pellets overnite set on 4. Got down to single digits here and it stayed above 73 at the stove. So i think they are going to be pretty good
Most pellet brands are within a 10% range of BTU output. And you're right to note that pellet length makes a difference in consumption rate which of course affects BTU output. When it's that noticeable, you should also be sure to adjust your air to match.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
Most pellet brands are within a 10% range of BTU output. And you're right to note that pellet length makes a difference in consumption rate which of course affects BTU output. When it's that noticeable, you should also be sure to adjust your air to match.

In a lab setting I believe you are probably correct regarding the BTU spread.

In a homeowners stove I think the spread is far greater

In a homeowners stove I think the spread is far greater

This is why, if you really want to know what to use, buy a variety of brands,
try them out in "your" stove, and if you can spring for an inexpensive IR gun
measure your temps, and burn times...

Some people love a brand, others hate them.
Different appliances... drafts... storage...
All factors...
There are a lot of brands that you read what people
have to say about them.
"Usually", if a lot of people love the same brand,
it's probly a safe bet.
If a lot of people hate the same brand, that too can be a safe bet..

I don't put a lot of salt on what's on the bag.
You gotta try them. Really.

Dan

Reactions: Old Spartan
Status
Not open for further replies.