Citizenship

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
She is quite fortunate. Citizenship applications now are taking a couple years for many. This used to be a 6 month process on average.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
She is quite fortunate. Citizenship applications now are taking a couple years for many. This used to be a 6 month process on average.
It almost all depends on the country of birth. Getting a Green Card and 5+ years after that Citizenship, is fastest for people from Western Europe. Latin America takes a much longer time due to extra background checks. Most Asian countries are relatively fast.
I think my wife Joanne got it so fast, because I did mine just last year, so 1 current and 1 very recent application were very easy to confirm regarding the provided information in both files. As soon as they received hers, they pulled mine to check the content of her application. If it is not a perfect match, it will take longer.

. . . I did mine just last year, so 1 current and 1 very recent application were very easy to confirm regarding the provided information in both files. . . .
Wait a minute! Are we talking about the United States? That seems like much too sensible a way to go about things for Uncle Sam . . . ;lol

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
Step 1: Get a job based on special skills.
Step 2: Get a work permit.
Step 3: Pay your taxes and get a Work Authorization Card.
Step 4: Pay your taxes and get a Green Card.
Step 5: Pay your taxes, stay out of trouble and apply for Citizenship.

The entire process took me 12 years and costs a LOT of money. The lady waited 1 year longer for personal reasons.

Proud to be Americans.

Wow! 12 years seems too long.

Having gone through the process and seeing what it took, what changes could the US make to the process to make it easier for people to come here the right way?

Congratulations to your wife!

-SF

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Wow! 12 years seems too long.

Having gone through the process and seeing what it took, what changes could the US make to the process to make it easier for people to come here the right way?

Congratulations to your wife!

-SF

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
It took me 12 years because after 9/11 everything changed. We applied for our Green Cards in 2004. Instead of 2 agencies checking our background, there were suddenly 12. And guess what, they did not communicate among each other. My finger prints have been taken a gazillion times. The Green Card alone took us 6.5 years. It should take 18 months, coming from a US friendly country.

I went through that 20+ Yrs ago. Was a lot simpler,quicker and cheaper. Were still together 28 yrs, 3 kids and some grand kids later. She still remembers the answers to those questions.

I got married late at 38 ,she was 29 . 62 and 53 now! time flies!

Congrats to the long marriage. It was a good idea for her to pursue citizenship. I know some immigrants that got in minor legal trouble (which can happen to anyone)and are at risk for deportation and also blocking any path to citizenship. One of them is a doctor who spent a fortune in legal fees fighting it for 25 yrs.

Just wanted to say Happy Anniversary.

They know about computers now.....

Saw a news story a few years ago that a lot of government computers still use the 3 1/2-inch floppy discs. There's a company that you can mail old discs to and they will wipe them clean for reuse.