Chimney Sweep says I need a total firebox rebuild $3500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SwampFyre

Jul 14, 2024
USA
Bought a new house Fall 22. Built in the 60’s. Has a wood burning fireplace in it. I grew up with a wood stove and I’m not familiar with how to clean a brick flu or maintain a firebox.

Called a chimney sweep to clean it out and said the firebox was in such bad shape that it would need the whole thing to be replaced. Quoted me $3,500. I didn’t (and still don’t) have $3,500, so we just went without a fire last winter.

I’m in the Deep South and it’s not like chimney sweeps are in high demand down here. Wanted to check with some other folks who might have more experience. A) In your opinion, based on the photos below, do I need a complete rebuild? B) if so, is $3,500 reasonable?

Bought a new house Fall 22. Built in the 60’s. Has a wood burning fireplace in it. I grew up with a wood stove and I’m not familiar with how to clean a brick flu or maintain a firebox.

Called a chimney sweep to clean it out and said the firebox was in such bad shape that it would need the whole thing to be replaced. Quoted me $3,500. I didn’t (and still don’t) have $3,500, so we just went without a fire last winter.

I’m in the Deep South and it’s not like chimney sweeps are in high demand down here. Wanted to check with some other folks who might have more experience. A) In your opinion, based on the photos below, do I need a complete rebuild? B) if so, is $3,500 reasonable?

View attachment 328347

View attachment 328348

View attachment 328349
Yes it needs a complete rebuild and $3500 if extremely cheap for that job.

Line the chimney and throw an insert in there.
An insert is much better but I believe they should be installed in a functional fireplace. This one is not (as it needs rebuilding).
So I'm not sure if one should install an insert in this thing as is?

An insert is much better but I believe they should be installed in a functional fireplace. This one is not (as it needs rebuilding).
So I'm not sure if one should install an insert in this thing as is?
As long as the brick aren't in danger of falling I would do it in that box. Now the chimney itself is completely unknown so can't comment there. If they aren't stable maybe just a large coat to stabilize it for an insert

As long as the brick aren't in danger of falling I would do it in that box. Now the chimney itself is completely unknown so can't comment there. If they aren't stable maybe just a large coat to stabilize it for an insert
okay.
On the other hand, if an insert needs to be installed in a proper fireplace for (thermal) safety reasons, and it is precisely that which is compromised here (see all the gaps between bricks), I'd be a bit hesitant?

okay.
On the other hand, if an insert needs to be installed in a proper fireplace for (thermal) safety reasons, and it is precisely that which is compromised here (see all the gaps between bricks), I'd be a bit hesitant?
Fair and it's hard to tell from the pic how bad the mortar erosion is. Or if there is enough masonry thickness at all.

Just my opinion but many houses were built with no need to conform to codes and weren't built by trained craftsmen. Without a real thorough look at the whole house it would be very hard to determine how safe and stabile the whole fireplace is. How qualified is the chimney sweep to rebuild what you have since it's not an area with a lot of fireplaces and chimneys.

True. But insurance is going to push against paying out if they find the thing was not installed according to code. Simply because they can and that's how they make money m

True. But insurance is going to push against paying out if they find the thing was not installed according to code. Simply because they can and that's how they make money m
I’ve wondered what this looks like. I know most insurance policies state in the policy that they cover poor workmanship if it led to something that they do cover, like fire, which is basically what we’re discussing here. What are you guys seeing out there when something like that comes up?

I’ve wondered what this looks like. I know most insurance policies state in the policy that they cover poor workmanship if it led to something that they do cover, like fire, which is basically what we’re discussing here. What are you guys seeing out there when something like that comes up?
My insurance will cover it regardless but I would most likely then be dropped. A homeowners insurance will cover mistakes but not blatant code violations generally. It all depends on the wording of the policy

Reactions: Ctwoodtick