chimney install for Fisher Grandma Bear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mpederson

Jul 18, 2024
Minneapolis
I am installing a Fisher Grandma Bear with an 8" flue collar on top. Can I insert 8" (outside diameter) double-wall pipe (6" inside diameter) over this flue collar? If not, do I need 10" pipe (8" inside diameter)? Do I need any special connector or adapter between the pipe and flue collar? I would like to use double wall pipe all the way up. The total length of the chimney will be about 16 feet.

I am installing a Fisher Grandma Bear with an 8" flue collar on top. Can I insert 8" (outside diameter) double-wall pipe (6" inside diameter) over this flue collar? If not, do I need 10" pipe (8" inside diameter)? Do I need any special connector or adapter between the pipe and flue collar? I would like to use double wall pipe all the way up. The total length of the chimney will be about 16 feet.
Ok describe your intended install a bit for us.

chimney install for Fisher Grandma Bear

Was planning on just sticking the double wall pipe directly over the flue collar in attached picture. 8" pipe (6" inside diameter) will fit over this pretty snug. However, it will be 6" chimney instead of 8" and the male end of the pip will be facing up.

View attachment 328445

Was planning on just sticking the double wall pipe directly over the flue collar in attached picture. 8" pipe (6" inside diameter) will fit over this pretty snug. However, it will be 6" chimney instead of 8" and the male end of the pip will be facing up.
No you can't do that. You at minimum need an 8 to 6 adapter but should really have 8" to match the outlet size. How tall will the chimney be? How will it be run and supported etc etc.

Chimney will be about 16' tall straight up through a metal shed with appropriate supports. I'm more concerned about the diameter of the double-wall pipe (8" or 6'" inside diameter) and how to connect to the stove with the flue collar shown in picture. Thanks for your continued help!

Chimney will be about 16' tall straight up through a metal shed with appropriate supports. I'm more concerned about the diameter of the double-wall pipe (8" or 6'" inside diameter) and how to connect to the stove with the flue collar shown in picture. Thanks for your continued help!
Ok so you will mount the 8" chimney pipe at the ceiling level with a support box and run that through the roof following all directions. Then connect from the stove to the chimney with connector pipe probably single wall for that old stove

I am planning on running the chimney pretty close to the exterior wall (metal siding with 2x4 horizontal wood bracing) so was thinking I would use double-wall pipe all the way up from the stove.

I am planning on running the chimney pretty close to the exterior wall (metal siding with 2x4 horizontal wood bracing) so was thinking I would use double-wall pipe all the way up from the stove.
Ok you do know the stove needs 36" clearance to combustibles or proper ventilated shielding right? Also what is the building used for