Cherry vs The Winch Part 1

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Picture 100 0375 is the hung up Cherry and 100 0376 is the winch hook up I started with. 100 0378 is after I winched it against two trees, I thought that if I got that far it would come down(I was wrong). Picture 100 0377 is well how do I say this, up the hill down the hill and then the battery died. Back in the woods 1.5 miles best guess and going on 2:00 pm what do you do, waited about 20 minutes and the rhino started. Most smart people would call it a day(not me) lets winch down that cherry, battery goes dead again. This time it seems I'm in for a long walk, tried about 4 times and the rhino is saying walk, call the wife on the cell and explain things so I decide to try one more time (the rhino started) packed the gear and left for home. Winching 101 classes coming up.

The cherry did come down alot, will go back at it Saturday.

zap

Attachments

• Cherry vs The Winch Part 1
    100_0375.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 608
    100_0376.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 609
    100_0378.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 623
    100_0377-2.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 625
Keep the engine running when you're using the winch.

Maybe change the pulley to the cherry.
Wrap it on the cherry, tie one end of the winch rope to a tree, thru the pulley, other end to the winch, you'll get double the pull & easier on the battery
Sometimes helps when you need to pull at weird angles too.
From the pics you already know that.
Will be better wood since it's taking more effort to get it :)

quads said:
Keep the engine running when you're using the winch.

It was running the whole time, thats how much of a drain it was. The battery seems fine at this moment. Quads I don't think the winch will run unless you have the rhino running.

zap

My 8000 lb winch gives the alternator on my tractor a run for its money when I run it for extended periods.

bogydave said:
Maybe change the pulley to the cherry.
Wrap it on the cherry, tie one end of the winch rope to a tree, thru the pulley, other end to the winch, you'll get double the pull & easier on the battery
Sometimes helps when you need to pull at weird angles too.
From the pics you already know that.
Will be better wood since it's taking more effort to get it :)

The direction I started winching the tree was wrong, if I positioned the rhino like I ended up the tree would be down. I need another tree saver,snatch block and d-shackle.(Off to Tractor Supply this week).

Zap

zapny said:
I need another tree saver,snatch block and d-shackle.(Off to Tractor Supply this week).

Zap

You just needed a reason to go to the TS store. :)
Shop around some, there is sure to be something else "you need" ;)

The most life I ever get out of my ATV batteries is about 2 years. The battery might be getting weak, but like you said, the winch was probably drawing that much.

Tractor Supply, one of my three favorite stores!

SolarAndWood said:
My 8000 lb winch gives the alternator on my tractor a run for its money when I run it for extended periods.

If you parallel another battery into the system, or series two six volt batteries together you won't have these issues.

I have a big locust tree that fell over in the crotch of a walnut tree, looks a lot like your situation, bigger trees, and a little less hill involved. Mostly I've just been looking at it saying, that is good wood, but not worth my life or limbs. But your winch set up gives me some ideas, I can stay far away and give it a shot. If it takes 4 hours to do this though, I could cut down and buck 4 elms, not as good of wood, but much easier to get to.

zapny said:
Picture 100 0375 is the hung up Cherry and 100 0376 is the winch hook up I started with. 100 0378 is after I winched it against two trees, I thought that if I got that far it would come down(I was wrong). Picture 100 0377 is well how do I say this, up the hill down the hill and then the battery died. Back in the woods 1.5 miles best guess and going on 2:00 pm what do you do, waited about 20 minutes and the rhino started. Most smart people would call it a day(not me) lets winch down that cherry, battery goes dead again. This time it seems I'm in for a long walk, tried about 4 times and the rhino is saying walk, call the wife on the cell and explain things so I decide to try one more time (the rhino started) packed the gear and left for home. Winching 101 classes coming up.

zap

mike1234 said:
I have a big locust tree that fell over in the crotch of a walnut tree, looks a lot like your situation, bigger trees, and a little less hill involved. Mostly I've just been looking at it saying, that is good wood, but not worth my life or limbs. But your winch set up gives me some ideas, I can stay far away and give it a shot. If it takes 4 hours to do this though, I could cut down and buck 4 elms, not as good of wood, but much easier to get to.

zapny said:

zap

Mike be careful, I had one end on the ground to work with and was at a safe distance when winching.

Zap

you should really be using a snatch block to another tree #1 and second why dont you trypulling the tree down with the Rino rather than usign the winch? I ahve used those Rinos before, they are jsut a big, heavier more powerful atv.

Adirondackwoodburner said:
you should really be using a snatch block to another tree #1 and second why dont you trypulling the tree down with the Rino rather than usign the winch? I ahve used those Rinos before, they are jsut a big, heavier more powerful atv.

Rhino would just do so much and then start spinning.
I used 2 different trees with the snatch block after I pulled it down without the snatch block
The winch with a snatch block with this tree was more powerful
My mistake was pulling it down instead out.

zap

Attachments

100_0377-4.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 309
I second the 2-6 volt golf cart batteries in series. You could also just keep a spare lawnmower type battery that's 12volt to restart the Rhino once you use all the battery.

gotchya..I was always told to use the snatch block, but dont put your winch cable through it, but rather no-stretch rope. I bought some logging rope in 5/8", 150' of it I beleive..About a buck a foot!

A DC winch motor draws allot of current.
It is not designed as a continuos duty motor.
Running it under load, for long periods of time will burn up the motor.
Be careful adding batteries to run the winch for long periods.

Adirondackwoodburner said:
gotchya..I was always told to use the snatch block, but dont put your winch cable through it, but rather no-stretch rope. I bought some logging rope in 5/8", 150' of it I beleive..About a buck a foot!

bull rope awesome stuff

bogydave said:
A DC winch motor draws allot of current.
It is not designed as a continuos duty motor.
Running it under load, for long periods of time will burn up the motor.
Be careful adding batteries to run the winch for long periods.

You would be amazed what those little winches will do. HF will also sell you a no questions asked replacement or credit to upgrade 3 year warranty. I pulled out a bunch of ~24" diameter trees over a large embankment last winter. By the time I had skidded the tree and blocked it, the winch had cooled off and was ready to go. That said, once you use a Farmi, you are forever poisoned.

Status
Not open for further replies.