Cheapest 90cc+ chainsaw?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NoPaint

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jan 2, 2009
USA
What is the cheapest used 90cc+ saw I can buy. No I don't need 90cc's but its something every man should have. Order of importance: 1. Burly Truck 2. Burly Splitter 3. Burly Saw. Right now I'm only at 54cc's (not burly). Please help me find a burly saw. Thanks!

Cheep and 90+cc's doesnt mix at all!

Jay you got that right LOL

haha right on....

good luck. depending on your comfort with chain brakes and the like, I wouldn't rule out an older McCulloch or something like that. You have to be vigilant with ebay, but they are there and every once in a while one slips by and is snatched up for a crazy low price.

even at a normal price we are talking 1/2 the price of a bigger stihl.

Aww crap. I have a midsize truck and my largest saw is 84.7cc. I must be a tiny pecker nancy boy. :red:

I'm guessing the cheapest new 90cc saw of a reliable brand is the Dolmar-PS9010.

Buying that saw as the off brand discontinued Solo 694 might be cheap. I think its predacessor the Solo 690 is a winner too.

some people have to compensate. I drive a moped, split with a hatchet and use a 27cc poulan.

LOL - you guys are a hoot!

And to make matters better: I'm gonna piss off all the cc pissing match guys by only cutting softwoods with it! I know what you guys mean about some people always trying to compensate. Me and my 2wd 6 cylinder truck are A-OK.

Ok so those are good ones to keep an eye out for on ebayt. Keep em coming if you know more.

Am currently looking for either a Mc Culloch SP125 or a Stihl 090.2 different Macs sold in the past 5 days - a SP105 w/32" bar sold for $355 & a SP125 with 101B racing motor & 36" fatboy bar went for $755.Also 2 different 090's went for $1,009 & $700,respectively.Right now there's a 090 w/33" bar Buy It Now - $999 CD in addition.

I was hoping for around $400...seems like I may need to raise the bar a little (no pun intended)....

The Echo saws are apparently real good. I've only used their blowers and they are robust little buggers.

Danno77 said:
some people have to compensate. I drive a moped, split with a hatchet and use a 27cc poulan.

I can do it with a rusty hand saw cutting and noodling (No hatchet) and a bicycle!

smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:

I can do it with a rusty hand saw cutting and noodling (No hatchet) and a bicycle!
lol

Well for 400 good luck maybe one that needs alot of work you can find some that will need a cylindr&piston; kit. You will have to come off of 700 plus for a used saw that is my opinion in that size range.

Naandme said:
Well for 400 good luck maybe one that needs alot of work you can find some that will need a cylindr&piston; kit. You will have to come off of 700 plus for a used saw that is my opinion in that size range.

+1 And pull the muff!

NoPaint said:
Me and my 2wd 6 cylinder truck are A-OK.

You only have 2wd? Ohh. I feel better now. :coolsmile:

NoPaint said:
The Echo saws are apparently real good. I've only used their blowers and they are robust little buggers.

I don't think the CS900EVL has been made for 20 years. I don't think the Echo 1200 & 1201 have been imported into the US. The others just aren't burley. ;-)

In all seriousness, if you'd consider an 80cc saw there are a lot more options. Is this for milling or bucking? If bucking, how often do you intend to see big wood?

80cc would be burly too (burley is a tobacco). Its mainly for bucking - I just love cool tools so 80 is good as well...just want something with some real strong chain burying power.

NoPaint said:
I was hoping for around $400...seems like I may need to raise the bar a little (no pun intended)....

I am pretty happy with my $400 special. Haven't had the opportunity to raise the 5' bar yet.

Attachments

• Cheapest 90cc+ chainsaw?
    2095 60 inch bar.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 486
If you can find one, a used Makita 6401 (Dolmar 6400) will get you close if you bolt on an 84.6cc big bore kit. The only problem is that the oiler (not the power) pretty much hits it limit with a 32" bar.

SolarAndWood said:
NoPaint said:

I am pretty happy with my $400 special. Haven't had the opportunity to raise the 5' bar yet.

You got a steal.Most places would charge you that much for a 5' bar alone,if they had one.

Dang I thought I was OK with a 372XP... now I worry that everyone's laughing at me when my back's turned. It's OK I'll just keep telling myself its not the size but how you bury the bar.

moosetrek said:
Dang I thought I was OK with a 372XP... now I worry that everyone's laughing at me when my back's turned. It's OK I'll just keep telling myself its not the size but how you bury the bar.

They're laughing but not because of the saw...its your chicken legs :)

I bought a Stihl 660 that is like new with 25 and 36 inch bars for $800. 91.6 CCs. Love it. I saw (no pun intended) one go for $700.

Golfandwood -

You got a really good deal; definitely a cut (pun) above anything I've heard of. Ideally my purchase would be a project saw. I need to carve out (pun) some time to search around tomorrow. Even though its Friday I may not be able to prune (pun) my schedule enough to start my search but I will be buying a BURLAAAYYY saw real shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.