Champion Splitter Weak Force

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Apr 1, 2022
Boston, MA
Recently purchased Champion 27 ton log splitter from home depot. It was working great for the first 5 hours or so. In the middle of my splitting session today the splitting force got extremely weak all of a sudden. I checked the hydraulic fluid level and it seems to be right where it should be. I split on a sloped driveway and was wondering if that could affect splitting force by altering the flow of hydraulic fluid. But am not sure why this would affect it now and not earlier. Thoughts?

As long as the splitter is sitting in a position that keeps the pump suction line flooded, position should not affect hydraulic power...if you see air bubbles traveling through the clear suction line, it's either low on fluid, or you need to position it more level...and watch you don't get the tank breather/fill port too low, that will make it spew oil out the vent on the return stroke too.

Reactions: salecker
On my electric splitter it has to be level

Reactions: Itslay90
First place is check is the coupling between the engine and pump.

Reactions: triptester
If nothing improves i would check the oil feed line from the tank to the pump
Seeing it's fairly new there may have been something in the tank that is restricting the oil flow to the pump...
Like a piece of steel from cutting holes in the tank, piece of foil from an oil container, piece of plastic ect

Recently purchased Champion 27 ton log splitter from home depot. It was working great for the first 5 hours or so. In the middle of my splitting session today the splitting force got extremely weak all of a sudden. I checked the hydraulic fluid level and it seems to be right where it should be. I split on a sloped driveway and was wondering if that could affect splitting force by altering the flow of hydraulic fluid. But am not sure why this would affect it now and not earlier. Thoughts?
Have you gotten any solution to this? I think you made a great choice in your purchase product and retailer. I have the same splitter from HD. If nothing else, take it back to the store fore an exchange or refund. I think if the fluid was low you should hear a cavitation whine from the pump. Since it happened all of a sudden, I would check for a mechanical problem, maybe a loose coupling.

Have you gotten any solution to this? I think you made a great choice in your purchase product and retailer. I have the same splitter from HD. If nothing else, take it back to the store fore an exchange or refund. I think if the fluid was low you should hear a cavitation whine from the pump. Since it happened all of a sudden, I would check for a mechanical problem, maybe a loose coupling.
I wound up returning it and exchanging for a new one. The new one came with a broken tube and spewed hydraulic fluid all over my driveway. Needless to say, I returned the second one and will not be buying this splitter again...

I wound up returning it and exchanging for a new one. The new one came with a broken tube and spewed hydraulic fluid all over my driveway. Needless to say, I returned the second one and will not be buying this splitter again...
I'm so sorry that happened. I understand not wanting another of this brand. I would call the manufacturer and ask them to set this right and clean or replace the driveway. These are the reasons why people do or don't trust manufacturers and or purchase their products.
Good luck and please keep us posted.

Reactions: progress_stover
Champion is one of the better (best?) of the chinees splitters out there IMO, you can buy better, but you'll pay for it!
Sounds like the second one may have been the victim of poor assembly by the retailer...the Champion 23 ton I had needed the hydraulic lines straightened out when I got it home...they were all kinds of mis routed/twisted! (and that is 100% on the retailer)