Chainsaw Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I had read that you should flip the bar after every sharpening.

Is this just overkill? And if so, we must remember that overkill is underrated.

Flipping it after every sharpening may be overkill, but in this case it wouldn't hurt. I tend to forget which side I had up when I take the bar off to clean...

As mentioned ( all great pointers):
-flip the bar every couple sharpenings and watch for wear
-even sharpening on all teeth / each side
-watch the raker depth
-check the bar oil / flow
-doesn't take much dirt to dull a chain in a heartbeat

Only repeating these as each of these has tripped me up, some more than once. ;em Watch the file angle too - don't wanna be taking a nice edge off the otherwise fairly sharp teeth.

I have slipped the chain on backwards too, but caught it before cutting. Easy fix, hurts your pride more than your saw.

It will keep you from ever wearing just one side of the bar. Every sharpening may be overkill but what do you want to use as a reminder to do it often? Maybe every fuel fill or every oiler refill or daily if you are using the saw a lot? The point is to not let it go until you have significant uneven wear. If you are like most people you will get more wear on the bottom of the bar than on the top. Flipping the bar often just lets you wear out both sides equally so that when the bar is shot you won't feel bad about replacing it with a remaining good side.

Reactions: Osagebndr
This thread is over 4 years old, I'd gather they figured out the problem or just buy wood at this point.

Problem corrected! Woodcutting resumed!

(I had the chain on backwards after all. What a noob move)
Don't feel bad I did this just the other day after removing the chain to sharpen it and put a new one on. I was talking to my 4 year old son as he was watching and I wasn't paying attention because my 2 year old was trying to get into something. Anyway we finished adjusting the chain and was about to start it and was thinking the chain looked funny. Well the new chain i put on didn't look funny it was just on backwards.

I will say I'm surprised you were able to actually cut through anything.