Chainsaw Chaps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

walhondingnashua

Minister of Fire
Jul 23, 2016
ohio
while watching this weeks this old house, there was a segment on chainsaw safety with a demonstration of saw chaps. The wife saw and said I need those. I said they aren’t cheap. She said she doesn’t care lol. That being said, I don’t know much about them.
Best brands? Best for the price? How well they fit? Are they really a pain to wear? Amy information would be great to help me make a decision.

Usually you can by a safety kit from your local dealer for around $100. It has helmet, chaps, gloves. I hate the things and rarely wear them unless im going to be on the saw for a few hours. If your just doing backyard work chaps will work, if your out for a few hours at a time getting firewood then i would invest in the pants

I don't even know they are on. Also keeps your pant's clean.

while watching this weeks this old house, there was a segment on chainsaw safety with a demonstration of saw chaps. The wife saw and said I need those. I said they aren’t cheap. She said she doesn’t care lol. That being said, I don’t know much about them.
Best brands? Best for the price? How well they fit? Are they really a pain to wear? Amy information would be great to help me make a decision.

You do need them. Folks always go and buy a helmet first, and helmets are a good thing, but chainsaw-to-leg injuries occur at least 10x more frequently than head injuries.

Any brand is better than none. Even cheap ones. Since I do most of my cutting in winter, and budget wasn’t my primary concern, I got the skidder bib chaps from Stihl. They’re super comfortable, and also keep me warm in winter.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/protective-and-work-wear/chain-saw-protective-apparel/skidchap/

In fact, I’d like it if someone could recommend a nice pair for summer, since mine are too warm to wear when it’s hot out.

Don’t neglect boots, either. Again, foot injuries are much more common than you might think. Specific chainsaw boots are cool, but any cheap brand with a steel toe will be much better than nothing. I wear loggers from Georgia Boot, which aren’t super expensive, but are very comfortable and wear nicely.

The people who need them the most are the weekend warriors that dont saw very often and they tend not to own them. I think Labonville's in Gorham NH (my hometown) invented them and make them locally. https://www.labonville.com/ The company I used to work for had a company logging crew and the last company logging camp in the east. Our crews helped refine the design and they had display of chaps that had saved folks from serious injury at the camp where everyone could see. I would suggest calling them to determine the size for you as most people buy them too short. Over the years as chainsaws have gotten more powerful, the federal government specs require them to go thicker to cover the bigger saws and they have gotten heavier. I have a set of suspenders that are attached to mine to keep them from sliding down and transfer the load to my shoulders. Their chainsaw helmet is pretty much a standard design. I have been thumped in the top of the helmet by falling tree branches enough times, that I always use the helmet when dropping trees.

Years ago my brother a former computer geek bought some land to play on and a chainsaw. I gave him some chaps for a Christmas present. He didn't have any real hard hits but had enough small nicks after a few years that he had to replace them. Smart investment for someone new to a saw.

I find its a big disservice to the public that all these so called realty cable TV shows show folks not using chaps or even safety glasses. See a few shots of someones leg sliced open with a chainsaw and the resulting scars and you probably want to buy chaps

Last edited:
I am sold on getting them. I have been lucky more than once and probably shouldn't press my luck anymore. I am leaning towards the husqvarna brand or the forestec. I want lighter because I cut a lot in the summer.
I've read a lot of reviews. Looks like measurements are from waist to ankles. Is that correct? Waists all seem adjustable. I am 6'3, with a 33" waist. Any experience with fitment would be appreciated.

The people who need them the most are the weekend warriors that dont saw very often and they tend not to own them.

I can see the logic in your reasoning there, but you are wrong, by a lot. Check the statistics, if you don’t believe me.

The first time I saw a foot cut off was while sitting in the ER with a broken arm at age 8. Some arborists brought their co-worker in, and his foot in a separate Igloo lunch cooler. Oddly enough, I saw the same thing happen a second time, before I was a teenager. Both professionals.

Are they all throw away after a accident?
By the manufacturer’s instructions, yes. You’ll have to be your own judge on whether the damage is bad enough to justify replacement.

235e5577494e697ca6d70d19e02131bb.jpg

i love my stihl promark chaps. they come in different lengths, which is very nice. I used to have a pair, but they were like capris. didn't do much good down by the ankle where I really wanted them.

i won't start the saw without them on, and now gloves and a helmet...

Every logger I've ever seen in northern Maine wears chaps. Guys I hired to clear 14 acres of roadway and water basin areas all wore them down here. These guys were mostly running feller/bunchers and skidders.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Are they all throw away after a accident?

Depends on how much blood is on them. But seriously, if you have an accident and the chaps save your legs, cherish those chaps and replace with new if needed. I cut for years without chaps. After many years of working in industry, I came to realize just because I worked for years without a serious injury is no reason not to use all appropriate PPE (personal protection equipment). FYI, the majority of industrial type accidents occur in the home.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I've had these chaps for close to thirty years, wore them religiously, and never hit them until about a year ago when I stumbled whilst cutting limbs off. The larger cut happened this morning. Felling a Norway I was making the back cut, stepped back and then I don't know what I did but I saw the chain pull the white material from my chaps and felt the chain bite my leg. The chain pulled the chaps to the side and took a small piece of hide off my thigh. Wasn't deep, didn't bleed much. I may buy the pants instead of the chaps this time around.

IMG_E2272.jpg

I'm down to these 3. Any opinions. I am leaning towards the black huskys. Seem lighter and simpler but I can have my mind changed.31qd5hVTSmL.jpg 41OQ5teVX6L.jpg 81jIrnp8-kL._SL1500_.jpg

If you cut where folks tend to hunt, as I sometimes do, go orange. While I’m a hunter, I fully acknowledge that there’s no IQ test for getting a hunting license.

For fans of Deadpool, I guess they don't offer a red option so its easier to hide the blood stains ;)

Reactions: firefighterjake
Just google chainsaw wound and look at the pictures. It will quickly humble you to the hazard that you are exposing yourself to. There may not be a more dangerous tool on Earth.

I am a utility forester and can tell this is not a matter to take lightly. My contractors are required to wear them religiously while using their saws, it is a company rule and an OSHA requirement. If they are found breaking the rules they are relieved of their job with very few warnings if any at all.

It scares me that a person with no chainsaw experience can buy a saw, go home, and crank these things up with no real training or understanding on how to properly operate a saw.

There is no debate. NEVER OPERATE A SAW WITHOUT CHAINSAW CHAPS. No matter how small of a job it may be. One small slip and it may be your life. I have seen it...done by professionals...

I'm down to these 3. Any opinions. I am leaning towards the black huskys. Seem lighter and simpler but I can have my mind

I have the Husqvarna bottom pair, and absolutely love them. Have worn other chaps and these are wicked comfortable, and have good pockets.

I used to wear chaps most times, but sometimes would not just because. One day I was cutting up an oak with my new to me 441 mag with a brand new chain. I was wearing flannel lined carharts, and cheap long johns.
Barely, and I mean barely, touched my thigh with the saw at just above idle.
Ripped right through the pants (2 layers) and sliced my long johns except for about a 1/4 inch in the middle of the cut.
Left me with a tiny scratch, and i actually still have those long johns and the piece never ripped haha.

Anyways, that was 5 or 6 years ago now, and I always wear chaps now. Got way too lucky