Catalyst Thermometer calibration and question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

Nateums

Dec 11, 2017
Southern Tier
I am getting my one year old Princess ready for the burning season. I pulled the thermometer to wipe it down as per the manual.

The indicator was a little loose and out of place, so I reset it to the bottom tick of the the inactive zone, which I believe is what the manual suggests, though it does not mention the tick mark.

[Hearth.com] Catalyst Thermometer calibration and question

My other concern is that the bottom side of the thermometer housing spins freely. I just want to confirm with others whether your lower housing spins or if it is fixed in place. What is throwing me off is that it almost looks like that opening slit has an orientation.

[Hearth.com] Catalyst Thermometer calibration and question

Thanks!

That is the correct cold meter calibration. I have no idea on the shroud since mine don't have a shroud.

Reactions: Nateums
That is the correct cold meter calibration. I have no idea on the shroud since mine don't have a shroud.

Is the spring just exposed on yours?

Overall I don't think it matters, it seems that the probe heats up and causes the spring to expand, and the housing is there only as a scale to measure where the indicator should be. Still, when it sort of fell apart on me I just wish the manual offered more clarity on how it should be assembled.

Is the spring just exposed on yours?

Overall I don't think it matters, it seems that the probe heats up and causes the spring to expand, and the housing is there only as a scale to measure where the indicator should be. Still, when it sort of fell apart on me I just wish the manual offered more clarity on how it should be assembled.

Yes, the coil spring is just under the face and right above the stove top. The rod sticks down into the stove and will eventually corrode off.

I think what happened is that the blowers cause the coil to cool and the meter to artificially fall so they added a shroud to try and protect the coil from wind in an effort to keep the meter reading closer to accurate. Myself, I seldom use the fans but when I do use them the stove is quite hot. Also, on older stoves like mine that came with no meter shroud, the blowers were turned off by an temperature controlled snap disc so they didn't even blow when the operator might be watching the cat meter to know when to close the bypass.

Reactions: Nateums
Yes, the coil spring is just under the face and right above the stove top. The rod sticks down into the stove and will eventually corrode off.

I think what happened is that the blowers cause the coil to cool and the meter to artificially fall so they added a shroud to try and protect the coil from wind in an effort to keep the meter reading closer to accurate. Myself, I seldom use the fans but when I do use them the stove is quite hot. Also, on older stoves like mine that came with no meter shroud, the blowers were turned off by an temperature controlled snap disc so they didn't even blow when the operator might be watching the cat meter to know when to close the bypass.
I really appreciate this information. Thank you.