Carbonous droppings near chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

zmender

Feeling the Heat
Dec 27, 2021
CT
Hello all,

This morning while outside, I found a number of these small (peanut sized) carbonous nuggets outside on the deck, next to the chimney. There’s probably about 2, 3 dozens of those scattered in the immediate vicinity.

What are those?

Expansion and contraction of your metal (assuming) chimney liner or pipe loosens up creo and the draft carries it up and scatters it about.

It could also be evidence of a chimney fire. Not nessecarily but it is possible. You should definitely check everything out

😲 and I just cleaned the chimney with soot eater a few weeks ago, too! Barely a handful of dropping came out.

It could also be evidence of a chimney fire. Not nessecarily but it is possible. You should definitely check everything out

I'll take a look at interior this weekend. The chimney exteriorly looks fine.

Since moving in I have yet to remove the chimney cap area - I think that's where the creosote might've came from. It looks like a bit gunky.

Soot eater will not remove glaze creosote. Unfortunately, it’s the glaze that catches.

Shame on me for not noticing... I got a crack down the baffle plate earlier.

For some reason the first (nearest to door) secondary tube was consistently popping out of position.

Do note that the vector for stove-related air quality issues could be from top of chimney into second story eaves and windows, rather than out of the stove directly into the living space. This is the situation I occasionally see (or more accurately, smell) in my own house. The stove never smells, but occasionally the wind direction causes make-up air exhausted from a chimney on one part of the house to be drawn into the other end of the house.

So, if it turns out you confirm an air quality problem while burning, it might be resolved by either changes to the venting or choosing your burn days by wind direction.

😲 and I just cleaned the chimney with soot eater a few weeks ago, too! Barely a handful of dropping came out.

I'll take a look at interior this weekend. The chimney exteriorly looks fine.

Since moving in I have yet to remove the chimney cap area - I think that's where the creosote might've came from. It looks like a bit gunky.
i clean with a soot eater as well. I get pieces of creosote stuck around the cap, when they get numerous i know its time to clean. I get these pieces post soot eater clean for a couple weeks as they are dislodged from the cap. They accrue on my roof and wind, rain, etc will bring them down over time in the next weeks.

Shame on me for not noticing... I got a crack down the baffle plate earlier.

For some reason the first (nearest to door) secondary tube was consistently popping out of position.

View attachment 307891
Are those "tubes" welded in? What stove is that?

I got a chimney sweep coming upcoming Tuesday for a full clean + safety inspection.

VC Montpelier. The tube rests in the holders and 1 single cotter pin prevents the tube from sliding around. If the cotter pin is sheared somehow the chimney sweep should be able to replace it next week as well.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I get accumulation on my cap, the sooteater knocks it loose and it winds up on the ground.

That said, folks like bhollar are pros and I listen To them.