Caddy Add-on but using it as a stand-alone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jvpski

Hearth Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
NE Ohio
I have any opportunity to get a PSG Caddy add-on for a very good price. The only thing is I don't want to hook it up to my existing furnace. I want to add it as a stand-alone and connect to existing duct work. Please let me know if this is a viable option. It would be installed in my basement.

it would work, but what are you going to use for supliment heat, when your not home to burn wood?

Why not install it as an add-on? Getting a blower and a housing wouldn't be a problem to operate it as a stand alone. How would you tie it into the ducting?

these units dont come with a blower? if you buy it please take some pictures of it.

The issue with installing it as an add-on is that the area where my gas furnace is located is not good to add a chimney. However, if I put it in another part of my basement then it is easy to install a chimney. I believe they do come with blowers. The dealer that has the unit thinks it will work fine. He will sell it to me for $800, if he does the install.

Thanks for any advice on it.

I'll say thats a steal of a price. Just to make sure your being told the right thing, why not ask the dealer for the exact model number of the furnace and post it here. Sometimes dealers who dont do a lot with the PSG line get confused.

How much is he charging for the install.....

SimpleManLance said:
these units dont come with a blower?

There are 2 different Caddy units. One contains a blower housing built into the cabinet. Basically its a full wood furnace, with a 4 speed direct drive blower. The second unit is an add-on. It is the exact same furnace, minus the blower and housing behind the furnace. The add-on is meant to be installed in series with the current central furnace and use its blower. The other can be a stand alone, or also installed in parallel with the central furnace.

With that said, you will need a blower if not using the central furnace. Just make sure the duct connections are correct and it should work. The Caddy with the blower is a 1400CFM blower. If you use the add-on then I would keep the blower around that size. I agree, thats a steal.

I am going to take a look at the unit this weekend. As for installation of it, he will give me an estimate depending on what I want done with it. He does not do duct work so I would need someone else to look at that part of it.

Thanks for all the info.

I just looked at the unit, still in the crate in is a PSG-AN30. I think it is an older model but for $700 USD I couldn't go wrong.

Anyone familiar with the AN30, I assume it is similar 1500?

John,

The AN30 is a discontinued NON epa certified furnace. I know $700 is cheap but your just buying a very typical add on furnace. You'll burn more wood and make more creosote than an EPA Caddy. This is NOTHING like the pf1500 by the way. This furnace also wont qualify for whatever tax credits the powers that be decide to offer us this year. Lastly, I spoke to one of the engineers at PSG just now in regards to the blower. He said that that furnace is strictly designed to work as an add on with the convection power coming from another furnace. Aside from telling me that AN30 doesnt have an good place to mount a blower, he also said it would void any warranty and because it is a modification of a UL listed product, it would be against code to install.

You have my email address. Shoot me an email and I'll get you a price on a proper unit for you. You'd be better off saving for the right kind of EPA furnace instead of cobbing something together because its cheap. If you really insist on going this route, I would just grab a 1300-1500 cfm blower from a company like Graingers and see if you can talk a local hvac guy into rigging the blower up.

Status
Not open for further replies.