News on epa 2020 certified combination wood furnaces

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If you are wanting to keep this thing going long term, I'd be looking to buy another for spare parts...the newer the better...somewhere in the mid to late 90's they switched to using stainless steel for the heat exchanger, just FYI.
There are a ton of these things out there, so you do see them pop up for sale now and again...I've even seen brand new uninstalled ones a time or two.

So with renewed enthusiasm the wife and I turned out the lights and shined a flashlight up in the white sleeve for the oil burner. As soon as I face a flashlight towards the burner the light above the plenum as we see when the oil burner is lit becomes visible. The only damage we can see to the white sleeve is a crack opposite the burner at the edge to the fire chamber. Makes me think that it would actually be better to be burning wood. Use the burner to start the wood then turn it off once lit.

If you are wanting to keep this thing going long term, I'd be looking to buy another for spare parts...the newer the better...somewhere in the mid to late 90's they switched to using stainless steel for the heat exchanger, just FYI.
There are a ton of these things out there, so you do see them pop up for sale now and again...I've even seen brand new uninstalled ones a time or two.
Yes, definitely trying very hard to keep it. We have been looking for ones online but besides that one in PA that you or someone had posted to us a while back (which got sold before I hit the guy up), we don't see any. PLEASE, if you see any post back with it so we can check it out. Thanks!

PLEASE, if you see any post back with it so we can check it out. Thanks!
Will do...I always have my eyes open for wood burner deals, so...
Yours is a LWO model, correct?

Will do...I always have my eyes open for wood burner deals, so...
Yours is a LWO model, correct?

Thanks!! I messaged them. Its about 4.5 hrs away but hey, its parts. I did find woodsman in NH that had some parts available so that is good. I believe we need the Pyrolite Pot liner as we can see a crack in it and its not up against the stove pipe. We ordered that part - hopefully it fixes it. For now we can start the fire manually without using the oil as that does not create that flame we can see thru the vent, which you say is an issue with the firebox.

The liner would sorta fix it for now, but the real issue is there is a hole in the steel firebox somewhere ...
I traveled about 6 hrs to pick up my Husky...it was in Penn Yan NY and was bought for $250 (IIRC) which was a steal, because it was still in pretty good shape.

The liner would sorta fix it for now, but the real issue is there is a hole in the steel firebox somewhere ...
I traveled about 6 hrs to pick up my Husky...it was in Penn Yan NY and was bought for $250 (IIRC) which was a steal, because it was still in pretty good shape.
Its so hard to see in there. I think my husband can take off the front panel to see. Wow, that was a good deal but the problem I see is they go so fast. I did contact that woman early this morn and she already has someone coming in 2 weeks but says if that falls thru we are next. Its pretty beat up but only 4.5 hrs away. thanks again!

Its so hard to see in there. I think my husband can take off the front panel to see
To get the front panel off, the plenum has to come off...its not that difficult to strip these things down, but it is not quick since its one of those things where you have to take off part A before B, and B before C, C before D, so on n so forth...
IIRC once the plenum is off you can take the end panels off (L and R) which may allow you to take some of the sheet metal apart that divides the supply and the return (hot n cold) air flow, then you can really start to get a good look at things...a good light and a mechanics mirror will help too, or maybe an inspection cam...those are pretty cheap these days...but bottom line is things will probably have to be taken all apart to access things for a permanent repair anyways.

To get the front panel off, the plenum has to come off...its not that difficult to strip these things down, but it is not quick since its one of those things where you have to take off part A before B, and B before C, C before D, so on n so forth...
IIRC once the plenum is off you can take the end panels off (L and R) which may allow you to take some of the sheet metal apart that divides the supply and the return (hot n cold) air flow, then you can really start to get a good look at things...a good light and a mechanics mirror will help too, or maybe an inspection cam...those are pretty cheap these days...but bottom line is things will probably have to be taken all apart to access things for a permanent repair anyways.
Thanks for the info and help again!

Reactions: brenndatomu
Probably not a ton of help, but here is a pic of my Husky when I was tearing it out...it was a RWO, so everything is the same, just flipped around the other way for the RH flue...here you can see the bare firebox with the oil burner pot on the right side there (red highlighter) which by the way, that pot is welded onto the firebox (IIRC) but they had a bolt on replacement for them at one time.
1711766040414.png