Buying a bk king 40 couple questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The fireplace does have to be pretty large though if a king will fit in it even if it's just a little bit

Reactions: Highbeam
How tall is your chimney (stove top to cap)?

Also, do you have dry wood? This stove needs really dry wood to perform satisfactory. Most modern stoves do. Quite a few folks upgrading initially are disappointed and complaining when they paid attention to all detailed requirements, but forgot about the wood.
17ft, yes I have dry wood. I have a mix of red oak, maple, white oak, and some pine. I also save my waste from my sawmill that I cut up and stack in big metal baskets that I burn mostly in the fisher papa bear that heats my shop. I have built a saw dust heater that I like a little fab work on that I am going to put in my shop as well. I have an endless supply of sawdust.

Bk doesn't make an insert with the same btu output as the king but many other manufacturers do. For it's size the king really isn't a high btu stove. It just has a big fuel tank for long burns
That is why I wanted the king, i am not worried about the high heat as much as the long burn times. I am currently feeding my Hardy h2 about a wheel barrow full a day and that has gotten old over the last 3 winters.

Reactions: stoveliker
Wood is good if <20 pct.
The 17' may be ok, or it may not be depending on a horizontal run and 90 (or better, 2 45s) deg elbows. Those add to the required stack height. BKs are not easy breathers, so don't skimp on total (effective) stack height.

Wood is good if <20 pct.
The 17' may be ok, or it may not be depending on a horizontal run and 90 (or better, 2 45s) deg elbows. Those add to the required stack height. BKs are not easy breathers, so don't skimp on total (effective) stack height.
Yes on 2 45's vs a 90. It's just like putting a dust collector pipe system, 90's reduce flow.

I've been burning soo much wood that I'm converting my splitter into a 23hp kubota diesel powered unit with a 28gpm pump. Built a hydraulic wedge system, and a log lift.

Yes on 2 45's vs a 90. It's just like putting a dust collector pipe system, 90's reduce flow.

Yes. But so do 45s. The BK manual is nice and clear about the additional height their stoves require for each elbow and each ft of horizontal run (and each 1000 ft above sea level). You can download it from their site.

Regarding king vs princess, even the princess can run more than 24 hrs when the output is dialled down. And the princess is available as an insert.

I've been burning soo much wood that I'm converting my splitter into a 23hp kubota diesel powered unit with a 28gpm pump. Built a hydraulic wedge system, and a log lift.

Lol
Don't want to see the extent of your drying stacks then. Would make me too jealous 😉

That is why I wanted the king, i am not worried about the high heat as much as the long burn times. I am currently feeding my Hardy h2 about a wheel barrow full a day and that has gotten old over the last 3 winters.
The king is not high heat. Especially not with long burn times

Yes. But so do 45s. The BK manual is nice and clear about the additional height their stoves require for each elbow and each ft of horizontal run (and each 1000 ft above sea level). You can download it from their site.
Isn't this a straight-up the chimney liner system being proposed? If the liner is insulated, then it should be fine. FWIW, Highbeam has been running his Princess on a 12 or 13' stack for over a decade now. For Alabama that should be more than sufficient.

Isn't this a straight-up the chimney liner system being proposed? If the liner is insulated, then it should be fine. FWIW, Highbeam has been running his Princess on a 12 or 13' stack for over a decade now. For Alabama that should be more than sufficient.

if it's a stove that won't fit in, it likely can't go straight up. An insert, yes.

I don't know why BK updated their stack height requirement (whether something changed or not), and thus whether the 12-13' is actually an applicable datapoint here, for this stove.

Moreover, given Alabama, I'd say a taller chimney may be needed (than 15') given the higher outside temps and thus lower draft. This would make me feel more comfortable "comfortably exceeding" the required specifications.
(Or maybe i'm misreading your "more than sufficient" comment...?)

If it's straight up 17', it'll likely be ok. If it has 1-2 ft horizontal, and thus two 90s, it won't.

Still jealous 😂
usually try to keep about 20 of these loaded up and ready to go. I can stick 4 in my kiln and in 2 weeks the Mc is right on the money.
Buying a bk king 40 couple questions

It is, worst case if I need to sit it completely out of the fireplace I ordered some extra bends.
You need to go straight up 2' before elbows according to BK

I ordered the insulation to wrap the liner as suggested.

I shouldn't have to.
Yes, if the fireplace cavity is 48" high then worst case scenario you should be able to do a 45 off the stove for a short offset and another 45 to the liner. Did you order the stove with the classic base kit? That reduces the height to 32 5/8". (Doing this with a 6" liner for the Princess is easier.)

Soooo? This King is going to be stuffed into a masonry fireplace with a new 8" insulated stainless liner. Correct? No bends. No 90's. Has the original poster consulted with BK about the freestanding stove having a rear mounted therm. assembly? How will this be operated if the stove is recessed? Reaching back between a roasting hot stove and a brick wall to grab the control knob sounds like no fun. And more importantly. Will the thermostatic control, function correctly in this confined configuration? Couple things I would likely confirm prior to going this route. Right?

So what are the fireplace dimensions? just curious because the T-stat nob is located on the upper right side and the by-pass is mid right side, you dont want conflicts especially with the by-pass handle, that gets moved clock wise from open to close and you'll want a little space to operate.

Soooo? This King is going to be stuffed into a masonry fireplace with a new 8" insulated stainless liner. Correct? No bends. No 90's. Has the original poster consulted with BK about the freestanding stove having a rear mounted therm. assembly? How will this be operated if the stove is recessed? Reaching back between a roasting hot stove and a brick wall to grab the control knob sounds like no fun. And more importantly. Will the thermostatic control, function correctly in this confined configuration? Couple things I would likely confirm prior to going this route. Right?
In my head with little knowledge, it can be done if the fireplace is big enough and if you use 30 deg stainless elbows with a liner section in-between (dont know how big the smoke shelf area is though and what the fireplace height and width are/