Buying a bk king 40 couple questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jkade72

Dec 8, 2021
Alabama
New to the site but ive been reading on here for days. Our old house was built in the early 1800s and I'm currently running a hardy boiler and man I've had a belly full of that. The hardy does a heck of a job at heating the house but the heat to wood consumption is ridiculous.

I'm going to pull the trigger on a king 40 tomorrow. I have a buddy that has 1 and he swears by it and everything I've read all owners do.

Question, I'm going to put the stove in the middle of the house in the hallway between the bed rooms where the fireplace is located. There is a return in our bedroom and my son's bedroom for the central air which each will be about 10ft from the stove. How about letting the central circulate the heat from the stove seeing as it will be so close to the returns?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I think I finally found my answer after several searches. I will try the celing fans reversed and use some fans if needed to push the air towards the stove

New to the site but ive been reading on here for days. Our old house was built in the early 1800s and I'm currently running a hardy boiler and man I've had a belly full of that. The hardy does a heck of a job at heating the house but the heat to wood consumption is ridiculous.

I'm going to pull the trigger on a king 40 tomorrow. I have a buddy that has 1 and he swears by it and everything I've read all owners do.

Question, I'm going to put the stove in the middle of the house in the hallway between the bed rooms where the fireplace is located. There is a return in our bedroom and my son's bedroom for the central air which each will be about 10ft from the stove. How about letting the central circulate the heat from the stove seeing as it will be so close to the returns?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Lots of folks try running their central furnace fans to circulate the air in hopes of spreading the heat around. Not many find it effective but why not try?

Are the ducts going thru unconditioned spaces? Are they insulated?

I also believe returns should be farther away from a stove than 10 ft by code.

Code dictates that you need 10ft minimum from any returns with the stove, so be mindful of that. Also many folks here find pushing colder denser air towards the stove is better then trying to capture luke warm air and sending it out. I think furnace air needs to be 130 or more deg f for you not to feel drafty / chilly when it comes out the vent and into the room.
The central location of your stove will play an important role to stove function, especially when running that stove on a lower setting, think of it as a large space heater.
Remember King stove = 8" chimney, all black pipe needs to be double wall (dvl) and then class a from the ceiling / roof on outward.

Reactions: clancey
Code dictates that you need 10ft minimum from any returns with the stove, so be mindful of that. Also many folks here find pushing colder denser air towards the stove is better then trying to capture luke warm air and sending it out. I think furnace air needs to be 130 or more deg f for you not to feel drafty / chilly when it comes out the vent and into the room.
The central location of your stove will play an important role to stove function, especially when running that stove on a lower setting, think of it as a large space heater.
Remember King stove = 8" chimney, all black pipe needs to be double wall (dvl) and then class a from the ceiling / roof on outward.
I'm actually using existing chimney, I ordered 8in flex for it and insulation. Basically the stove is going to sit in front of the fireplace with 1/4 of the stove being recessed back to line up with the opening for the 8in to exit thru current chimney.

Most of the duct is in the attic and the duct is insulated. There's no code where I live lol
No code. Hmmmm? Hopefully there is a bit of common sense however! BK's run very low and slow. Any other forced air appliance that pulls air from near a wood stove can scavenge/change the amount of available air that the wood stove needs to maintain correct venting. Be sure your CO detectors are functioning correctly.

^ That.
This code exists because people have died.

Reactions: bholler
I'm not your average run of the mill moron. I'm very aware of distance to combustibles etc. I just wasn't sure about the hvac pulling air.

Most of the duct is in the attic and the duct is insulated. There's no code where I live lol
Yes there is code where you live

I'm actually using existing chimney, I ordered 8in flex for it and insulation. Basically the stove is going to sit in front of the fireplace with 1/4 of the stove being recessed back to line up with the opening for the 8in to exit thru current chimney.
Recessing a stove with a thermostat on the back of the stove in a firebox is not a good idea. It can effect performance quite a bit

Recessing a stove with a thermostat on the back of the stove in a firebox is not a good idea. It can effect performance quite a bit

Some of these Alabama fireplaces can be gigantic I'd bet.

Yes, a BK insert is recommended for fireplaces for this reason.

I'm not your average run of the mill moron. I'm very aware of distance to combustibles etc. I just wasn't sure about the hvac pulling air.

Nobody called you names. We only responded to concerns that seemed to arise from the tidbits of info we got (including "we have no code, lol"...)

The goal is to help as best as we can to get you as safe and as happy as you can.

Reactions: bholler
Recessing a stove 6in is going to render it unless? I better cancel my order.
Talk to bk about it they will know best. But I know it has caused issues in the past

Nah, only in texas.

Texas. Wasn't aware

I wasn't aware they made a insert that has the btu rating of the king?

No king. Only princess for insert (and 25 boxes).

Nah, only in texas.

Texas. Wasn't aware

I wasn't aware they made a insert that has the btu rating of the king?
Bk doesn't make an insert with the same btu output as the king but many other manufacturers do. For it's size the king really isn't a high btu stove. It just has a big fuel tank for long burns

How tall is your chimney (stove top to cap)?

Also, do you have dry wood? This stove needs really dry wood to perform satisfactory. Most modern stoves do. Quite a few folks upgrading initially are disappointed and complaining when they paid attention to all detailed requirements, but forgot about the wood.

Bk doesn't make an insert with the same btu output as the king but many other manufacturers do. For it's size the king really isn't a high btu stove. It just has a big fuel tank for long burns

Correct. In NC though, the turn down of a blaze king is useful.