Buck model 94 or Englander 30 NC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
PLAYS WITH FIRE said:
The pizza oven is under hood that exhaust the heat out. Well, every thing that puts out heat is under exhaust hood.

As for going from buck 91 to 94 I can only assume as I have heard him say that folks he sold to rave about long burn times and heat output. Timmy is a guy who must have the newest and the best.

At my parent's place I think the least amount of maintenance and heat output is the key. They will have to learn how to burn differently in this stove and that may be enough for them. Having to learn how to burn in a cat stove may throw them into melt down!

I am still considering all possibilities and I will talk in more detail with my buddy. If he says Buck 91 then that will be that. But he highly recommended the Buck 94 from his faithful customers.

Does it seem practical to be dumping all that heat outdoors without extracting some benefits from it to reduce hot water and heating bills? There are some real savings to be had there. Here are some ideas on what can be done:

(broken link removed)
pizza oven hot water recovery:
(broken link removed)

PLAYS WITH FIRE said:
The pizza oven is under hood that exhaust the heat out. Well, every thing that puts out heat is under exhaust hood.

As for going from buck 91 to 94 I can only assume as I have heard him say that folks he sold to rave about long burn times and heat output. Timmy is a guy who must have the newest and the best.

At my parent's place I think the least amount of maintenance and heat output is the key. They will have to learn how to burn differently in this stove and that may be enough for them. Having to learn how to burn in a cat stove may throw them into melt down!

I am still considering all possibilities and I will talk in more detail with my buddy. If he says Buck 91 then that will be that. But he highly recommended the Buck 94 from his faithful customers.

Also, if he is going from a smoke dragon to an EPA stove, he might not like the catalytic stove. I'm a fan of catalytic stoves. I am on my second one. I will probably replace at least on of the other stoves with another cat stove. But, based on this forum, their is a pretty good record of people going from old pre-epa stoves to catalytic stoves and complaining about them because they don't bother to learn how to use the stove, or their wood burning habits are poor.

OTOH a cat stove may be a good fit. It can be run hot to warm the place up, then banked down to idle when the place is running full tilt and full of warm bodies all contributing heat. That's why I suggested the BK with a thermostat.

BeGreen said:
OTOH a cat stove may be a good fit. It can be run hot to warm the place up, then banked down to idle when the place is running full tilt and full of warm bodies all contributing heat. That's why I suggested the BK with a thermostat.

I think the BK would be great. Especially if he is going with an 8" pipe for the Buck anyhow. If I was buying it for my business/restaurant, I'd want something that I do not have to tend to all the time. That screams BK.

After some deep thought we've decided to go with the Englander 30. I placed the order today but there is an issue.....The pipe already there is 8" double wall, the Englander is 6". The pipe I know they got from Lowe's a few years back. I need to go from 6" to 8" double wall. I have been looking but it is a might confusing. Any ideas on helping a brother out?

The reason we went with the Englander is it looks good, burns good, only slightly less cubic ft than the Buck and it is half the price. They look very well built and the main reason is dudes on here who have much more experience than I do say they are good and that goes along way........;-)

What brand pipe is this? Is the double-wall the connector pipe or the chimney pipe?

Double wall connector pipe directly from the stove. I don't know the brand but can try to find out.....

If I can't find manufacturer, will the O.D. be good enough?

Reactions: jkk
Turns out the diameter of the flue is 6" I.D. and 8" O.D., who knew? Soooooo, stove will arrive Monday the 12th and will be installed.

A picture of the pipe would really help here. Normally 6" double-wall connector pipe is 7" OD.

Gotcha, I won't be there till tomorrow morning. I will get the info. There used to be a sticker on the back side of the pipe, I don't think it is there anymore. I am sure the pipe is 5+ years old.

Good choice on the non-cat. I want a cat for home burning because I am a woodstove geek and I want long unattended burns and don't mind the extra steps. In a restaraunt, a non-cat is superior for a couple of reasons including shorter burn times (let it go out if it gets too hot), better view, easier to run, and less sensitive to wood quality. A cat stove is like a nail gun vs. the non-cat being a fine framing hammer.

Eying that stove with a bad name, Highbeam?

The pipe is SUPERVENT with 6" ID and 8" OD. I could not get any part number from the pipe. I did get a part number from the locking bands (JSC6SLB).

The pipe is the twist lock kind. I need more!

I think from this page (broken link removed to http://www.selkirkcorp.com/WorkArea/showcontent.aspx?id=7446) that I need (JSC6SA3) which is 6" by 36" (6"ID and 8"OD).

I think I am ok?

BeGreen said:
Eying that stove with a bad name, Highbeam?

Absolutely. The dang thing seems to be built for my hearth. We'll see what the clearance requirements end up being and how people like it before I leap.

I poke fun at Dennis but beneath it all I have been convinced of the merits of a cat stove for often unattended 24/7 home burning by someone who is willing to learn the extra steps for the cat.

In our climate a cat should work very well. I will be really interested in seeing how it works out for you if you get one.

My mom and dad received thier 30 to day and are thrilled beyond belief! However, it did not come with the blower.....Hmmmm, no biggie. I thought that I seen it on the web site as saying it came with the blower.

Well, I jumped on the HD web site and seen that it did infact NOT come with the blower. Then I noticed the price! It said 649 bux! I thought I was looking at the wrong stove, nope! I paid 1100 ish bux and got "taken"! Called HD with order number, told them the situation, they got back on the phone and they credited me 550 bux. So they are now 649 bux and free shipping at HD, minus the blower!

I just looked on the Home Depot website and it shows the Englander 30nc is $1199. Where are you seeing a price of $649??

Thanks!

(broken link removed to http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?keyword=englander&selectedCatgry=SEARCH+ALL&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&Ntpc=1&Ntpr=1)

how bout this one:

(broken link removed to http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100291302/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053)

You have to change your local store to his.

Well, I went back to the HD website and changed my "local store" to a Pennsylvania local store and the $649 price popped up. So I ordered it with a S. California shipping address and didn't have any problems placing the order. We will see what happens.

Thank you for the posting Plays with Fire and Brother Bart!!!!

Here some pix from the NC 30 being installed from the resturant. I had a few more but we upgraded to the new Iphone and I have to salvage the pix off the old phone. Here is also a burger for ya!

There is still work going on, finishing the ceiling, finishing the pedestal and basic buttoning up. It will be finished this week and burning soon. I am very excited for my folks to see what they have been missing! The nice thing is there is an exhaust fan right behind the stove to get rid of the break in fire fumes.

The stone was an after thought. My mom wanted it and some folks/friends decided they would do it very cheap. They drink for free for one month :-) Can't beat that and they did a heck of a job!

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Buck model 94 or Englander 30 NC
    new1.webp
    105.3 KB · Views: 321
  • [Hearth.com] Buck model 94 or Englander 30 NC
    new2.webp
    102.5 KB · Views: 292
Status
Not open for further replies.