Blaze king princess

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cookin2night

Jun 26, 2014
NW NEW JERSEY
can't stop Thinking about getting one of these. Burn times are amazing, only hear great reviews. Anyone out there want to tell me I crazy or is the myth real? Also if you have one what's the chimney size requirements? Thanks fellow wood burners.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

6" flue, 16 ft flue system height or greater.

can't stop Thinking about getting one of these. Burn times are amazing, only hear great reviews. Anyone out there want to tell me I crazy or is the myth real? Also if you have one what's the chimney size requirements? Thanks fellow wood burners.

Check out my posts regarding the Kuma Sequoia. I thought about the BK Princess and I have to say that Sequoia does what BK could not... and that is heat a 3,000 SF house as a primary source of heat. I am about to post a video on the Sequoia and use of the Press-To-Logs with it.

Anyways, PM me for off line chat, I think you'll do well if you chose Sequoia instead.

Check out my posts regarding the Kuma Sequoia. I thought about the BK Princess and I have to say that Sequoia does what BK could not... and that is heat a 3,000 SF house as a primary source of heat. I am about to post a video on the Sequoia and use of the Press-To-Logs with it.

Anyways, PM me for off line chat, I think you'll do well if you chose Sequoia instead.
Thanks brother will look into it.

PM me for off line chat, I think you'll do well if you chose Sequoia instead.

No need to take it offline. I’m sure others could benefit from your observations, as well. An open forum to discuss pros and cons is what it’s all about.

Thanks brother will look into it.

Hey man, looks like a great stove. It doesn't get the same run times as the bk princess but it's got a fire box that's almost 50% bigger. The only other drawback is that the nearest dealer is 91 miles away and the nearest bk dealer is 4 miles away from me what else would you say to convince me tip go the kuma route instead of the princess?

We've had a number of princess vs. sequoia threads. I think the consensus has been that they're both great stoves. Princess is much better at shoulder season work, the sequoia is better for heating very large areas at higher burn rates, and boasts a bigger firebox. The seqoia also has a convective sleeve that is apparently helpful in a power outage if you need a fan and don't have a generator.

If you want a BK and the princess is too small, look at the King, which requires an 8' flue.

Edit: Here's a good thread from last year.

Think we're talking an insert here. Should note that the Sequoia takes an 8" flue. That can be a liner challenge for some chimneys.

Reactions: Ashful

How do you know BK could not do it? Do you have any data about? I am interested on your input. Are you ever burn a BK? Are you ever burn both under the same setup and conditions?

Anyone out there want to tell me I crazy or is the myth real?
I would tell you you crazy but then I would have to explain why, and I can't go through all that yet again..it's exhausting! <> Besides, you answered your own question when you used the word 'myth.' ;lol

I would tell you you crazy but then I would have to explain why, and I can't go through all that yet again..it's exhausting! <> Besides, you answered your own question when you used the word 'myth.' ;lol

Geez, you must be right, Woody. Hundreds of BK owners have all met and agreed to lie about burn times. We even had a secret meeting to agree on what the numbers are... you weren’t invited?

It’s not a myth, the burn times are real, if not under-rated by BK. They list my stove at 30 hours maximum, but I have routinely gotten 36 hours of active cat burn on full loads of oak. I think BK rates their stoves on lesser wood (eg. Doug Fir).

Geez, you must be right, Woody. Hundreds of BK owners have all met and agreed to lie about burn times. We even had a secret meeting to agree on what the numbers are... you weren’t invited?

It’s not a myth, the burn times are real, if not under-rated by BK. They list my stove at 30 hours maximum, but I have routinely gotten 36 hours of active cat burn on full loads of oak. I think BK rates their stoves on lesser wood (eg. Doug Fir).

Our we union?

No..if I was invited, I'd be concerned for my safety! ;lol
I should have fleshed out my statement, but didn't want to say anything that anyone could base an argument on. ;) I was really talking about the larger myth of how the BK stoves are "the best." I don't dispute the burn time claims at all, but the main BK advantages (burn time on low, and the thermostat) aren't that high on my priority list. Neither is the BK blower, since we have an open floor plan, but in a cut-up layout the blower is useful to move more heat to other rooms.
Let's take today in So. IN, low 50s now..shoulder weather. I loaded the little 1.5 cu.ft. Keystone box about 12 hrs. ago, and still have a big pile of semi-intact split chunks in there. I haven't touched the air control. It's 73* in here, I have only the storm door closed so I can see outside better and I'm wearing a tee shirt. Stove top is 225. It's only going down into the upper 30s tonight so I won't need to load for another 12 hrs, off the coals that are left. "24-hr. burn," and house temp will have only varied maybe three degrees. I don't have the stove cut to a super-low burn. In fact, I've never bothered to see how low I can run this stove. I'm more concerned with the amount of heat it will put out when it gets very cold out.
The other BK advantage is the thermostat, which would be useful to me to automatically open the air on the coals in cold weather, to keep stove temp up slightly higher, and make more room in our little stove for the reload. Usually though, either my wife or I am here to open the air once toward the end of the burn. If not, no big deal except when it's real cold and we are working harder to keep room temp up in this leaky house with un-insulated walls. Because my stove has an ash grate in the bottom, I can just swirl a poker through the coals and drop the ash into the pan to get back quite a bit of room in the box. And I don't have to work at shoving coals around and shoveling out the ash while trying not to release any dust in the room. Making more room on the fly in this way is handy when it's cold out and I'm running the stove harder and trying to get fresh loads in quicker for higher output.
Another nice thing about my stove is that it will rear-vent into the fireplace, avoiding the "elephant in the room" look of the vertical black connector pipe. These things are higher on my list of priorities than are the BK strengths. So are heavy-duty quality components, top-flight engineering, and build execution.
Yes, I had a seam air leak on my new stove, so Woodstock isn't perfect either..but c'mon, you're really gonna sell a plate-steel stove for $3000+, _g and then to save even more production cost, you are going to glue in the door gasket with dabs of silicone instead of a continuous bead, causing the buyer of the new stove to have to re-do the gasket immediately to reduce smoke smell?? Or you leave weld spatter in the flue collar? Good Lord. ;hm
All I try to do with my BK comments is to inform newbies that there's more to the story than long burn times at low output, and a thermostat. I think anyone considering spending a substantial amount of money should get up to speed on the ins and outs of burning wood, then try to make an informed decision according to their own priorities, which may well differ from mine. I am not trying to start arguments with adherents to the BK mythos. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
. It's only going down into the upper 30s tonight so I won't need to load for another 12 hrs, off the coals that are left. "24-hr. burn,
Can you imagine if you have a BK? You will be getting 72-hr burn, not just 24 hrs.;) ;lol

Reactions: Woody Stover
"It is against the Forum Rules to spend endless threads promoting a certain brand or product, even if you don't financially benefit from it (and, of course, if you do!)."

G'night Gracie.

Status
Not open for further replies.