blaze king or pe super 27 or something else

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

l1011

Oct 25, 2017
ct
Hi all new to the forum, upgading my wood stove a vc vigilante that is used to heat about 1300 sq feet plus sometimes i heat my closed in porch which is about 200 sq feet which is insulated. since I added insulation to my attic the vigilante usually puts out too much heat except when its below 20 degrees out. So the million dollar question is what stove is best for me . the house is a ranch with open living room kitchen and dining area. then hallway to 3 bedrooms and bath. Was looking at the blaze king princess would this be too much stove for my house in northern ct. was also looking at the pacific energy super 27. which would be about 1000 cheaper than the princess. Can I use my existing 8 inch flue which goes straight up. would need to go 6 inch from stove to collar then 8 to 6 adapter??? Thanks for any info/ advice or if a different stove would be better Im open.

From what I've seen around here, and people I know, both the PE and BK are solid stoves, but running them is way different. The BK will turn down low, and PE will require intermittent small fires under shoulder conditions.

If you have a 8" flue that's in good shape you should consider a BK King instead of the Princess. If you are concerned about not overheating, the King will turn down much lower than the Super 27. The Princess and Super 27 requires a 6" flue. The main difference between the King and Princess will be burn time not heat output.

It's about 45-50F here where I live and my BK Ashford 30 has been running on low since yesterday afternoon without a reload or overheating the place. All I've down is pull the remaining fuel into the front center of the firebox about 4hrs ago.

There are some other good catalytic stoves that I don't have any experience with like Woodstock and maybe Buck.

Last edited:
I agree with SuperJ, both are great heaters so it basically boils down to what your preference is between Cat or Non-Cat technology.
If you like "flaming eye-candy" , go with the PE, if you like looooong burn times go with the BK.

I agree with SuperJ, both are great heaters so it basically boils down to what your preference is between Cat or Non-Cat technology.
If you like "flaming eye-candy" , go with the PE, if you like looooong burn times go with the BK.

The PE will beat the BK with the flame show for sure if that's what your going for.

This 1300 SF. Is that total house size? Is there a basement or even a level above this 1300 SF? East coaster folks often only report the room the stove is in. How's your windows and insulation? Is this to be the primary heater for the home? Would you like it to release the heat steadily over 24 hours at constant output?

Both stoves are very good and both can vent into the 8" flue per the manual but would prefer a 6" flue to match their appliance collars.

The PE may be better if you have weak draft due to the 8" flue (King is 8".) More details, such as chimney height, turns in the flue, etc. may give us a better idea of how good your draft may be. I didn't read it, but the link that SuperJ provided may contain some useful info..

Last edited:
Both stoves (Super 27 and Princess) would do a good job of heating the house. The Princess might be better if no one is home for extended periods of time. While the Super 27 has a remarkably good burn time, the Princess has more fuel capacity and can run longer at a lower btu output. This is great for milder weather when no one is home for >10hrs. In comparison the Super 27 will provide a reliable 8-10 hr worth of heat even on a partial load of fuel. With a full load my neighbor is getting regular 12 hr burns. It has a good fireview and less maintenance. With the stainless steel baffle and rails the stove is very tough. Either stove would be a good choice, it just depends on one's lifestyle, aesthetics and budget.

One thing to try if the stove end of the house gets too warm is to even out the heat distribution. A ceiling fan can help. Another trick in a ranch house is to place a fan on the floor at the far end of the hallway, pointed toward the stove room and run on low speed. Cool air will be pushed into the warmer space and in return the warm air will head to the hallway. Several folks have had success with this simple method. Of course it presumes that there are no walls between the hallway and the stove room. If there are then fan location will need to be modified.

Hi all new to the forum, upgading my wood stove a vc vigilante that is used to heat about 1300 sq feet plus sometimes i heat my closed in porch which is about 200 sq feet which is insulated. since I added insulation to my attic the vigilante usually puts out too much heat except when its below 20 degrees out. So the million dollar question is what stove is best for me . the house is a ranch with open living room kitchen and dining area. then hallway to 3 bedrooms and bath. Was looking at the blaze king princess would this be too much stove for my house in northern ct. was also looking at the pacific energy super 27. which would be about 1000 cheaper than the princess. Can I use my existing 8 inch flue which goes straight up. would need to go 6 inch from stove to collar then 8 to 6 adapter??? Thanks for any info/ advice or if a different stove would be better Im open.
Howdy! Looks like you got the Ashford 20--super choice for your space. I'm thinking of it for a similar building. (Also considering PE Super 27/Alderlea T5).

My question for you is regarding the flue--did you just adapt the Ashford to the 8"?

Reason I ask is because my flue for the new stove spot is 7".

If you did just adapt to the 8", how is your draft? Thanks and stay warm :)

Both are great stoves, its a tough choice. I run a BK princess and I enjoy the variability of choosing my BTU output for the weather we are experiencing. Last week I was running the stove on high, keeping the house in the low 70's with burn times of 10hrs (useful heat) to today, temps in the 50's, stove is running low, filled her up yesterday evening and will do a refill tonight before bed so 24hr burn time, again keeping the house in the low 70's.
But the PE is also a nice stove and has a great reputation.

Both are great stoves, its a tough choice. I run a BK princess and I enjoy the variability of choosing my BTU output for the weather we are experiencing. Last week I was running the stove on high, keeping the house in the low 70's with burn times of 10hrs (useful heat) to today, temps in the 50's, stove is running low, filled her up yesterday evening and will do a refill tonight before bed so 24hr burn time, again keeping the house in the low 70's.
At hour 10 what type of stove temps are you seeing on the high burn?

At hour 10 what type of stove temps are you seeing on the high burn?
I don't have a stove top thermometer, all I know is at hour 10 running at high I have coals, a still active cat with heat coming off the top, when I reload, I simply rake the coals forward, push the ash backwards to the rear of the stove and then load more wood. Keep in mind that I only run the stove like this when outside temps are in the low teens, low temps in the single digits or near zero. When temps are more normal like teens at night, 20's / 30's in the day I still load twice a day, except I don't need to do full loads, I just top off what I have in the fire box, If temps are mid 20's and higher at night with 40's during the day I'll just load once every 24hrs. So far I literally have burned 2 cords this season, I started burning at the beginning of November.

Last edited:
Reactions: lsucet
I don't have a stove top thermometer, all I know is at hour 10 running at high I have coals, a still active cat with heat coming off the top, when I reload, I simply rake the coals forward, push the ash backwards to the rear of the stove and then load more wood. Keep in mind that I only run the stove like this when outside temps are in the low teens, low temps in the single digits or near zero. When temps are more normal like teens at night, 20's / 30's in the day I still load twice a day, except I don't need to do full loads, I just top off what I have in the fire box, If temps are mid 20's and higher at night with 40's during the day I'll just load once every 24hrs. So far I literally have burned 2 cords this season, I started burning at the beginning of October.
This describes my situation as well...easy...peasy.

Hey folks all good thoughts. This thread is from the start of this burning season and I think the OP went with the Ashford 20, according to his sig and posts in other threads.

I wanted to hear from him whether he just adapted to the 8" flu or replaced it with 6"... and how it's "breathing" if so.

Cheers :)