Blaze King-King wood consumption and other BK questions???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiram Maxim

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 25, 2007
SE Michigan
Come on guys.......Are there no Blaze King owners with Hardwood feedback?

I'm starting to question this purchase........

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Blaze King-King Ultra w/blower. (yes it will be Brown, Brother Bart)LOL

I think this is the right stove for my living situation and lifestyle.

My home is right around 2100 sq ft that is now pretty well insulated.

Now in my part of the world we burn mostly hard wood.......so I would really like to hear from you owners that are burning hard wood,but soft wood consumption would be nice to hear about as well.

My question/s are:

(1) What size is your home?

(2) Where do you live?

(3) How well is it insulated?

(4) What is the average temp in your home?

(5) how much wood are you guys burning per year?

(6) Are you using the outside air for combustion?

(7) What are your burn times?

(8) How many splits do load it up with (average)?

(9) And what are your likes and dislike?

(10) What brand of 8" stove pipe kit did you go with?

(11) How tall is your chimney?

(12)What position/setting do you run your stove at normally?

I honestly appreciate you guys and your input! :)

Trying to save myself some time cutting,splitting, & stacking.......and increase my heating capabilities.

Thank you,Hiram

HM,
I don't have a year of burning with my BKK yet, but I'll offer some info for your data collection if it's of any benefit. I also have two friends with the same stove which are also new BKK owners and I can include some of their info as well (Friend A and B).

1) My house is about 3000 sq ft total, but recently I've only been heating about 850 sq ft (first floor) to 1700 sg ft (insulated basement and 1st floor) of the house. The first floor ceilings are only half insulated with R15, so there's some heat loss to the 2nd and 3rd floor (the upper floors stay in the 40's and 50's throughout the winter, in low single digit temps they drop as low as 39°).

Friend A has about 2000 sq ft with the heated basement and upper floor. His basement (stove location) is only about 1/2 insulated at this point.

Friend B lives a small house, I'd guess he has about 750 sq ft (not a typo). Yes, he insisted on the larger BK because he wants to try loading only once a day for much of the season. He gets the most stove/sq ft award!

2) All three of us are in CT. I'm direct coastal, the other two are more central.

3) I'd say all three have average insulation. My windows are low-e, argon filled, double pane. Don't know about the others.

4) Average temp in my house is probably low 70s on the first floor. Friend A is probably high 60's and friend B likes it warm (he'll have no problem achieving this! :cheese:).

5) Unknown with the BKKs. I'm guessing under 3 cords to heat the basement and 1st floor of my house (if I don't use the pellet stove or my high efficiency mini splits, which I will during the shoulder seasons). Friend A will likely come in a little over 3 cords and B will certainly be under 3 cords.

6) I have plumbed in a 4" OAK, which I will use unless I have problems associated with it (unlikely). The other 2 I believe aren't using OAK.

7) Only experimental burns, but 24 hrs plus at low burn (oak). Friend B is already heating and has gone 12 hrs or so with only 5 splits "a hair larger than a 4x4 in diameter", but he hasn't fully loaded the fire box yet.

8) Unknown.

9) All of us have nothing but praise so far. Loving the fact that this stove can be turned WAY down. The burn is fairly consistent throughout. Obviously burn time is a huge plus. The only major complaint all of us have is the 8" flue requirement. The looks are a little subjective, but we all bought the parlor model and all think it's a decent looking stove in this configuration.

10) Selkirk, Simpson, Selkirk. All double wall and/or class A.

11) Mine is a little over 35', but 6". A is about 20', and B I think is at 16', both 8".

12) It looks like all of our stoves will be run at the low to medium settings. I can't see needing more than this, plus I think this stove is most efficient at it's lower range.

If I had to guess, and again it's a guess, I'd say you'd use about 1/4 to a 1/3 less wood with the BK over the 30.

I know a lot of this isn't good solid historical data, but hopefully it might help you to see what we are doing.

My question/s are:

(1) What size is your home?-- 1700 sq ft, single level. Cedar log, scissor truss roof

(2) Where do you live? -- No. New Mexico, 6400 ft elev. with lots of wind from the mountains

(3) How well is it insulated?--- 8 inch cedar log walls, uninsulated pine floor, R-19 ceiling, wood frame double pane windows

(4) What is the average temp in your home? ---Varies considerably with weather and propane heat in spring and fall. In full winter with fire, 65 to 75.

(5) how much wood are you guys burning per year? --- 2.5 full cubic cords of pine and pinon, 60 gallons of propane for early fall/late spring heating

(6) Are you using the outside air for combustion? I had this in one house with a King, I definately liked it. I plan on rebuilding my hearth in the current house next year and will install it. Better burn if house is shut tight, and why drag cold air through the living area?

(7) What are your burn times? Depends on how I load the stove, 10 to 12 hours on a 70% box full load of good quality pine is no problem. Stuffed full with best quality conifer, set to low burn, will easily keep the house livable for well past 30 hours (we might leave for a shopping trip for a day or so, it is only important to keep the house from "cold soaking". At that point you are not really burning a fire, but distilling the wood and reclaiming the creosote by the combustor heat.

(8) How many splits do load it up with (average)? I prefer unsplit wood, 6 inch rounds are nice. 4-5 of these with some smaller pieces up front works well, but it always varies with the wood. In the coldest part of winter, at 15 below with a 40 mph wind, it is loaded, cranked to 90% and blowers on, we are good for all night and reload about 10 the next morning.

(9) And what are your likes and dislike? "load it and forget it", long burns, clean the chimney cap 3 times, brush it once per season. Wish it were prettier, don't like the fan noise, but do like the function of the fans when needed.

(10) What brand of 8” stove pipe kit did you go with? Selkirk, available locally, not because it was superior, which it might be.

(11) How tall is your chimney? About 14 feet from stove top, could use 2 more to clear roof better,

(12)What position/setting do you run your stove at normally? Hard to tell, the decal is gone (1992 princess) , but estimate 70 per cent. I adjust it 3 or 4 times a year if the weather gets extreme

Hiram, I have all of a weeks experience with the model you are considering. I think your biggest consideration should be the experience. There is no doubt that it has a big firebox that you can load up and then it has the control mechanism to do whatever you want with the fire. For instance, I doubt you would choose to ever use your furnace again in the "shoulder season" as you can dial this thing right where you want it and it lasts a long time. And after a few high burn runs, there is little doubt in my mind that it is going to put the heat out when called upon. Back to the experience, the question you should ask yourself is whether these utilitarian benefits are worth not having a beautiful stove with flames as a center piece in your home. This is a big steel box that does little more than glow.

i think the blaze king king is the best looking stove out there. its a manstove for sure.. tim taylor would be proud of!

author="SolarAndWood" date="1254951494" Back to the experience, the question you should ask yourself is whether these utilitarian benefits are worth not having a beautiful stove with flames as a center piece in your home. This is a big steel box that does little more than glow.

Solar & Wind,
I'm not getting rid of My Englander 30....... ;-) To me that's a beautiful stove and can still fire that baby up! The whole install paid for itself in under 5 months.

The Blaze king would go on the other side of the Englander (still central to the house)but honestly I like the looks of the BKK.

I'm just interested to find out how that sucker will perform as there is not that much "actual use" with hard wood posted that I can find much information about.

My gas bills went from around $3000 per year to $300 per year so adding another stove cannot hurt. The way I figure it I'm either going to pay the gas company $3K or myself....LOL

Wow, that would be quite the duo. I won't be burning hardwood for a while, but will let you know when I do.

Thank you,That would be great! :lol:

Hiram Maxim said:
Thank you,That would be great! :lol:

hey, how did this play out I wonder. I'm considering dropping a parlor king in my leaky 110 yo home. Sounds like the bigger unit on lower setting may be the way ta go.

Still searching site for like info. Plz post or Pm if u have any additional testimonial

TBC...

Status
Not open for further replies.