Blaze King insert as freestanding unit?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

christal

Hearth Supporter
Nov 30, 2009
Nebraska
Hi, I just bought a new home over the summer and it has a wood stove that i am going to start using but what its sitting on dont look right, while googling i found this site, so i hope you all can help me. To start my stove is a Blaze King and i found out it is a late 1970's to early 1980's model King, dont know the number. I had someone come look at the hearth pad it sits on and he said it was alright, and it will work good not to worry, cause its an insert and the bottom does not get that hot, but i want more conformation. Its 6' by 6' and 2 levels high and from what he said he took some tile off and looked under it, its 2x4 framed with cement board and tile, then on top of that is another 3'x3' platform made the same way that the stove sits directly on top of the tile with no legs. Does that sound like it should work, i dont have the extra money after my move to get someone else out here to look at it. I'm going to use it on weekends and after work. I grew up being in charge of our wood stove at my parents house, so i know how to use it, thats why i'm excited to start using it. Thanks Christal

Christal,

Welcome to the forum! Sorry, I can't help you with your question. You probably won't get any answer tonight as most of the "Knowledgeable Ones" have probably tossed their last log of the night into their stoves and are tucked into their beds for the night. Hang tight - there is a wealth of knowledge around here. In the mean time, if you could post a picture of your beauty I'm sure it would help the gurus.

Shari

Welcome Christal, The people on this site have given me alot of great advice in the past year, so ya should get some great advice too. Sounds like ya have the same BK i have in my shop, good stove LOTS of heat, should be a KFF403 model insert. The middle of bottom on mine dont get very hot just warm but from the from the edge to about 4-6 inches in on the bottom gets preaty hot, so i have it on a metal frame 2 inches above the concrete. Now I don't know anything about hearth pads or how much heat the tile or the other board will take so maybe this info will help others give ya some advice.
Good luck, and if you have any questions about runnin your BK just ask. JD

In that time period 2 King models where made The KFF 403 non-cat and the KEI 1300 cat stove. If you look inside the stove and its all open, nothing in the box at all, but fire brick its a KFF 403 thats what i have, but if in the top back there's a honeycomb looking piece with a metal shield then its a KEI 1300. Sorry i still can't help with the hearth question, someone has to have an opinion on this. This stove must have been popular in this area in that time period i've had alot of questions from people in the NE,SD,IA,KS areas about this stove. JD

Thank you for helping with determining what stove I have, thats a big help. But is the thing its sitting on safe, so i can start burning wood in it? If not what should i sit it on, will bricks work, how about the frame can i buy one and where?

christal said:
Thank you for helping with determining what stove I have, thats a big help. But is the thing its sitting on safe, so i can start burning wood in it? If not what should i sit it on, will bricks work, how about the frame can i buy one and where?

Soooo what stove do you have? Also a picture of your existing set up would be nice to answer your questions further.
Welcome aboard by the way.

Sorry i have been super busy. I have a kff-403 model. I dont have a camera right now, just trying to get back on my feet with 3 kids under 5 and trying to finish school, its been hard sence my husband past. Any more thoughts about what the stove is sitting on?

Welcome fellow Husker. Easiest thing might be to find a friend with a camera phone to post some pics. Good luck with your Blaze King. It should throw a lot of heat for you.

Your concerns for safety are valid. This old box will throw out a lot of heat and will eat a lot of wood. The bottom can get very warm if the blower is not working and running.

It would help a lot for us to see what is there. I would also be equally concerned about the quality of the flue and flue connecting pipe. How is this being connected to the flue? It was not built for a regular connection. Is there a safe adapter in place? Posting some pictures can help us assess things, but this is at a distance and not the same as having a local trained eye on the system. Do this correctly, or there will be little to no money saved and a real safety risk.

Also, do you have nice dry wood at this time? Damp wood will turn this into a headache.

Status
Not open for further replies.