Blaze King Fan Problem ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pete97

Hearth Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
Pittsburgh Pa
I have a Blaze King Princess Insert. Awesome stove and has worked great so far this yr. (1st Yr using this stove) I have a problem with the blower. When I shut the blower off when the fan is cool and then load the stove and get it back up to temp the fan doesn't work right. Meaning, when I turn the fan back on it doesn't blow on the low settings until I run it on high for a few minutes then all of a sudden it " kicks in" and blows like it should. Is there a problem with the fan or the reostat? Anyone else have this problem? Thanks in advance Pete

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer to your question. But I saw your post and wanted to say that you've got a really neat stove there.

I was just over at a friend's house last night admiring his Blaze King insert. I knew he burned wood but hadn't been in his house to see his setup. That insert really throws great heat! The catalytic combined with the fan and his large brick hearth enable him to easily heat his large older house. When it was time to leave, it was hard to walk away from that great back warmer!

Thanks. It heats my 2 story home pretty well and I burn about 3 large wheelbarrow loads of wood a week. Way less than the old stove.

I have a BK with fans.
Different set-up but my fans won't kick on if the stove is cold. But that is just a temp switch
that supplies power to the rheostat & I can vary the speed anytime.
Sounds like a rheostat issue but could be a temp switch bypassing the rheostat
to run on high until the stove comes up to temp. Don't sound right but can you find a schematic of the wiring?
It may be something they wired into an insert to get lots of air moving on start-up.
Has it always operated like you describe?
If no, then it sure sounds like a dirty, worn rheostat or faulty.
My manual has a trouble shooting section, you may find something in the manual for your insert.

Knowing nothing about BK specifics, that could be dirty contacts in the rheostat. You could try buying a contact cleaner spray--Radio Shack or Best Buy might carry one, and trh that. Or just turn the rheostat knob a bunch of times and see if that cleans the contacts.

It sounds like an issue with the rheostat, but not being there in person this is just a guess. Your local dealer should be able to help, especially if it's still under warranty.

I'm a little confused. Are you saying the blower won't work when the thermostat is on the low setting, or with the blower knob at the low setting?

The stove has a snap disc switch that wont allow the blower to run at all when the stove is cold.

No, not the thermostat just the fan setting. If the stove is cold and I turn the fan on low it is barely moving any air. Once it is on for a while then the fan starts to blow harder. Even if the stove is a little warm the fan does the same thing. I am pretty sure that it didn't do this when new. Maybe a faulty Reostat or just dirty. Thanks. Pete

Hey maybe ILL start an Oslo fan club, what do you think?

kgrant said:
I'm a little confused. Are you saying the blower won't work when the thermostat is on the low setting, or with the blower knob at the low setting?

The stove has a snap disc switch that wont allow the blower to run at all when the stove is cold.
It does not have a manual override?

Hanko said:
Hey maybe ILL start an Oslo fan club, what do you think?

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.